Healthy Lunches

Associate
Hi all

I'm looking for suggestions on what to have for lunch, something healthy, and doesn't require cooking / heating before eating. I can prep it in the evenings ready for the next day, so it doesn't matter if i need to prepare it. I'm really bored of sandwiches and am trying to reduce my bread intake. Your replies can include you ideas or what you people do yourselves for lunch.
I did try huel for a couple of months, but I got to the point where I wasn't as satisfied as when I first started drinking it.

Fire away!

Cheers :)

Soldato
Always on the look out for some ideas, so will keep an eye on the thread.

Avoiding / having no bread is a nightmare for lunches!

Man of Honour
It depends on what you don't mind eating cold? I will literally eat anything cold and not be fussed in the slightest so it means I can make whatever I like for lunch, my mrs on the other hand won't eat anything cold other than salads.

Soldato
I cook a batch of whole-wheat couscous or Bulgar wheat in Sunday night, buy some cooked chicken (or use leftovers) and prep every morning with beetroot, cucumber, tomatoes, spinach and any extras I fancy (carrots, radishes etc). Takes 10mins Sunday night and 5mins every morning. Easy. No need to make it any more complicated although if you have more time you can. Keep a proper bowl at work and dressing separate.

Caporegime
I cook a batch of whole-wheat couscous or Bulgar wheat in Sunday night, buy some cooked chicken (or use leftovers) and prep every morning with beetroot, cucumber, tomatoes, spinach and any extras I fancy (carrots, radishes etc). Takes 10mins Sunday night and 5mins every morning. Easy. No need to make it any more complicated although if you have more time you can. Keep a proper bowl at work and dressing separate.

Bulgar and Quinoa is delicious and you can mix it with all sorts of stuff as you say.

Associate
OP
Bulgar and Quinoa is delicious and you can mix it with all sorts of stuff as you say.

I've had quinoa previously, but not bulgar, might give it a go. I've also used cous cous a few times to make a kind of salad.
I'm growing salad leaves in the garden so have those to mix up into what ever I make aswell.

Soldato
I view bulgar wheat much like quinoa's less successful cousin. But it's much cheaper and probably just as good for you. Just don't cook it for as long as the packet says, 8-10mins tops otherwise it goes very mushy.

So yeah, my every day lunch is as follows;
- Bulgar wheat (3 tablespoons ish, try not to overload on carbs)
- Big handful of shredded roast chicken
- Chopped beetroot
- Chopped Cucumber
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chopped baby spinach or other leaves
- Jar of mustard, oil and balsamic dressing

But I love a good salad so don't get bored of that pretty much every day. I do that 3-4 days of the week and get a treat on a Friday. #sadroutinesforthewin

You could add pretty much any other veg/greens you like, pimp it up with mixed tinned beans, different meat/protein, cheese. A "salad" doesn't have to be a salad, it's basically anything cold right? :p

Soldato
Wraps are a decent alternative to bread (wholemeal) - one large wrap with salad/chicken/tuna/ham/egg - whatever you fancy. Make it up, roll and wrap in clingfilm so it's nice and tight and cut in half.

Man of Honour
Wraps are a decent alternative to bread (wholemeal) - one large wrap with salad/chicken/tuna/ham/egg - whatever you fancy. Make it up, roll and wrap in clingfilm so it's nice and tight and cut in half.
Most come out around the same macros as a couple of slices of normal bread though IIRC, so you're not really avoiding anything.

Soldato
I just have Huel now but before it was always a salad, usually with tinned mackerel. Handful of mixed salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, onion, olives, pine nuts, cashew nuts, pickled egg. What ever i have available. Dressing if i didnt have tinned fish was usually, sesame oil, rapeseed oil and cider vinegar.

Caporegime
I view bulgar wheat much like quinoa's less successful cousin. But it's much cheaper and probably just as good for you. Just don't cook it for as long as the packet says, 8-10mins tops otherwise it goes very mushy.

- Chopped beetroot
- Chopped Cucumber
- Cherry tomatoes

But I love a good salad so don't get bored of that pretty much every day. I do that 3-4 days of the week and get a treat on a Friday. #sadroutinesforthewin

You could add pretty much any other veg/greens you like, pimp it up with mixed tinned beans, different meat/protein, cheese. A "salad" doesn't have to be a salad, it's basically anything cold right? :p

Yep, this is what I used to do - the chicken.

I should start again. I'd just do a massive pot of Bulgar (and sometimes Quinoa) and just throw it veggies in it for lunch. Pesto added in is also delicious.

Also try the fitmen cook app, it's really good. Loads of options and the add to basket feature is really handy.

Soldato

- Chopped beetroot
- Chopped Cucumber
- Cherry tomatoes

I'm tempted to do something like that!

Although i'm not a fan of mustard/balsamic dressing, and i think oil is a bit strange, so need some alternatives to add a bit of flavour to the mix.

I bought a few of these (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61HAewpAFxL._SX385_.jpg) when i was in the shop a few weeks back and they were really nice. Not sure what peoples thoughts are on these quick pot meals, they're pretty low in calories and fat, and just have a dosage of salt content.

Soldato
Although i'm not a fan of mustard/balsamic dressing, and i think oil is a bit strange, so need some alternatives to add a bit of flavour to the mix.
Well I had it with some Newman's Own ranch dressing today, so :) But a spoonful of dijon mustard, topped up with oil and balsamic vinegar is probably healthier. I should mix it up a bit really. I used to faff and boil eggs to up the protein but that was too time-consuming, similar with carrot peels.

Man of Honour
Just something to be aware of it's very very easy to make an incredibly calorie laden albeit healthy salad if you use a little too much oily dressing.

Back
Top Bottom