Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
The mavic is bigger, louder but has more range and due to the size of the props is a bit more steady when it comes to hovering. I really wish these drones had some sort of parachute system as standard (they're available separately but at a stupid price and imo they don't make the drone fall slow enough to mitigate damage\injury), the mavic is a fair bit heavier than the parrot so i dread to think what damage it could do if it dropped out of the air and somehow hit someone or something on the way down.

I couldn't imagine the damage it could cause either, but its yet to happen and shouldn't be be the reason for restrictions/regulations now. Statistically even the impossible will eventually happen. If you can be struck by a falling meteor then it goes without question a falling drone could also happen.

Caporegime
I couldn't imagine the damage it could cause either, but its yet to happen and shouldn't be be the reason for restrictions/regulations now. Statistically even the impossible will eventually happen. If you can be struck by a falling meteor then it goes without question a falling drone could also happen.

I have seen posts on drone forums about quads dropping out of the air for no apparent reason, could be hit by a bird from underneath i suppose. But if a motor or rotor fails which is reasonably possible i don't think they're any good at staying in the air if that happens, only seems to take a single prop or motor to fail and they're plummeting downwards. At the very least a parachute system is a bit of peace of mind that if it does fail its not going to potentially be a brick on the head for someone. The price of them is a bit over the top though, talking £250+ for the parazero model which imo doesn't really slow the drones descent to the extent you would expect. There's others which are much more expensive, virtually half the price of a mavic 2 in dollar terms at least.

https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/...ystem-p-256.html?zenid=GlUJYYFSrLXeKAKd9db7t3

That's the "fruity chutes" model ($622), imo that's another one that doesn't seem to slow the landing to the extent you'd expect.

There are others in the works but still not available to sell yet. So far parazero is the "cheapest", so its a toss up between making your drone look like a flying wang with one model or a flying lunch box with the other :p

Caporegime
lol, so their test is breaking up a phantom drone into pieces, and loading the parts into an air cannon and firing it at a part of a plane wing. Would the drone not be more likely to bounce off if it was in 1 piece as opposed to them effectively firing a shrapnel bomb at the wing?

Soldato
I'm looking at expanding my architectural photography business to include drone photos and vids. I've got some limited knowledge of drones, but I'd greatly appreciate the input of those of you who own them and maybe use them professionally as well. I have a budget of 2k, however.....if I can get one for less, that would be great because I could use the money saved for promotion / advertising.

What kind of drone should I get? I see that some have built-in cameras, whereas others can be fitted with a go-pro (for example). Is one generally preferred over the other? Also, I'm a little concerned about potential loss and / or damage. Is drone insurance a thing?

Any info, reviews and knowledge gained from personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Caporegime
Yes, you'll need insurance, average users get personal liability insurance but as a business you might need more, along with having the thing registered with an appropriate body I'd have thought.

As for the drone, depends what you're doing, if it's just a little static image or fly by over a property a DJI Mavic or top end Phantom would do for now, otherwise you go down the route of day an octocopter with a proper SLR mounted onto it.

Don
You will need to take and pass one of the RPQ or BNUC-s qualifications. You will also need to maintain a flight operations manual and a flight log in order to get permission for aerial work from the CAA.
Liabilities insurance will be a requirement too.
Your £2k will just about cover the qualifications and prep.

Don't even THINK about doing it commercially without PFAW. It's a criminal offense and can land you in very serious trouble indeed.

Soldato
Thanks for the information. Turns out this is going to be a bit more complicated than I'd envisaged. The insurance side of things seems easy enough, but how do I go about registering the drone? Also, with regard to permission for aerial work, is that still necessary if the drone is to be operated under a max height of 50m? Lastly, who should I pursue to obtain a PfCO? Cheers.

Soldato
Yes it's necessary for flights at any altitude. We used FlyBy most recently, as said I think their course is about £1500. CAA application is another couple of hundred and then a renewal of £100 or so per year from memory. Commercial drone insurance has gone up recently as well, our renewal was £850pa and now we pay £52pm.

You're also in a highly competitive market; it's certainly not all about the kit but you do have to keep up and our setup atm is about £10k.

Soldato
Righty, I've found a company through which I can obtain a PfCO and the insurance costs aren't as bad as I'd thought either. CAA seems fairly straightforward as well. Possibly a daft question, but in which order should I do this?

Associate
It's on dailymotion here in case anyone wants to watch:

This was always going to annoy me from the beginning, but what on earth were they thinking about when breaking that drone up and then packing it into the sabo? Then filled it with foam to "hold it together".
This is the same thing random American youtubers do to birdshot shotgun shells to make them in to much more lethal slug ammunition. They show the damage the birdshot does (not a lot) then open the end of the cartridge and fill it with foam or wax to hold the shot together, then fire it. Does massive amounts more damage.

Then the "they are fast an nimble" showing a fpv racing quad. Then they are "long range autonomous and payload carrying" showing a large slow moving octoquad or the latest in AI collision detection on a slow moving drone in a controlled space.

Associate
Do people still make and fly their own mini quads (180mm/250mm)?

