LG c9 OLED

Soldato
I think this is what puts me off OLED on top of the retention/burn-in:

SDR Sustained 100% Window

QLED 558 cd/m²
OLED 141 cd/m²

Yup, also a big consideration for me, as good as the OLEDs are for dark scenes & in a dark room, so are high-end LCDs for bright scenes. As you say, there is no perfect TV, so you have to choose based on your own preferences, that's why neither OLED nor QLED wins outright. You can see what this means in a real example here:

Caporegime
Yeah that's a good example of the Automatic Backlight Limiter (ABL) although it's not as obvious as the example I mentioned, it is a problem with OLED's I feel and like I said I'd be willing to give up some black level to avoid such dimming. People have to make a choice based on usage conditions and personal preference.

Soldato
prepare some hevc samples on a usb stick .... rip from utube hdr's maybe
a) the game from @Poneros ' s post (thought that was a fairly dark room, for qled advantage)
b) the Sandra bullock star sequence to challenge the qled

thought this was interesting about fald 'implementations', from different vendors with some further film examples

The biggest thing to talk about with the Samsung Q8F is the implementation of their local dimming for the full array backlight in the Q8F. Samsung has made a very distinct choice here to avoid blooming artifacts and to preserve highlight details that impact the performance of everything else. This has some positive benefits, which I think many people will like, but also some negative ones that come up.

Watching clips from the 4K Blu-ray of Batman vs. Superman, I compared the Q8F to the Sony Z9D and the Vizio P65-F1. On very bright highlights, they each offered very distinct takes. The Sony was easily the brightest but would clip very bright highlights as white and miss some fine details. The Vizio would try to maintain peak brightness but still keeping highlight details, though due to a lack of saturation the overall highlight was mostly white, while the Sony only had the clipped section as white and the rest has color. With the Q8F, it would keep the highlight color, and also maintain the detail in it. So at first glance, this looked better than the rest, offering both improved saturation and full details.

However, Samsung does this by reducing the peak brightness far more than the other displays. While they will track the EOTF correctly here, Samsung will reduce the light output of everything to maintain that detail that I saw. So while you might see a bright highlight that keeps its color, that highlight isn’t nearly as bright and vivid as it would be on a display from another company.

This behavior carries over when you look at scenes in outer space on Gravity. The other two displays keep the starfield completely visible on this ***SDR*** disc, while on the Q8F the stars are almost completely invisible. In attempting to not add blooming artifacts with the full array backlight, the Samsung is crushing details and they are not visible at all. This also causes it to have some shadow crushing in very dark areas, as it again tries to avoid haloing artifacts and reduces the backlight too much. When watching sports or brighter content you won’t see this, but you can notice it directly next to another display.

The local dimming also takes a bit of time to react on quick cuts. Watching The Equalizer on 4K Blu-ray, there is a shot early in the film that cuts to a room in his house, and you can see the room dim as it is cutting from a brighter scene to a dim room. It looks as if they are dimming the lights in the room after it switches, but it is just from the reaction time of the Q8F. Overall this behavior is the reason that while I think the 1300+ nits that the Q8F can produce is a great number, I don’t think you’ll almost ever see that in real life. Maybe a firmware update will improve this down the line, but currently, the backlight is so aggressive in preventing blooming that it has overall lower light output

Soldato
@jpaul Yup, Samsung being Samsung. But can't blame them, if you look at all the advertising, excuse me, reviews by the major sites, they all praise the controlled blooming but barely even ding it for losing all sorts of shadow detail. Same story with earlier oleds. In fact, just yesterday I was slamming AVF for their Q70R vs XG95 comparison for yapping on and on about blooming but barely mentioning the loss of detail. Tbf that site is very blatant in their Samsung shilling, and have been for years, but still. How can supposed videophiles be so bothered by blooming but not loss of details? It's mind boggling.

This is why I really like Sony. They do the best they can to minimise blooming but don't sacrifice the picture for it. If you really hate that, then there's the option of going OLED. It makes no sense to me that some companies would rather try to have their LCDs be ******** OLEDs than excellent LCDs.

Soldato
Yup, also a big consideration for me, as good as the OLEDs are for dark scenes & in a dark room, so are high-end LCDs for bright scenes. As you say, there is no perfect TV, so you have to choose based on your own preferences, that's why neither OLED nor QLED wins outright. You can see what this means in a real example here:

Lucky for me most of my games aren't that bright as the AC games.

