Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Yeah but a thin does require a back end to run it, they generally aint cheep.
Will reserve judgement on the 4s desktop capabilities until i have thrashed one senseless, the benches coming out look good so far but retropie will be the head turner if it can be significantly better than before.

Soldato
I didn't think they were bad actually - Yes, there's throttling when it gets up to temperature but it's only very brief until the temperature drops back. I can't imagine many tasks will drive it to a level where it's going to even hit that point. It took over four minutes at high load to start.

/edit - I'll still be adding cooling to mine though simply because of where it's going to be, ie in a sealed box, 33ft up in the air in direct sunlight!

Could I get your opinion on my scenario then, as I know you’ve got some decent experience with these Pis...

I have my current 3B Pi attached to the back of my tv with velcro strips and it is in a little Pi case - I’ll be using it just to run Plex and some other video apps - nothing too taxing, I imagine...

I’ll be putting the 4B in a case similar to my current one and I am keen on the 4GB version - do you feel it would be necessary to splash on some heat sinks for its use? Or would it be overkill? I can’t imagine my scenario would warrant a fan - and to be honest, if it did I would just stick to the 3B.

Lemme know your thoughts :)

Associate
I had a mate who did a thin client linux build a few years back, was ok but nothing an aged laptop of similar vintage ran at also on the same SW.

As for the pi4 on the back of the telly, i would just get the biggest H/S i could fit to the chip (some thermal glue or whatever) and call it a day, the extra mass and fins will do fine - several of my pis have had this kind of thing bodged out of old heatsinks and they run great even with upped volts and clocks.

Commissario
As for the pi4 on the back of the telly, i would just get the biggest H/S i could fit to the chip (some thermal glue or whatever) and call it a day, the extra mass and fins will do fine - several of my pis have had this kind of thing bodged out of old heatsinks and they run great even with upped volts and clocks.
Agree with this, I think you'll be fine. I have no experience of using a Pi for this sort of thing but I'd hope that some passive cooling would do the trick.

Associate
My 4 arrived today, lighting quick from PiHut. Just need a case now!

Likewise :) This is my first ever Pi!

IMG-20190628-171311.jpg

:D

Soldato
Ran a DD test on 2x USB sticks simultaneously and get 120MB/s which is the same as what i get when i run it on one stick. So unless my testing method is flawed it seems like the Pi would make a good simple NAS.

Associate
Ran a DD test on 2x USB sticks simultaneously and get 120MB/s which is the same as what i get when i run it on one stick. So unless my testing method is flawed it seems like the Pi would make a good simple NAS.
Yeah, it's great that gigabit ethernet and USB 3 have finally been included on the Pi 4.

Soldato
Oh well, I caved and bought a 4Gb model with official power supply, I'll shove it in an open sided acrylic top/bottom protector until more cases become available, I might well go Flirc this time ;)

I know most os/software releases aren't ready for the 4 yet but, you know...... just gotta have :D

Soldato
Got my Pi4, this is a warm little beast! Idles in the low 60s, glad I grabbed a heatsink. Feels pretty responsive from the desktop side of things though, browsing the web is all fine. Just clunky video playback on sites like Youtube which seems to be a known thing - hopefully something that can be addressed.

Commissario
From what I've heard, there's likely to be a firmware update which will reduce the idle temperatures and also resolve the USB problem with certain products such as RTL-SDR dongles.

Back
Top Bottom