• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Help me. I am getting excited by these early numbers turning up online. If you had an 8700k OC'd at 5ghz, would you upgrade to AMD, or would you wait and see what happens now the 2 main loggerheads are at large?

I literally only use this PC for gaming, 1080p @240hz
No. Not with that CPU at that speed. Not worth it imo. That will easy do you through into next year at the very least.

Soldato
Help me. I am getting excited by these early numbers turning up online. If you had an 8700k OC'd at 5ghz, would you upgrade to AMD, or would you wait and see what happens now the 2 main loggerheads are at large?

Better off waiting a bit, once full reviews are out you'll know. Although if you're at 5Ghz all core, and need 240hz, might be better staying on what you have for another year at least.

Soldato
Spot on!

7600K smacked around the 1600 in gaming when it launched. Faster clocked, and better IPC.
Two years later it's significantly better; despite Ryzen 1 still having lesser clocks, and IPC.

You can see the same engines from back then, being used today still show Ryzen doing poorly. Namely the FaR Cry games. Just does not work well on Ryzen.

Well it is 6 cores vs 4 cores. Back then games weren't optimised for 6 cores. Some people are saying that there's no point in a 12 or 16 core Ryzen but I gaurentee they'll crush the 8 core CPUs in 5 years time.

Associate
No. Not with that CPU at that speed. Not worth it imo. That will easy do you through into next year at the very least.

Better off waiting a bit, once full reviews are out you'll know. Although if you're at 5Ghz all core, and need 240hz, might be better staying on what you have for another year at least.

I echo both your thoughts. It's the numbers coming out online that are giving me the unnecessary itch. Thanks for your input. I will attempt to be sensible!

Soldato

Yes in year or so when the 8700k starts to struggle with games, I would upgrade it to AMD immediately.

Soldato
I echo both your thoughts. It's the numbers coming out online that are giving me the unnecessary itch. Thanks for your input. I will attempt to be sensible!

I know the itch well. Unless you also need extra cores for other things; you're pretty set where you are now.

Even if say the 3800X was able to clock to 5Ghz, and has better IPC; you're looking a small upgrade for a big cost of CPU, and RAM.

Caporegime
I know the itch well. Unless you also need extra cores for other things; you're pretty set where you are now.

Even if say the 3800X was able to clock to 5Ghz, and has better IPC; you're looking a small upgrade for a big cost of CPU, and RAM.

And mobo. Particularly if he’s going X570. Cost far outweighs the benefits in his case. But that’s just my opinion.

Soldato
You are the one saying that 720p tests on current games gives you a better indication of which cpu will be faster in 5 years?

I meant like for like. Comparing a 2600 vs 3600 or a 2700 vs 3700. Or even 6 core AMD vs 6 core Intel.

For example, I dont know whether to buy a cheap 2600 or a 3600 so I dont want a GPU bottleneck to interference with the benchmarks. Obviously the 2600 isn't going to suddenly take over in two years.

Obviously cores are the future. If I saw a 6 core beat an 8 core in TODAYS games, then the 8 core will probably take over in the future.

Soldato
I meant like for like. Comparing a 2600 vs 3600 or a 2700 vs 3700. Or even 6 core AMD vs 6 core Intel.

Obviously cores are the future. If I saw a 6 core beat an 8 core in TODAYS games, then the 8 core will probably take over in the future.

That doesn't make sense. Half the point in Zen2 is cores, same as for when Zen 1 so why would testing against Intel for the future making any sense?

Associate
Let's be serious for a moment. Moving from a 8700k @5.2 Ghz to any Ryzen CPU, is very unlikely to be an upgrade (for his 1080p 240Hz needs), regardless of costs.

Totally agree. Sure, "it'll make a difference in a few years" but it would be a waste of money right now - just buy a new CPU when you actually need to. You're not going to see any gaming gains going from a high-OC'd 8700K to any new Ryzen.

Associate
Meanwhile after 873 pages of speculations, we've only got another day to go...

What's shocking, as far as I'm concerned, is that we barely got any substantial leak, considering how many people must be playing with the new CPUs as we speak.

Permabanned
SuperPi is a single-thread app that, if correctly remember, uses x87 instructions. Extremely unsuitable benchmark for modern processors.
So You say its useless as one of tools to compare progress of 2700x vs 3900x ??? Interesting

@CuriousTomCat ye in 5 years... If someone is buying platform for 5 years Sure. In my case needs to last till Zen4 and ddr5 so tahts around 2 years. I think 12 cores should last me till then.

Back
Top Bottom