Healthy Lunches

Man of Honour
While I understand it does turn your backside into a weapons grade biological threat, if it were any good as a food replacement, the military would have been using it for years already.

They wouldn't though as rations are as much about moral as food and no ones getting any moral from chugging back a MRP.

Soldato
Personally I've been having a small, undressed salad with some cooked chicken or somesuch ... Fits in a ~500ml cliptop storage box so simple to throw in a bag to bring in along with a 500ml thermal mug of chilled green tea to have with it.

Soldato
Soup. Not making them at the moment but I bought a soup maker a few years back and enjoyed making batches of various veggie concoctions and taking them to the office to microwave. Used to freeze some too if wouldn't get through in a day or so. Kept them fairly basic but with some stock, garlic (white or black sometimes to make a change) and chilli was really tasty. Even quicker was to use garlic puree and chilli puree. Chucked anything in, including curry powder, cherry tomatoes, tomatoe puree and chilli flakes sometimes. Probably better for the winter.

Soldato
Yeah, not really the weather for soup is it :p I find soup very unsatisfying for lunch, always need bread or something to stodge it up which rather ruins the point of it.

Personally I've been having a small, undressed salad with some cooked chicken or somesuch ... Fits in a ~500ml cliptop storage box so simple to throw in a bag to bring in along with a 500ml thermal mug of chilled green tea to have with it.
Sorry, but that sounds grim. Dry salad.. yuck!

Soldato
2x bananas
Apple
Handful of almonds

That's pretty much all you need for a healthy lunch to tide you over until dinner. Costs less than £1 and no need for any silly direct debit powdered drinks etc.

Soldato
Personally, I don`t think you can beat tasty home made food. None of these meal replacements which have been made in a lab! I also agree that you cant say theres anything natural in them either :D
Ease and convenience maybe so, however i refuse to believe for one second that its better than a tasty homemade fresh stew packed with as much veg as possible, oh and lets lob some chicken in there too for protein :D

Onto question to keep on topic. :D

As above casserole jammed full of veg and pearl barley

Vegetarian lasagne-however as you also use cheese sauce and pasta i get that it starts to get a little calorific.

Chilli con carne in batches is also good if you laden it with veg

Meat of choice salad wholemeal wraps

Caporegime
Well, we have an actual nutrition expert vs armchair experts....

sorry.

Unless you too are a nutrition expert not tied to any of these companies? :p

Then yeah...I would believe an actual expert but that's not to say they are not edible but I am just saying I personally would prefer actual food.

most nutrition experts are clueless though. they are using books in college / uni based on studies which were manipulated to make their thesis look good.

as in the link between saturated fat consumption and saturated fat in the body. there is no link but all the data that didn't correspond with the theses that there is a link was just disregarded. so all the data which did look like there is a link was kept.

so now everyone including nutritionists now believe all saturated fat is bad. when it's not.

Caporegime
most nutrition experts are clueless though. they are using books in college / uni based on studies which were manipulated to make their thesis look good.

as in the link between saturated fat consumption and saturated fat in the body. there is no link but all the data that didn't correspond with the theses that there is a link was just disregarded. so all the data which did look like there is a link was kept.

so now everyone including nutritionists now believe all saturated fat is bad. when it's not.

Are you saying someone with no knowledge, no research, and by reading some forums can know more about the body/food/biology/cells/nutrition than the experts?

What evidence do you have that these experts are "using books in college?" You do know that these experts, to be considered experts, a lot of them would be doing research, the whole point of research is into the unknown, not in books.

If the experts are clueless, that makes you have the IQ of a leaf.

You are just using one example where science got it wrong, sure, people used to think the world is flat. I get that, but the point is that some of the labelling alone is misleading and a lie. There is nothing natural about the Vanilla flavour system for example...You can't use 1 example of a failing to dismiss an entire profession only to believe a bunch of armchair experts.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
2x bananas
Apple
Handful of almonds

That's pretty much all you need for a healthy lunch to tide you over until dinner. Costs less than £1 and no need for any silly direct debit powdered drinks etc.
I'd be crawling the walls if that's all I ate between breakfast at 7am and dinner at 7pm.

