Anyone with a CPAP machine go camping?

Soldato
OP
What tent is it?

I am now taking my philips CPAP away for two nights camping on a regular basis. I use a 12v cigarette/accessory socket lead direct from philips(£25), a clip on cigarette socket adapter (£5) and a 10Ah 12v agm lead acid battery(£20-30) and manage two nights no problem. Much cheaper than the Lithium packs. If I am going away for longer or in the car or van I have a bigger battery I take.

It’s a Cinch! 4 man with the Solar panel kit, sun reflector and front canopy. It’s a popup, but a high quality, double skinned one and the largest on the market I know of. It’s not super fancy, but it’s quick and easy which is what we like.

I’ll consider your option, sounds brilliant. What charger do you use?

Associate
It’s a Cinch! 4 man with the Solar panel kit, sun reflector and front canopy. It’s a popup, but a high quality, double skinned one and the largest on the market I know of. It’s not super fancy, but it’s quick and easy which is what we like.

I’ll consider your option, sounds brilliant. What charger do you use?
Sounds good I will be interested to hear how you get on with it. Im using a vango airbeam tent at the moment but it is a bit heavy and bulky. I use my Ctek charger that I use for my motorbike batteries but any smart charger that is suitable for low amp AGM batteries like motorcycle chargers should be ok. I would not want charge a 10Ah battery at any more than 2A.

Soldato
Hey guys, its good to know our family aren't the only ones in this situation. I've been looking at solutions for a while and came to the smae conclusions.

Our issue is powering the o2 concentrator, which takes 800watts and is obnoxiously loud. I've got 2 x 230ah sla batteries and a 6000w inverter in my van now, but this would only give a max of 11.5 hours. I'm trying to get them to prescribe a Sequal Eclipse, but even with the current setup, would give only 22 hours, but does away with the inverter.

Soldato
Pretty weird how many people on this forum have this problem when it's such a minuscule percentage of the populace. I'd never even heard of it until I opened this thread. Must be a right ******* pain trying to get to sleep wearing that contraption on your face though, and that's coming from someone who barely gets three hours a night due to illness.

Soldato
Pretty weird how many people on this forum have this problem when it's such a minuscule percentage of the populace. I'd never even heard of it until I opened this thread. Must be a right ******* pain trying to get to sleep wearing that contraption on your face though, and that's coming from someone who barely gets three hours a night due to illness.

In all honesty it's no trouble to sleep with it on. Prior to getting one I would take 2 hours or more to truly fall asleep. Now? < 15 mins!

Soldato
OP

I find mine mildly annoying occasionally, but that’s it. Definitely better than the alternative.

My sleep schedule is ruined due to illness too, so I’m grateful to get the best quality kips I can.

Soldato
OP
Sounds good I will be interested to hear how you get on with it. Im using a vango airbeam tent at the moment but it is a bit heavy and bulky. I use my Ctek charger that I use for my motorbike batteries but any smart charger that is suitable for low amp AGM batteries like motorcycle chargers should be ok. I would not want charge a 10Ah battery at any more than 2A.

I liked the look of the air tents, but as you say then seemed quite heavy. I’ll take some pics and post my feelings. It was an indiegogo campaign, so I don’t know if they’ll run another one for a while. They do have some spare stock I think.

Man of Honour
THREAD REVIVAL

I've just had my first week on my CPAP machine after telling the PreAMS Nurse of my sleep problems which in turn cancelled my full knee replacement for the third time :(
Apparently I stop breathing once a minute which results in me having a really bad sleep.

Anyway, I've always slept on my side and I'd like to know what pillows you recommend so it doesn't feel like something is poking in the side of my head?
I know I need a soft one but recommendations are always better.

Soldato
OP
THREAD REVIVAL

I've just had my first week on my CPAP machine after telling the PreAMS Nurse of my sleep problems which in turn cancelled my full knee replacement for the third time :(
Apparently I stop breathing once a minute which results in me having a really bad sleep.

Anyway, I've always slept on my side and I'd like to know what pillows you recommend so it doesn't feel like something is poking in the side of my head?

What machine have you got?

My mask is entirely comfortable, at least the strap section; I can sleep on my sides, and even my front, and certainly without feeling like my head's being poked :)

It may be that you have a particularly heavy duty setup, as your apnea sounds rather bad; about double the events required to classify it as severe.

As usual, alcohol, CNS depressants, weight and sleep hygiene are all important.

As for pillows; not cheap ones! Memory foam isn't much good, it's usually firm. Feather / down, or microfibre, would be my suggestion for a research starting point.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Philips Dreamstation and a nose mask.
Last night I woke up feeling like I'd got the Alien baby wrapped around my face.

You do get used to it, eventually. Mine was rough at first and I still wake up sometimes with a sore face but at least i'm not falling asleep all the time. It's also recently started having a go at my nose so i've got almost a constant blister on it that I can't seem to shift.

I sleep sat up on a mountain of memory foam and standard pillows now, I don't find it comfortable at all on my side.

Soldato
OP
I have the Philips Dreamstation and a nose mask.
Last night I woke up feeling like I'd got the Alien baby wrapped around my face.

I have the Dreamstation too, with humidifier. Don't particularly like nose masks, I have a mouth and nose one. If it's not completely clean I get a worse seal, which means tighter straps and a sore nose but otherwise it's very comfy.

One thing I've done is wrap my hose; it weights it so it sits down between the mattress and frame, stops it being noisy, and helps prevent rainfall. Also stops anaconda moments :D

You do get used to it, and even with chronic fatigue the difference was noticeable for me, and mines not as severe as yours (20 - 30 AHI)

Caporegime
THREAD REVIVAL

No pillows is recommended for sleep apnea.

Pillows tilt your head and the bigger and thicker they are the more tilted and the bigger the obstruction they cause.

It's best to sleep with no or the thinnest pillow.

Also sleeping with no pillow is better for your posture if you are a back sleeper. For a side sleeper I think a single thin pillow would be ideal.

Soldato
OP
No pillows is recommended for sleep apnea.

Pillows tilt your head and the bigger and thicker they are the more tilted and the bigger the obstruction they cause.

It's best to sleep with no or the thinnest pillow.

Also sleeping with no pillow is better for your posture if you are a back sleeper. For a side sleeper I think a single thin pillow would be ideal.

Unfortunately without a pillow I'd be in pieces the next day, although a flatter posture definitely reduces obstructions for me, my pillow is relatively thin, and I fold it for side sleeping.

Soldato
I did try with no pillows and the machine didn't work at all, I was still having upwards of thirty "incidents" an hour whilst asleep.

Now, I have <0.1 per hour.

I wouldn't mind swapping all the pillows for some kind of very large wedge though, sometimes the pillows move and shift and I wake up with a sore back, I think having it all one piece might fix that.

Caporegime
I had 2hr 12mins with it last night and most of that was awake.

The first few days will be rough. A humidifier is essential for a lot of people too as it completely dries out there sinuses, mouth and eyes without it.

Alternatively you could buy a smart nora.

https://www.smartnora.com/

This activates the muscles which get tired which then drop down and block your pathway. It works extremely well.

Back
Top Bottom