Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
In fact 2GB for the Home Internet (1 to download and 1 to upload to the mobile) Also routing using a VPN via a home router/network will limit your speed to your home's upload bandwidth, and that's before you take in to account any slow down intorduced by the VPN overheads.

Don
Meant to ask this when I first saw this post at time it was posted.

I did this awhile ago myself. Perfect for being able to access my home LAN when on the move without me needing to forward ports. One thing I'm not so clear on is how the traffic is tunneled when I'm connected to it. I find public wifi speeds woeful and I thought I'd be able to use my home internet when connected via PiVPn, that correct? Just I'm finding I can't even stream Youtube any higher than 240p without massive buffering which makes me think I'm still getting throttled by the public wifi I'm connected to. If I do a whatismyip check my public IP address is my router public IP address though so maybe the wifi I'm connected to just can't cope.

I could just stick to mobile data but I'm not sure how much of my data allowance would get used when I'm tunneling to my home LAN. Say I downloaded a 1GB file, would it use my home internet or my mobile data?

Basically it's like digging a pipe to your house from wherever you are, the data will need to go down this pipe (your mobile data or whichever WIFI you're connected to) and then will go out from your home router. You'll be limited by the connection speed of whatever connection you are using.

Your router at home will have to download and upload the data.

No one can see what's going on inside the pipe, besides your home router.

Make sense?

maj

maj

Soldato

In fact 2GB for the Home Internet (1 to download and 1 to upload to the mobile) Also routing using a VPN via a home router/network will limit your speed to your home's upload bandwidth, and that's before you take in to account any slow down intorduced by the VPN overheads.

Basically it's like digging a pipe to your house from wherever you are, the data will need to go down this pipe (your mobile data or whichever WIFI you're connected to) and then will go out from your home router. You'll be limited by the connection speed of whatever connection you are using.

Your router at home will have to download and upload the data.

No one can see what's going on inside the pipe, besides your home router.

Make sense?

Yeah thanks :) I mostly just use it to putty into my servers I have doing various jobs. Just wanted to check how the streaming side of things would work.

Commissario
I see the Foundation have made available a firmware update that helps address the heat issues with the Pi4. This is for testing rather than a stable release.
Already tried it and it does as advertised regarding reducing the power drawn and I get a few degrees drop in temperature but it hasn't really helped the USB timing problem (this was one of the things they'd said it should help fix). I've gone back to the original firmware.

Soldato
Applied the Pi4 firmware fix that is supposed to help temperatures last night. Initially didn't notice any differences but after a while I noticed it was idling at around 55 rather than 60 when completely passive with a ~5x10x10mm copper heatsink on it, so a good improvement. Found an old 50mm slim fan in a drawer and re soldered the cables to plug it into the GPIO ports running at 5v and say that on top of the Pi, temperatures dropped to idling at around 35. Sadly the fan is pretty knackered and louder than my main pc :p

Using it as a desktop via a KVM on my 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor is much better than expected, everything works smoothly than expected. Local/Lan video playback of files is a little clunky in a window, but fine in full screen - opposite behaviour to anything web based via a browser. I hope software improvements come out to make website video playback work, I'm not fussed if it can't do 4k streaming - but I would atleast like solid 1080p Youtube!

Soldato
Having upgraded my internet at home, i'm now assessing my options to improve my home network. I have plex running off an old intel core 2 duo PC, which sounds like a plane taking off - not ideal! I also want some way of having an accessible NAS from inside and outside the home, so i can backup and access files from it. Currently I have these on a cheap USB stick and external HDD (an old one!).

What i was hoping for, was to get a Rasberry Pi 4 with 4gb RAM and use this as a NAS / Plex Server / Music streamer and was wondering if all this was possible?

I would have one external HDD for plex (a 4TB or so one)

1 x External HDD for backups (is it possible to have a raid 1 setup to mirror that backup? or if i could mirror that backup to a cloud based service like google drive somewhere?)

and then music, we have lots of it, i'd like to be able to stream this to a bluetooth speaker if possible.

Plex would be used by all the family as well as the music.

I'd like to be able to VNC in, or something along those lines, so i wouldn't need a separate monitor etc. I just want to be able to put the Pi and hard drives in a cupboard, and forget about them but i'd like to be able to download on the Pi, or use the old computer and be able to transfer the files across to the plex external HDD.

I have read a little, and dabbled in linux but am pretty much a newbie. I prefer using GUI, which i believe is possible with rasbian?

I hope all of that makes sense and is possible. Any tips or tricks, greatly appreciated. It certainly looks to be a cheaper option than a Synology, plus then buying the drives.

Soldato
I think you would grow pretty tired and frustrated with the performance trying to do all of that, you would be be best off with a HP MicroServer or someting with a bit more power to accomplish your goals.

A Pi would be great to run as a music streamer (plenty of add ons etc avaliable) but as the server for all of that I really wouldn't recommend.

Soldato
Thanks mate. I did wonder. Space is at a bit of a premium so thought i'd get away with a Pi. Maybe the HP option is something to look into as well.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom