Healthy Lunches

Soldato
Just something to be aware of it's very very easy to make an incredibly calorie laden albeit healthy salad if you use a little too much oily dressing.

100% this - a friend of mine who was claiming he couldn't loose weight despite eating chicken salads for lunch and dinner etc - I asked him to tell me what he was having in it - turns out he was pour on Caeser salad dressing, about 4 table spoons everytime....this was about 350/400 calories and about 50g of fat!!

Soldato
Just something to be aware of it's very very easy to make an incredibly calorie laden albeit healthy salad if you use a little too much oily dressing.
Yup. I have 30ml Systema dressing pots. Don't think I do too bad, it's mostly mustard/oil/vinegar. Occasionally Newmans :)

and quinoa simply because having to call it "keen-wah" sounds embarassingly pretentious and hipster!
Kin-owah? :p

Soldato
Maybe I'm more pretentious using bulgar wheat which 99% of people haven't even heard of. It's an unrefined grain doncha know :p

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Get yourself some huel, and frozen fruit.

2 sccops of huel, 1/5 bag frozen fruit. Blend up the night before, pop in fridge at home/work sorted.

Soldato
2 questions

1 - What do you mean by "before going on Huel". I thought Huel is a protien shake?
2 - Does that keep for 3 days or is that Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner?

Huel is a complete meal in liquid (well powder) format. You could live on the stuff if you actually wanted. It's much more than a protein shake.

What is Huel?

100% complete nutrition.
Sustainable ingredients and a balanced nutritional profile.

Huel is real food. Our products have been developed by James Collier, a registered nutritionist with over 25 years' experience.

Huel is made of an ultra-fine blend of sustainable ingredients. Oats, rice, peas, coconut, flaxseed, and our unique mix of vitamins and nutrients to provide you with all the carbohydrates, protein, fats, fibre, and all the 26 essential micronutrients your body needs to thrive.

As for question 2. I'd assume it would keep for 3 days in a fridge. Looks like carrot mash, and some chicken and boilled eggs. Can't see what would go bad with it as long as it's well sealed.

Soldato
Ah, Solent Green!

But what does he mean by going on Huel though.

Does he mean he used to eat that and now all he has is Huel 3 times a day?

Presume so, there are a lot of people who've posted in the Huel thread (it's either here in La Cuisine or in the Sports sub-forum) that say they have Huel for breakfast and lunch and then a regular meal for tea. Just removes the question/decision factor of what to eat and it's surprisingly filling and comes in around 500 calories per meal. More if you start adding frozen fruit for extra flavour.

Caporegime
Presume so, there are a lot of people who've posted in the Huel thread (it's either here in La Cuisine or in the Sports sub-forum) that say they have Huel for breakfast and lunch and then a regular meal for tea. Just removes the question/decision factor of what to eat and it's surprisingly filling and comes in around 500 calories per meal. More if you start adding frozen fruit for extra flavour.

Sounds like Slim Fast for men.

Caporegime
Common misconception that Huel is a fancy protein shake. Far from it.
Do some reading and you'll soon see it's anything but....

I don't have Huel 3 times a day, just for lunch.

Just did and this sentence stood out.

"But dieticians and nutritionists not tied to any of the meal replacement manufacturers are cautious. Fiona Lawson, a nutrition expert based in London, says that if you want to control your food intake, it’s best to opt for home-made smoothies from real food. “Claiming you can get all the nutrition you need from a manufactured drink is nothing short of hubris. We don’t yet know all the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and other substances that make up whole, natural food — so how can we possibly recreate it?” she asks. Comparing between the two, she says, “Huel seems to contain slightly fewer processed ingredients.”

and

"“cracking open a bottle of these products feels easy, throwing a pre-cooked salmon fillet, a cold sweet potato and a few salad leaves on a plate is just as quick — and far better for you.”

So, I still think it is a fancy Protein shake.

Sorry.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/huel-soylent-meal-replacement-drinks

Caporegime
Fair enough.

You're still wrong :p

Well, we have an actual nutrition expert vs armchair experts....

sorry.

Unless you too are a nutrition expert not tied to any of these companies? :p

Then yeah...I would believe an actual expert but that's not to say they are not edible but I am just saying I personally would prefer actual food.

Caporegime
So do I. That's why I have that for breakfast and dinner :)

I am reading more into this now as we speak but the more I read, the less I like the idea of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jul/31/huel-human-fuel-hi-tech-food-powder

But when I talk to Joanna Blythman, an investigative food writer who has written five books on the food industry, she scoffs at the idea that the ingredients are “natural”.

“There is almost nothing in there in its natural form. These are very, very technologically altered hi-tech ingredients. They’re the opposite of what whole, natural foods are. If I read that list of ingredients on a product on a supermarket shelf, I would have a major problem.

“Look at the eighth item on the ingredient list. It’s called a ‘vanilla flavour system’. I mean, seriously, what is that? It’s not vanilla extract or vanilla pods or vanilla grains or even vanilla essence. You are talking about the very rarified regions of food processing and industrial food chemistry where basic ingredients are being mucked around with and transformed. There are these very intense chemical sweeteners in there. There’s sucralose; that’s something like 200 times sweeter than sugar. There’s maltodextrin – that’s another sweetener. And xylitol – that’s another one. It’s all just rubbish. And then there’s ‘pea protein’, which sounds good, doesn’t it, but what the hell is it? You’re treating peas with a number of complex, chemical reactions to extract some sort of beige powder.

Yeah, not a fan. While I don't think it will kill you, or even be harmful, from what I gather with what i have read so far, I think i i have to disagree that it is a complete meal replacement like it is advertised or people claims that it is. Meal replacement, sure, but not complete.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom