What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime
Had one of those yesterday, not as close as yours, but the crucial difference was that the car who wandered into my lane had absolutely no reason to do so as his lane was clear in front of him. Gave him a couple of flashes in the hope he'd move back, instead he brake tested me and gave me the finger. Unfortunately, he'd failed to notice the police car about 1m from my back bumper. I reckon the officer would have overlooked the pulling out as that sort of thing happens every journey here, but he was most unhappy about the brake test. Came back the same way a couple of hours later and they were loading the guy's car onto a recovery truck, guessing he didn't have tax / insurance / license. Karma :p

Awesome! :p

But yeah at one point I thought this is it, not for me, but for my car certainly! Fortunately a combination of standing on the brakes, leaning on the horn, and steering right to the curb of the road, were enough to avoid a colission by mere inches.

If I were in the E30 with its lack of ABS and vastly inferior brakes, I'd probably be in hospital and my car would be toast.

Associate
Dirty bugger
Haha, If you're thinking what I think you thought I meant, then it's you that's the dirty bugger.

On another more serious note, I filled up with unicorn pee today for a change, or so you'd think going off the £1.46/L shell charge for it.

Normally use momentum but decided to try different fuel to see if it has anything to do with a slight misfire, hope it doesn't cure it in some regards as I don't fancy the 17p per litre for the privilege .

Soldato
Awesome! :p

But yeah at one point I thought this is it, not for me, but for my car certainly! Fortunately a combination of standing on the brakes, leaning on the horn, and steering right to the curb of the road, were enough to avoid a colission by mere inches.

If I were in the E30 with its lack of ABS and vastly inferior brakes, I'd probably be in hospital and my car would be toast.
In that scenario, can you claim off the other persons insurance for damages to your car in order to avoid collission?

Associate
Where’s/when’s the misfire
Sub 2000rpm
4,5,6,7 gear.
You wouldn't normally be in that gear at those revs when accelerating hard, but you should still be able to .
No fault codes, spark plugs and Lambda sensors have been changed.
Mostly points to cool packs but will look at running a few tests on them next.

Caporegime
If I'd gone up the curb instead, it probably would have done more damage than hitting them. Easier to replace bumpers than suspension arms (for example) lol.

It can be done but good luck proving it was 100% their fault.
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone successfully doing this, insurance companies like to wriggle out of things and -technically- any damage caused by avoiding an accident, was your fault. As cynical as that sounds...
Dashcam enough?
This would be interesting to know. I suspect it depends on the individual case.

Caporegime
Sub 2000rpm
4,5,6,7 gear.
You wouldn't normally be in that gear at those revs when accelerating hard, but you should still be able to .
Yeh think of those poor bearings. Fuel might help actually. A few people have issues on momentum on the s65

Soldato
Sub 2000rpm
4,5,6,7 gear.

Get a cheap OBD2 adapter and Torque app and it'll tell you if it's misfiring and which cylinders.

Soldato
Discovered some **** had hit my car while I left it at the train station. Parked right at the back of Havant station, in a single space away from everything else and still some **** manages to do this. Didn't notice it at first, only when I went out to the shops and noticed a huge white scuff on the front. Most of it wiped off but it's still left looking like this:

IMG-4028.jpg

On the plus side there's no dents, cracks or gouges so it should be straightforward to sort out. Not sure it's worth getting a full bumper respray so I'll see what luck, if any, I'll get with smart repairers. I had much worse repaired on one of my older cars for £200 so here's hoping I can get it done for less than that.

Associate
You seriously have to park/drive for most other people. I don't really care too much about my Corolla but my Glanza V I always park away from where people can hit/dent it. For instance I don't park next to people carriers due to kids etc and try to park next to high value vehicles if possible. So far it seems to have worked. Obviously in a train station it's kinda hard to avoid. :(

Some **** hit my mums car the other month and just drove off without a care in the world, now she has to go to a body shop to repair the damage. Wish I could catch the ********* on camera just to see them squirm.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
When I had cars I cared about I found them sat alone in a car park made them an easier target in some ways. Those who can't park tend to try park away from other cars. I aim to park next to nicer cars than my own that look cared for instead. At the minimum at least one side is less likely to get damaged for some period.

Looks like it might be smart repairable for the most part, but money you never want to soend nor a claim you ever want to make. People appear to be very self-absorbed these days though and simply don't care so it's to be expected sadly.

Soldato
Discovered some **** had hit my car while I left it at the train station. Parked right at the back of Havant station, in a single space away from everything else and still some **** manages to do this. Didn't notice it at first, only when I went out to the shops and noticed a huge white scuff on the front. Most of it wiped off but it's still left looking like this:

On the plus side there's no dents, cracks or gouges so it should be straightforward to sort out. Not sure it's worth getting a full bumper respray so I'll see what luck, if any, I'll get with smart repairers. I had much worse repaired on one of my older cars for £200 so here's hoping I can get it done for less than that.

People who cant park tend to find quiet areas to park in.

My mum, for example, would have parked next to you.

Caporegime
People who cant park tend to find quiet areas to park in.

My mum, for example, would have parked next to you.

Tell your Mum to park at least one space away from someone and not be a nutcase. :p

Drained the gearbox, couldn't get the fill plug off! hilarity ensues...

Turn whole car upside down, fill from drain plug, done. :p

Back
Top Bottom