• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Well their next CPU is two (or 3...or 4... god knows) years away desktop-wise, by then AMD will be prepping Zen4 while having Zen 3 out i believe, so it wont matter.

Permabanned
Well their next CPU is two years away desktop-wise, by then AMD will be prepping Zen4 while having Zen 3 out i believe, so it wont matter.

I suspect intel will pull SunnyCove forward and if there're ES right now, then their release should be much closer.
In CPU-Z, Mattise gives around 10% IPC betterment over coffeelake, on average it must be less.
The leaked slide https://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-ice...met-lake-amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-z-benchmark-leak/ gives the SunnyCove on average 18% IPC betterment over Skylake.

Associate
The leaked slide https://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-ice...met-lake-amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-z-benchmark-leak/ gives the SunnyCove on average 18% IPC betterment over Skylake.
You should understand that IPC gain includes AVX-512, if you are going to expect that IPC uplift on programs we usually use, you are going to be disapointed... Also their 10nm is showing 1Ghz less than older 14nm++. On desktop it is also going to go against Zen3 not Zen2.

Last year I wanted to update from 2600K to 8 core Ryzen and now I want 12 cores. Damn you AMD...

Soldato
Very, very interesting if true: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/6164223711 :eek:

:eek:
xkshvt.png
You can see that Comet Lake is essentially the same as Coffee Lake, as expected, but "Sunny Cove", which is meant to be in their 10nm CPU, looks to have a large IPC bump finally. The question is how long it'll take for 10nm desktop parts to appear.

Soldato
You can see that Comet Lake is essentially the same as Coffee Lake, as expected, but "Sunny Cove", which is meant to be in their 10nm CPU, looks to have a large IPC bump finally. The question is how long it'll take for 10nm desktop parts to appear.

Desktop parts are due Q1 '21 with Sunny Cove at the core (see what I did there!) they might be able to get them out Q4' 20 if they push things, it also depends on how mcuh fabrication space they have based on the losses at the Xeon/DC level, as lower demand there will allow faster deployment elsewhere in their line up.

Associate
I have no doubt Intel will see a good IPC increase, but that good? I'm not sure. I just want my 3900x now, k?

Presumably sunny cove has AVX512 - I could see that sort of increase being likely in a benchmark that uses those instructions heavily (I've no idea if this benchmark does) even if normal IPC increase is more modest.

Soldato
Hmm.. thinking of holding onto my 5820k which still performs well for me, USB 4 next year and DDR5 (possibly..) might just get them all at once with an even better uplift in CPU perf if Intel release SunnyCove next year, more competition. Are Intel even able to bring it forward that much though? Thought it would take them another 2 years or so.

Soldato

So Intel have found a 40% IPC improvement after minimal gains with SkyLake/KabyLake/CoffeeLake. Which itself wasn't a massive improvement over Haswell/Broadwell.

I don't believe that for a second.

Even the AMD numbers there seem a little hard to believe. According to that the 3700X/3800X will crush the 9900KS. Even the 3600X looks amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm.. thinking of holding onto my 5820k which still performs well for me, USB 4 next year and DDR5 (possibly..) might just get them all at once with an even better uplift in CPU perf if Intel release SunnyCove next year, more competition. Are Intel even able to bring it forward that much though? Thought it would take them another 2 years or so.

Yes, but when you say next year, you are talking 15-17 months from now, not at the start of 2020, well not for desktop. Their priority is holding onto the Xeon market, and laptop low power segments.

Associate
Yeah it will be some update to AVX that has potentially a 40% increase in performance, in normal use ... 4% lol.
By the time this squirts out of intels behind it will be up against zen3, doubt that AMD will be leaving the performance leadership open to an intel comeback next year.

Back
Top Bottom