LG c9 OLED

Soldato
Samsung’s 8k tv is not good that’s why
They wanted to first to market and cut a lot of corners - the microscope pixel zoom shows this off clearly

there used to be an old meme that went around gaming circles after a manufacturer said “our console will have the best looking pixels”

and this case it’s kinda true - Samsung tried to fit 32 million pixels into a panel but the quality of each pixel is not up to scratch.

many reviews commented that the microscope pixel structure is so bad that the panel likely does not actually meet the mandatory minimum requirements for panel contrast

Associate
Good times.... C9 55" ordered from RS. £1424.

It's replacing my trusty Samsung 46F8000.

Not a bad price currently. I guess you managed to wiggle a 5 percent discount? :)

You have the exact same TV as me in the living room, I got it ex display from Richersounds 5 years ago and it's never missed a beat. Very happy with it.

Will be good to hear how you find the C9 compares to the Sammy :D

Soldato
Good times.... C9 55" ordered from RS. £1424.
I took the same deal! Wasn't planning to upgrade till Black Friday rolled around but saw they'd dropped the price on these recently. When's yours due? Mine should be arriving tomorrow.
That is such a massive upgrade!
I think I can compete in this arena too. I'm upgrading from an LG 50PK350, it's been struck by lightning so the tuner doesn't work, and has started to ghost quite badly. Hell of a TV though to survive the last 9 years.

Soldato
I took the same deal! Wasn't planning to upgrade till Black Friday rolled around but saw they'd dropped the price on these recently. When's yours due? Mine should be arriving tomorrow.

I think I can compete in this arena too. I'm upgrading from an LG 50PK350, it's been struck by lightning so the tuner doesn't work, and has started to ghost quite badly. Hell of a TV though to survive the last 9 years.

@Nemiyen
Tv75 if anyone is interested in the discount code. I nabbed free next day delivery too.

Mine is arriving tomorrow I hope, yes big upgrade indeed. I've been waiting a while to jump on OLED so I'm eager to get it up and running.

Soldato
Mine is arriving tomorrow I hope, yes big upgrade indeed. I've been waiting a while to jump on OLED so I'm eager to get it up and running.
Are you planning to use the USB DVR functionality? I've been looking at what sort of USB devices you can attach and the guidance seems slightly picky for the live playback/rewind functions. I was hoping to just use a USB pen drive, but it looks like I'll need a proper portable HDD.

Soldato
Are you planning to use the USB DVR functionality? I've been looking at what sort of USB devices you can attach and the guidance seems slightly picky for the live playback/rewind functions. I was hoping to just use a USB pen drive, but it looks like I'll need a proper portable HDD.

I think the C9s come with a newer version of WebOS than my B7 has so hopefully the DVR functionality is improved; on the B7 I gave up using it after a week and went back to using my BT TV box.

Soldato
Do they have standard vesa mount holes at the back? I have stands unique TV stand
Yeh, 300 x 200 for the 55 I believe. Not sure if it's the same on the 65.
I think the C9s come with a newer version of WebOS than my B7 has so hopefully the DVR functionality is improved; on the B7 I gave up using it after a week and went back to using my BT TV box.
Fingers crossed. We use live pausing a lot, so that's the main feature we need to work well.

Associate
I snagged a 65" B9 from Richer Sounds after the decent price cuts. It's replacing an 11 year old 42" Panasonic so will hopefully be a nice upgrade. I specifically wanted hdmi 2.1 for gaming (X1s currently and next gen next year) I realise the B9 isn't going to get the G-sync update, is there going to be a significant difference not having G-sync?

Soldato
I snagged a 65" B9 from Richer Sounds after the decent price cuts. It's replacing an 11 year old 42" Panasonic so will hopefully be a nice upgrade. I specifically wanted hdmi 2.1 for gaming (X1s currently and next gen next year) I realise the B9 isn't going to get the G-sync update, is there going to be a significant difference not having G-sync?
Check out coldtires post here, it seems quite well informed regarding the true nature of VRR on consoles: https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/c2b3kj/lg_c9_vrr_on_x1x_confused/

Ultimately it doesn't look like you'd be missing out on much now with many games still targeting 30fps. When next gen comes around if they start to set the bottom bar at about 40fps then VRR might have a much bigger effect.

Soldato
Check out coldtires post here, it seems quite well informed regarding the true nature of VRR on consoles: https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/c2b3kj/lg_c9_vrr_on_x1x_confused/

Ultimately it doesn't look like you'd be missing out on much now with many games still targeting 30fps. When next gen comes around if they start to set the bottom bar at about 40fps then VRR might have a much bigger effect.

As I understand it below 48 fps TVs supporting VRR should do double / triple flash to achieve smoothness? The same tech for movie watching, 24fps -> 120hz (not interpolation, just 5 flash).

Back
Top Bottom