• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Not got one at hand, will need to buy one, any to reccomend? I did get 2 flash drives for stuff like this, but never knew about the size till about 2 hours ago...
I've used a number of sticks with that board but usually use 8Gb sticks (have used 16Gb), freshly fat 32 formatted with only the BIOS installed.

Soldato
Not got one at hand, will need to buy one, any to reccomend? I did get 2 flash drives for stuff like this, but never knew about the size till about 2 hours ago...

If you can't get it working inside the BIOS, just make a DOS bootable USB drive and do it the old fashioned way. :)

Use RUFUS to make the USB drive, then read the pdf in this link.
https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/How_to_flash_the_BIOS.pdf

Last edited:
Associate
Nobody likes gloaters but ordered a 3900x yesterday got a shipped notification this morning. Dpd should be passing by tomorrow :)
Must say first time i've bought a cpu on launch, but i heard it's an improvement on the original zen launch, so well done Amd! :p

Is haribo in packages real or just fake news?

TrM

TrM

Associate
I've used a number of sticks with that board but usually use 8Gb sticks (have used 16Gb), freshly fat 32 formatted with only the BIOS installed.

I

I know this might seem strange but which USB port are you using front ones or back usb 3 or usb 2 on my X470 msi carbon gaming the only way I could get it to read my 8 or 16gb fat 32 pen was to put it in the USB ports by the network cable plug the others wouldn’t either show or allow me to access in bios

Soldato
I've decided that the thermals on this 3900X makes no sense whatsoever. :p

It idles high, like 30-50*c, usually hovering in the low 40's.
If i manually set the voltage down from what appears to be a fairly consistent (but still changing) 1.4-1.5v, down to 1.2v, it idles 3-5*c lower, and Primes up-to 83*c after a few seconds.
If i leave it as is, and let it do what it wants, it idles as above, but primes around 65-69, with the occasional micro-spike to 77*c.

So use less voltage, create more heat!?

TrM

TrM

Associate
I've decided that the thermals on this 3900X makes no sense whatsoever. :p

It idles high, like 30-50*c, usually hovering in the low 40's.
If i manually set the voltage down from what appears to be a fairly consistent (but still changing) 1.4-1.5v, down to 1.2v, it idles 3-5*c lower, and Primes up-to 83*c after a few seconds.
If i leave it as is, and let it do what it wants, it idles as above, but primes around 65-69, with the occasional micro-spike to 77*c.

So use less voltage, create more heat!?

The 2700x is the same you may manually lower the voltage but presion boost 2 will overwrite it and when even at idle the cpu will still sltwitch to boost on 1 to 2 cores very quickly and jam it with 1.5v. Amd idle temps are always over the place well my 2700x and msi X470 carbon gaming pro system is on full custom loop

Associate
Tried everything so far, still no luck.
I had a quick look on MSI's site for updates to my BIOS, but can't find the correct ones. Do i update 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, etc? Or is there 1 big one that can update 1.2 to the latest?
Thanks again.

Soldato
No order dispatch for me, ****** off I have wasted a day off work now. :(

It may be the board that's held it up then, I ordered the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra which is also now Pre order but showed 10+ when I ordered at 14:02 yesterday.

Cheers :)

I'm guessing your mobo must be holding you back :(

I ordered the Aorus Pro and 3900x this morning and it's being delivered tomorrow.

Soldato
The 2700x is the same you may manually lower the voltage but presion boost 2 will overwrite it and when even at idle the cpu will still sltwitch to boost on 1 to 2 cores very quickly and jam it with 1.5v. Amd idle temps are always over the place well my 2700x and msi X470 carbon gaming pro system is on full custom loop
No idea, but an idle that high, seems high to me after coming from a 2700.
I can't decide if its the reported bad BIOS/Asus mess up with power, bad thermal paste/seating or is normal.
Once I've had some tea in a bit i'm gonna see if i can collate some data from different reviews to see what the averages are temp wise thus far.

Soldato
Everything was showing 10+ for me when I ordered at 14:04 but now 4 items are all Pre Order. The memory is not expected until 19th July....hoping at least that got allocated!

If I have to wait it's annoying but not the end of the world. Hopefully plenty of BIOS and other updates before I build it :D

Associate
No idea, but an idle that high, seems high to me after coming from a 2700.
I can't decide if its the reported bad BIOS/Asus mess up with power, bad thermal paste/seating or is normal.
Once I've had some tea in a bit i'm gonna see if i can collate some data from different reviews to see what the averages are temp wise thus far.
Have you updated the chipset drivers and have they set the power plan to Ryzen Balanced with its 90% minimum processor state.

Soldato
Have you updated the chipset drivers and have they set the power plan to Ryzen Balanced with its 90% minimum processor state.
Updated yes, along with BIOS and all other drives, pre-3900X upgrade.

re: power plan, tried it on both the generally recommended windows balanced, and with ryzen balanced too. Not really a lot of difference tbh.

Soldato
Tried everything so far, still no luck.
I had a quick look on MSI's site for updates to my BIOS, but can't find the correct ones. Do i update 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, etc? Or is there 1 big one that can update 1.2 to the latest?
Thanks again.

That 7C02v18 BIOS you linked to in your initial post looks the correct one, from what I’ve experienced you don’t need to do incremental updates on BIOSes, you can just go to the latest <stable> one regardless of the starting version.

The only suggestion I would have offered was to format the disk as NTFS but that’s already been mentioned.

I’m still waiting on a non-beta BIOS for my MSI board, otherwise I would have attempted the process myself and reported back.

I’ve had the shipping confirmation on my 3600, got my AM4 bracket for the cooler and NVME drive ready to go so just waiting on an official BIOS.

I’ll keep an eye out for any other suggestions.

Soldato
I have to say Asus have been exceptional with bios support for my board and every other board I've monitored. It's two years old now and still getting up-to-date bios from the manufacturer!!

I will defo buy Asus again for my next board.

Back
Top Bottom