• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Where did she say that though? All I can see is that she said the 3800X is "now the 8 core device for the enthusiast gamer" which is a very specifically chosen phraseology. Note that she didn't say "now the device for the enthusiast gamer".

As you yourself say, context matters. We have no more context than what she actually said... which is that the 3800X is the 8 core enthusiast's choice.
Fair point I guess I inadvertently paraphrased her. I still think the 3800X is just below the boost clock of the 3900X for marketing. Would be surprised if that turns out to not be the case. 'The 8 core device for the enthusiast gamer' is a very interesting turn of phrase too. IMO she's saying the 9900K and it's variants are going to be less good compared to the 3800X. I don't think the inter-core latency will be a feature problem for the 12c anyway having run a 1950X for a year and a half without any serious issues.

Soldato
Fair point I guess I inadvertently paraphrased her. I still think the 3800X is just below the boost clock of the 3900X for marketing. Would be surprised if that turns out to not be the case. 'The 8 core device for the enthusiast gamer' is a very interesting turn of phrase too. IMO she's saying the 9900K and it's variants are going to be less good compared to the 3800X. I don't think the inter-core latency will be a feature problem for the 12c anyway having run a 1950X for a year and a half without any serious issues.

You aren't the only one - a lot of people seem to have missed the devil in the details! In all the videos I've seen, Lisa is very specific in her phrasing and knows what she's doing when speaking publicly.

There is still so much we don't know - as I mentioned earlier it's possible the 12 core can boost higher when unleashed from it's TDP due in part to lower thermal density with 6 cores per chiplet rather than 8. Perhaps it's hamstrung by overall TDP in comparison to the 3800X, but then how will that compare when using the enthusiast boards with seemingly endless gobs of VRM and custom cooling solutions that can remove all that extra heat?

How will the L3 cache be setup, and will the 12 core benefit from the larger amount in gaming, or will it suffer due to possible increased latency from the 2 chiplet design?

So many unknowns, especially with this completely new approach to chip design.

That is why I think it's an error to try and claim that one will be definitively better than the other at gaming until we actually see cold hard benchmarks. I suspect that it will vary depending upon the game being benched.

EDIT - as an aside I also posted an interesting video a while back from coreteks showing the use of AI to effectively make single threaded applications or games massively multithreaded. I'm sure over the next couple of years we will see a lot more about this, and potentially it might change the arithmetic on what effect more cores has on gaming... but that is all hypothetical and doesn't change the here and now of course.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I did not say difficult, Its about compatibility. M.2 drive are limited so we end up with 1 or 2 M.2/PCIe drives and the rest are SATA. A faster SATA interface would be more useful than M.2.

NO your said "M.2 is not very good as they are a pain to install and use."

to install
Put it in a slot and tighten 1 screw

to use
plugged in and just installed windows no messing

your next question
Its about compatibility. M.2 drive are limited so we end up with 1 or 2 M.2/PCIe drives and the rest are SATA

i have 1 1tb m.2 and 1 2tb HDD, it just works its not hard. did you complain about IDE ?

Associate
who GAF if the 3900x is better/worse than the 3800x for games. All this speculation is getting quite boring now. two days till we find out more so why not just wait till we get more information.

Soldato

"The 3800x is now the 8 core device for the enthusiast gamer"

OK can we now move on :)

She also said that the 3900X is a "phenomenal gaming CPU".

Way I see it, it's inconclusive and marketing lingo, because she knows the 3900X will be out of reach of many pockets. So the phrasing "8 core device for..." leaves room for possible "12 core device for... enthusiast gamer" as well. Will just have to see.

Caporegime
NO because 3900x.. remember its for gamers (so its the best)

imagen is intel said i9 pfff just buy i5 its all you need....

Wording, she defiantly said the 3800X was the one aimed at gamers, if i remember the slide correct it said the 3900X would be the best 12 core gaming CPU, which would also be correct as Ryzen 2000 is a better Gaming CPU than Intel's latest Skylake-X. :)

Soldato
Wording, she defiantly said the 3800X was the one aimed at gamers, if i remember the slide correct it said the 3900X would be the best 12 core gaming CPU, which would also be correct as Ryzen 2000 is a better Gaming CPU than Intel's latest Skylake-X. :)

She didn't though... this is the last time I'm going to write this, people are not listening to what she actually said.

She very specifically said the 3800X is "now the 8 core device for the enthusiast gamer", not "the device" and then later went on to talk about bringing 12 cores to gaming and how the 3900X was the "absolute no compromise" product and a "phenomenal gaming cpu". No where did she ever say X or Y is the one for gamers, this is the best one for gaming, or anything to that effect. People are inferring or paraphrasing and missing the details of what she said but then trying to argue that they must be right because Lisa said so. She quite simply didn't.

This thread moves so fast that I can't be bother posting this again, so this is the last time and you can all go on believing what makes you happy. The fact of the matter is we simply do not know which will be the gaming performance king at this point... might well be the 9900KS ;) (but I am personally cheering for AMD this time!)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok, i could remember exactly and i don't care, i really don't. :)

You cared enough to post...albeit it being complete BS :p

She didn't though... this is the last time I'm going to write this, people are not listening to what she actually said.

She very specifically said the 3800X is "now the 8 core device for the enthusiast gamer" and then later went on to talk about bringing 12 cores to gaming and how the 3900X was the "absolute no compromise" product. No where did she ever say X or Y is the one for gamers, this is the best one for gaming, or anything to that effect. People are inferring or paraphrasing and missing the details of what she said but then trying to infer that they must be right because Lisa said so. She didn't.

This thread moves so fast that I can't be bother posting this again, so this is the last time and you can all go on believing what makes you happy.

QFT

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

She very specifically said the 3800X is "now the 8 core device for the enthusiast gamer" and then later went on to talk about bringing 12 cores to gaming and how the 3900X was the "absolute no compromise" product. No where did she ever say X or Y is the one for gamers, this is the best one for gaming, or anything to that effect. People are inferring or paraphrasing and missing the details of what she said but then trying to argue that they must be right because Lisa said so. She quite simply didn't.

This thread moves so fast that I can't be bother posting this again, so this is the last time and you can all go on believing what makes you happy.

You're right. They haven't said which is best for gaming. Obviously some of the cores will go to waste on the 3900X when gaming right now, and we can speculate as to whether one will be better than the other because of "x" or "y" but it's wrong to make out that AMD declared the 8 core the better gaming chip, or vice versa.

"AMD is pushing gaming beyond 8 cores, and today I am so proud to introduce the new Ryzen 9 family.... this is the no compromise product.... and when we say no compromise, we mean that it's a phenomenal multithreaded CPU, but it's a phenomenal gaming CPU as well."

Back
Top Bottom