Soldato
whether it was a suggestion from Chojin, or he eats that
.. but personally find bananas a bit indigestible/bulky if you are not eating them over-ripe (as you shouldn't ?) - I would prefer a plate of cabbage for the fiber.

Personally, I don`t think you can beat tasty home made food.
This - still relatively healthy, but making up excess home made pizza or lasagne at the weekend, to then have cold slices with a salad.

Caporegime
Are you saying someone with no knowledge, no research, and by reading some forums can know more about the body/food/biology/cells/nutrition than the experts?

What evidence do you have that these experts are "using books in college?" You do know that these experts, to be considered experts, a lot of them would be doing research, the whole point of research is into the unknown, not in books.

If the experts are clueless, that makes you have the IQ of a leaf.

You are just using one example where science got it wrong, sure, people used to think the world is flat. I get that, but the point is that some of the labelling alone is misleading and a lie. There is nothing natural about the Vanilla flavour system for example...You can't use 1 example of a failing to dismiss an entire profession only to believe a bunch of armchair experts.

the people with the best knowledge are professional bodybuilders and their trainers. i'm talking guys who won mr olympia, etc.

their diets are scrutuinsed and broken down to even things like mg of salt intake per day and how they build up or break down the amount of carbs / salt they will eat when gearing up for a competition.

they will only eat what they need to achieve the goal they desire so they know the effect of pretty much every ingredient out there and how it will effect their body.

sure there are a lot of amateur bodybuilders out there too trying to imitate them. but the guys who i would trust over any expert is the likes of kai greene, jay cutler, ronnie coleman, etc or whoever it was that designed their diet plans.

you seem to be missing my point. it's a corrupt industry.

the science said there was no link between saturated fat and heart disease. yet they took all the data that didn't correspond with what they wanted to find and deleted it. then used the ones that did for publishing their books which would then be read by the next generation of so called nutrition experts. they didn't get it wrong. it wasn't an accident. it was a conspiracy. they made it happen.

it's a corrupt industry and therefore these so called experts cannot be believed unless independently verified. neither can the books they publish.

i was at a party with a nutritionist who was studying at uni a year or two back. they were telling me avocados are bad for you and you should only have 1 or 2 a week. which is complete BS. they were blaming it on them being high in fat.

so yeah the books being taught to these experts are still all wrong.

Caporegime
the people with the best knowledge are professional bodybuilders and their trainers. i'm talking guys who won mr olympia, etc.

their diets are scrutuinsed and broken down to even things like mg of salt intake per day and how they build up or break down the amount of carbs / salt they will eat when gearing up for a competition.

they will only eat what they need to achieve the goal they desire so they know the effect of pretty much every ingredient out there and how it will effect their body.

sure there are a lot of amateur bodybuilders out there too trying to imitate them. but the guys who i would trust over any expert is the likes of kai greene, jay cutler, ronnie coleman, etc or whoever it was that designed their diet plans.

you seem to be missing my point. it's a corrupt industry.

the science said there was no link between saturated fat and heart disease. yet they took all the data that didn't correspond with what they wanted to find and deleted it. then used the ones that did for publishing their books which would then be read by the next generation of so called nutrition experts. they didn't get it wrong. it wasn't an accident. it was a conspiracy. they made it happen.

it's a corrupt industry and therefore these so called experts cannot be believed unless independently verified. neither can the books they publish.

i was at a party with a nutritionist who was studying at uni a year or two back. they were telling me avocados are bad for you and you should only have 1 or 2 a week. which is complete BS. they were blaming it on them being high in fat.

so yeah the books being taught to these experts are still all wrong.

These trainers and body builders are taking advice from who?

You?

I tell you who, people who are actual experts.

These Olympic athletes, footballers have a backroom of medical staff. Guess what they are, they have a degree in the relevant fields. Not forum armchair experts.

