• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Well Super Pi can simulate crappy 1 core engine of World of Warcraft . It's as old as WoW
Shame that Cyberlik Power director that ui use almost weekly to render for 30 hours over weekend has no benchmark option so I need 2 Benchmark that myself. Rendering time vs Rendering time.

Finally found case i like ;)
pcmr.jpg
lian li pc-011?

Soldato
Well Super Pi can simulate crappy 1 core engine of World of Warcraft . It's as old as WoW
Shame that Cyberlik Power director that ui use almost weekly to render for 30 hours over weekend has no benchmark option so I need 2 Benchmark that myself. Rendering time vs Rendering time.

WoW had an engine update to make better use of multiple cores a while ago. Not that SuperPi was a good indicator of performance in WoW anyway.... :confused:

Associate
jns90zhx3o731.png

Just as a slight warning, I just checked the CPU support list for the asrock b450 Pro 4, and it's got the 3800x but, notably, not the 3900x. Might be an oversight, but might also be that not all the CPUs actually work on all the boards even if they have VRMs that should be able to cope.

Also from the few 400 series boards I've checked, none list the cheap A series APUs as supported, so anyone thinking of grabbing one of those for a cheeky bios update might want to hold fire & let someone else be the guinea pig.

Associate
On a more positive note, a browse of the MSI forums shows that x470 boards are now leaving their factory with Zen 2 compatible bios, but they don't seem to have filtered through to retail yet - so waiting a few weeks might also work.

Associate
720p is just to test the cpu without the gpu bottleneck at higher gpu loads and is a completely valid way to test a cpu. AMD could be slower because of frequency but ryzen 3000 could overclock well hopefully. The thing is that the clock speed is lower but performance is still good in games. If they overclock its lol for intel.

Associate
Just as a slight warning, I just checked the CPU support list for the asrock b450 Pro 4, and it's got the 3800x but, notably, not the 3900x. Might be an oversight, but might also be that not all the CPUs actually work on all the boards even if they have VRMs that should be able to cope.

Also from the few 400 series boards I've checked, none list the cheap A series APUs as supported, so anyone thinking of grabbing one of those for a cheeky bios update might want to hold fire & let someone else be the guinea pig.

Thanks for that post.

Associate
In my mind (assuming it works, and works well enough), something like a B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC or the cheaper B450 Tomahawk paired with a 3600/3600x should be a solid little combo, we don't need PCIe 4.0 yet. And I can't imagine the performance difference between a decent B450 board and a decent X570 board will justify the extra £££ for the motherboard which could be spent elsewhere. If you can save £100 on a motherboard that can go towards a better GPU.

TrM

TrM

Associate
The CPU support list shows my x370 Taichi will suport the 3950x WooHoo!

i would be very suprised if the top x370 and x470 did not suport the 3950x
i get that the vrm was not allways the best be we are all just guessing how much more the 3900x and 3950x will stress them. My own personal view i think the vrm on x570 is over kill and the better x370/x470 and b450 will be perfect platforms for amd best cpu:)

if amd was majorly concerned on x370/x470 not being able to handle the extra cores on the new cpu they would have made a whole new socket am4+ or something and compltly locked off the older motherboards for ryzen 9 and make the 3900/3950 as requiring x570

Associate
Hello there, long time lurker here, but now I had to register, just to ask you all this:

why are you guys still arguing about total nonsense with this Zeed guy? Just let him play super mario pi @ 720p and problem solved

Associate
Hi, hopefully someone can help me find something out.

I've been trying to find a 300/400 series motherboard with a memory controller that can handle DDR4 3600 Mhz RAM or higher, ideally for £100 or less.

If so, what is the name / model number please?

Otherwise, I think I will stick with 3400Mhz RAM.

I've been thinking x570 would be a good option if getting 4000Mhz or higher RAM, as older AM4 motherboards can't support it.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, hopefully someone can help me find something out.

I've been trying to find a 300/400 series motherboard with a memory controller that can handle DDR4 3600 Mhz or higher, ideally for £100 or less.

If so, what is the name / model number please?

Otherwise, I think I will stick with 3400Mhz RAM.

I've been thinking x570 would be a good option if getting 4000Mhz or higher RAM, as older AM4 motherboards can't support it.
The memory controller is on the CPU.

Associate
Hello there, long time lurker here, but now I had to register, just to ask you all this:

why are you guys still arguing about total nonsense with this Zeed guy? Just let him play super mario pi @ 720p and problem solved

This sub forum attracts CPU fanatics and we’re on the cusp of a highly anticipated product release. There is no meaningful reason, it’s just people passing the time until reviews hit. At which point it’ll most likely be completely forgotten about.

Back
Top Bottom