I lost interest a few years back and have a bunch of bits and pieces including fatsharks etc. Was going to photograph and put it up on the forum market as a job lot but are these things still in demand?

Soldato
Righty, I've found a company through which I can obtain a PfCO and the insurance costs aren't as bad as I'd thought either. CAA seems fairly straightforward as well. Possibly a daft question, but in which order should I do this?

You need the qualification before you can apply to the CAA to obtain a PfCO. As for insurance, that's partly up to you as to whether you get it pre-PfCO or once you've received it, but some course providers also require you to hold insurance during the flight exam (and of course you may want insurance just generally anyway for test flights).

I don't seem to recall the CAA needing to see evidence of commercial insurance for the PfCO application but I may be wrong on that.

Soldato

I lost interest a few years back and have a bunch of bits and pieces including fatsharks etc. Was going to photograph and put it up on the forum market as a job lot but are these things still in demand?

They do although the current trend is 85-110mm 2-3" quads and sub 250g so they don't require registration.

Soldato

Yes, still a demand. I still fly my ~220mm quad every week and love it. Give it a go, you wont be disappointed :)

They do although the current trend is 85-110mm 2-3" quads and sub 250g so they don't require registration.

It's all a load of rubbish.

@Creedmoor Have a read here: https://www.heliguy.com/blog/2019/05/03/drone-registration-scheme-is-16-50-too-much/

I haven't registered. Will I? Not sure - depends how it goes in the next few months. Nearly 3mil a year to run a database... Hahaha

Soldato
You need the qualification before you can apply to the CAA to obtain a PfCO. As for insurance, that's partly up to you as to whether you get it pre-PfCO or once you've received it, but some course providers also require you to hold insurance during the flight exam (and of course you may want insurance just generally anyway for test flights).

I don't seem to recall the CAA needing to see evidence of commercial insurance for the PfCO application but I may be wrong on that.

Cheers, that's great:) I've just got to determine what kind of drone to get now.

Caporegime
Drone maker DJI is so incensed about the recent BBC Horizon programme ‘Britain’s Next Air Disaster? Drones’ that it’s taken the rare step of publishing an open letter that claims the show is “disturbing” and “could itself cost lives”.

The Horizon special, which aired on 1 July 2019 and is still available to watch on iPlayer, saw adventurer Aldo Kane investigate the “threat drones pose to UK skies”. But it’s fair to say DJI wasn’t impressed, with its letter claiming that the show, and Panorama‘s ‘The Gatwick Drone Attack’ show on 15 April 2019, “fall very short of informing and educating viewers in an impartial and accurate manner”.

You’d naturally expect the world’s biggest drone maker, which makes class-leading flying cameras like the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, to defend quadcopters from an increasingly negative media storm, which started following an incident at Gatwick in December 2018. But its letter certainly contains some fair points, particularly when it comes to the show’s Impact Assessment testing and reference to Airprox Board reports.

Both Panorama and Horizon apparently spoke to DJI’s Head of Policy for Europe, but “almost none of the material was included in either programme”. In a stinging attack, DJI said: “We have to assume this is because the BBC ultimately preferred to boost viewing figures by focusing on sensational, high-risk scenarios that are vanishingly rare or almost impossible, while ignoring evidence that drone technology is safe and that the drone industry itself has implemented various features to mitigate the risks described.”

In particular, DJI took issue with the programme’s Impact Assessment testing, which attempted to show the aviation risk of a drone collision. The Chinese company said that the drone used in the BBC show was “disturbing” and that its “Frankendrone”, created from a battery and carbon-fibre rods, was so artificial that “the test becomes immediately scientifically invalid”.

DJI’s Director of Marketing and Corporate Communication Dr. Barbara Stelzner didn’t stop there, saying: “The documentary almost exclusively focused on threats and risks posed by drones, and the general tone of the documentary was overwhelmingly negative, with the presenter frequently using the words ‘catastrophic’ and ‘terrifying’.”

While DJI admits that it wasn’t explicitly named in the documentary, it did say that it showed DJI-branded drones in a negative light and went even further, saying that the reports “harm the process of improving safety, because they focus attention on outrageous events that didn’t happen.” In one final bombshell, referring to the cooling effect on positive drone uses, it added “quite literally the BBC’s sensational false reporting on drone risks could itself cost lives.”

That is an unusually strong-worded statement from a consumer tech company and reflects how much recent media attention has impacted consumer drones. There have been no new drones of note, from DJI or other manufacturers, announced in 2019. And it’s possible this will continue into 2020, with a DJI statement in May 2019 saying that “all new DJI drone models released after January 1, 2020 that weigh more than 250 grams will include AirSense technology”.

AirSense, which has been available on many pro level DJI drones for some time, is an alert system that can detect aeroplanes and helicopters from miles away and alert drone pilots.

DJI’s existing consumer drones, like the Mavic 2 Pro, aren’t exactly out of date and remain excellent flying cameras (as long as you’re aware of the latest UK drone laws). But it seems likely that, short of a new sub-250g DJI Spark 2, we might have to wait until next year for a new DJI drone while it defends flying cameras from media attacks.

Back
Top Bottom