The corrupt industry.... the "experts" being paid to promote any product, like those scientists who were and still are paid by big tobacco to minimise their harm. Again, you are using one example to dismiss the entire profession, what kind of logic is this?

What kind of logic is this to dismiss independent expert and believe a bunch of men in the gym who's degree is probably have nothing to do with science. I bet when you are sick do you go to a doctor or do you go to your electrician right because a friend of a friend told you he had a great cure for the common cold?

Hearsay is no evidence, so your "friend" is irrelevant. Which again, you are using the SAME example about Sat Fats for like the 4th time (have you got anything else?) to support your argument to dismiss the whole profession. if this is a court, your hearsay won't even get through the door.

At the end of the day, you have hearsay and forum talk. That's all you've got to support it.

If this stuff really is great then they would feed famine with it, being so easy to transport, long lasting and cheap and all.

Why are you attacking the integrity of nutritionists anyway? You are literally calling them stupid and corrupt, all the same time you are happy to believe a bunch of people who did not study the subject at all, and their aim is to sell you the product to make money.

A nutritionist has nothing to gain by getting you to eat real food.

Whoever these people are who are saying these great things about these products either work for these shakes company or getting sponsors or paid by them one way or another, or a user of it themselves. At best it is a simple bias of being a user - I bought it, therefore, it is the best. At worst they are driven by money.

So who is corrupt?

Last edited:
Soldato
My missus has been making a fruit salad with strawberries, banana, berries, apple/pineapple and then adding some Super Seed Mix (from Lidl) with Golden Linseed (a very good protection against prostrate cancer apparently) Hemp seed and Chia seed. I also throw in some mixed nuts (also from Lidl) and add some raisins. Then finally a few health table spoons of Vanilla Soya Yoghurt (from Tesco's). It is really filling and I go through the whole afternoon until evening until feeling hungry again.

I wouldn't class us as Vegans but we're not much into meats and dairy.

Caporegime
These trainers and body builders are taking advice from who?

You?

I tell you who, people who are actual experts.

These Olympic athletes, footballers have a backroom of medical staff. Guess what they are, they have a degree in the relevant fields. Not forum armchair experts.

The corrupt industry.... the "experts" being paid to promote any product, like those scientists who were and still are paid by big tobacco to minimise their harm. Again, you are using one example to dismiss the entire profession, what kind of logic is this?

What kind of logic is this to dismiss independent expert and believe a bunch of men in the gym who's degree is probably have nothing to do with science. I bet when you are sick do you go to a doctor or do you go to your electrician right because a friend of a friend told you he had a great cure for the common cold?

Hearsay is no evidence, so your "friend" is irrelevant. Which again, you are using the SAME example about Sat Fats for like the 4th time (have you got anything else?) to support your argument to dismiss the whole profession. if this is a court, your hearsay won't even get through the door.

At the end of the day, you have hearsay and forum talk. That's all you've got to support it.

If this stuff really is great then they would feed famine with it, being so easy to transport, long lasting and cheap and all.

Why are you attacking the integrity of nutritionists anyway? You are literally calling them stupid and corrupt, all the same time you are happy to believe a bunch of people who did not study the subject at all, and their aim is to sell you the product to make money.

A nutritionist has nothing to gain by getting you to eat real food.

Whoever these people are who are saying these great things about these products either work for these shakes company or getting sponsors or paid by them one way or another, or a user of it themselves. At best it is a simple bias of being a user - I bought it, therefore, it is the best. At worst they are driven by money.

So who is corrupt?

I'm not talking about some shake all in 1 meal replacement. I'm talking about so called experts within the industry and nutritionists. You cannot believe anything they say.

I wouldn't touch a shake I hadn't made myself.

Caporegime
I would incline to believe them over some random on the internet.

where did i say you should seek the advice of a random?

i said the best experts out there are pro bodybuilders. they know exactly what food does what to the body down to every single minor effect. because that is what it takes to be a pro bodybuilder at mr olympia level.

Back
Top Bottom