There are aspects on both screens that I like, but neither is perfect. The OLED isn't as bright, but has better colors and the dark areas are better. The QLED gets brighter, but the colors look more washed and parts of the screen have detail loss - for example the buildings and islands in the background have much less detail on the QLED. This seems to be common for QLED when most of the screen is affected by a bright HDR scene - the brightness overlaps into other areas of the screen that should be darker - I suppose when you're looking in the background, those buildings etc are pretty small and so they probably overlap with dimming zones showing a bright image causing those dark areas to look brighter than they should and as such appear washed out

Taken from that video - the OLED on the left has much more detail in the clouds and city in the background and everything looks washed out on the QLED

gi02gskf.pk5.png

Last edited:
Soldato
@Grim5 I think you're getting tricked by camera & compression again. Watching it in 4K it's not obvious at all, but it wouldn't behave that way regardless, at least not on sub 1000 nit highlights and certainly not when you have two TVs with different brightness levels & characteristics, filmed from quite a distance and then shown in compressed footage on youtube.

xx

Soldato
Most of the gaming comparisons I've seen where they use an AC game is done during the day to show off the brighter highlights of the q90r - but this video used the game at night which showed a massive win for the oled.
I was very surprised to see how much cleaner the colors look and how much better the contrast is in this game - in addition the Q90R almost looks like it has a white film or layer on top, like a bit of mist

gdleb3ox.4i5.jpg

ypmjhwzl.rdz.jpg

OLED look so much better in both these example's :)

Caporegime
Taken from that video - the OLED on the left has much more detail in the clouds and city in the background and everything looks washed out on the QLED

gi02gskf.pk5.png

I think the reason for the bluriness is those are slightly different frames because if you watch the video the QLED lags behind a little and is still panning (motion blur?), you can tell by the clipped buildings on the right.

Here is after the panning:
Untitled.jpg

The biggest difference I can see is a lack of light intensity on the OLED, you say QLED looks washed out but isn't that the point in HDR? the QLED is able to render the whole scene a lot brighter.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought HDR was only for highlights? I never got to test it out in this game as HDR wouldn't work for me on PC for this particular game - I could turn it on but it looks awful and so it's a bit broken, which is common on PC anyway, could be a software issue on my side too.

New comparison video up today.

Q90R left, C9 right. The way the reds and oranges are handled seems to be rather different which Vincent also discussed in his review
1roc03yw.ega.jpg

You can see it here on the pencil scene too, very different images

ceqtkyeg.ufy.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
With regards to the brightness/ABL stuff, With over 2+k hours on my e7, can't say I have ever noticed it other than maybe 5 times at most, the blacks and the contrast ratio on the other hand, you notice far more often and when you see scenes like in gravity, star wars and so on where you have scenes of pure blackness etc., it really is jaw dropping.

And again, you aren't really losing "detail", yes, you might not see detail that LCDs show but then again, LCDs haven't been displaying dark scenes "correctly" so it does seem very jarring and almost completely wrong when you see OLED in dark scenes for the first time but this is the more "correct" image. Like I said before, that is one "disadvantage" with oled, it will show flaws in the source etc. a lot more than any LCD display as LCD "masks" the issues with it's low contrast ratio and so on.

As for HDR, I haven't watched the entire video but has the guy adjusted the in game HDR settings to be correct for both sets i.e. the brightness and white paper setting or whatever it is called? Been a while since I played ACO.

For films, LG's native HDR tone mapping etc. is great but I far prefer madvr with MPC HC, LG's method is a lot brighter than madvrs though so if you like "brightness" then it may not be the best method to use but you can adjust madvr to work exactly the way you want.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-d...ving-madvr-hdr-sdr-mapping-projector-189.html

Have a look through this thread and you will see some comparisons of madvr and LG etc. own HDR methods, again, madvr may look incorrect and so on but it is actually the correct way.

Soldato
New comparison video up today.
that's good ... could take those LG samples to an audition too. seemed a win for the oled

After looking at the daylight game example again, as commented, conclusion on clouds is limited by the utube capture&encoding, the display won't be syncd with the phone either, the game 'rendering' (I forget is the xbox really 4k inside) inferior to the 'real-life' shots from chess examples etc.

Did wonder if you can take along hdr still jpeg's to an audition ... although I don't have an hdr capable camera,
when will @Raymond Lin start taking hdr pictures for the food threads ?

Soldato
Just seen that LG are will also be releasing the B9 OLED and it features HDMI 2.1/VRR/eARC ect and even though it features the A7 gen2 chip it still has a lot of features the C9 has and is £500 cheaper.

Could be my next OLED:D

Caporegime
Just been looking at prices and the C9 65" OLED works out cheaper than the Q90R 65" so another reason to go with the C9. its crazy to think OLED is now cheaper than most current high end LCD screens.

More and more manufacturers and jumping in to OLED now i have just seen a Hisense OLED launching soon so hopefully prices will keep coming down..

have they fixed the macro blocking issue yet with a firmware update?

Soldato
Just seen that LG are will also be releasing the B9 OLED and it features HDMI 2.1/VRR/eARC ect and even though it features the A7 gen2 chip it still has a lot of features the C9 has and is £500 cheaper.

Could be my next OLED:D

Here is the kicker lol - I just checked my local electronics store - they have the B9 already and the C9 is on sale atm while the B9 is not. So right now the C9 is $200 cheaper than the B9 at this store

Back
Top Bottom