Creative Super X-Fi

Soldato
it makes up for with Waves NX real time head tracking that anchors the virtual speakers while tracking even miniscule movements of the head as you breathe, slightly shift posture etc.

Re “headphone compensation”, I wasn't just talking about just frequency curve or signature, I was talking about imaging, separation and sound stage and most of the online reviews thus far have suggested that matching cans with their certified profiles makes a difference.
Head tracking is certainly needed for VR, but you get that anyway with them.

For non-VR gaming don't see much/any real benefit from "un"syncing sound from image location:
Because the reason you want to locate sounds is to be able get that first shot at enemy fast.
Meaning it's best to keep eyes (and head) locked to that image you're watching.
I mean just try doing any accuracy and speed needing work with mouse, while keeping turning head around...

Breathing etc related head position changes are insignificant for any sound sources but those next to head.
So that hints to Waves NX "mapping" sound source channels to close distance.
Which wouldn't be exactly great for gaming immersion.
Their advertising was certainly strongly music focused last time I checked.

Stereo signal really doesn't even have that much of spatial information to start with...
So really curious how Creative pushes this customizable HRTF algorithm for music use.
(Because only "audiophiles" will pay 100+ for simple USB dongle?)
And certainly agree that without anykind PC based control software Super X-Fi amp is very half baked product for any gaming use.

All that imaging/separation/sound stage talk for headphone is really complete misnomer.
Headphones can never create any spatial cues needed for slightest outside head sound positioning.
They can only reproduce signal and any cues in it.
And signal and its cues being distorted by inaccurate reproduction is what affects spatial immersion.
What those profiles do is to try to counter that distortion by modifying signal.
But why would you buy inaccurate sound distorting headphones in the first place, unlesss they're cheaper than more accurate headphones?
(other than needing closed design because of noisy environment)

In my experience of both, G6 - hands down. Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200 is also highly rated but I have never tried it.
Sennheiser has definitely good HRTF algorithm, but rest is basically gaming product scam.
For audio side it uses Conexant CX20745 chip, which is meant for cheap phones/tablets.
As DAC it's low end and below budget level Audigy Fx/Xonar DGX sound cards.
And neither it has any more of real amplifier.
Using same pricing per quality logic G6 should have £500 price sticker.

Associate
thanks for the advice, i have the g6 on its way

next question
i have the crosshair VI hero, it has supremeFX chip and if im not mistaken that has true 7.1?
can someone just confirm this please, i intend to run the front 3.5mm stereo to mono cable then into some decent active speakers, same with the rear, if i need it ill go sub but im hoping not to use one, my aim is for quadraphonic sound but i may end up with 5.1, this is mainly due to design space of the current room 4 will just be much easier, my mic is going thru a focusrite 2i2, headphones G6, so speakers are next
i have been hunting for a true 7.1 external dac with little luck and i have no pci slots left for internal

V F

V F

Soldato
To those seeking impressions, my SXFI arrived Friday and I would say, save your money. The tech has potential but in its current form it compromises sound quality far too much and far more so than the major competing solutions I have tried and I have tried most of them. Either wait for Creative to add further features and tuning or wait on future more refined implementations in better hardware. This is not for those whose idea of immersion is based on overall sound quality in addition to the surround effect, nor is it for those seeking competitive advantage in MP shooters and the like. The algorithm in its current state, while a considerable achievement in and as of itself and hopefully a portent of better things to come, is not sufficiently accurate for sound-whoring (although rare, still too many errors in depth of object placement for anything competitive beyond casual MP) and the way it muddies separation in (sonically-)congested in-game environments could complicate fine imaging and impact upon your ability to distinguish and identify important cues in busy scenarios.
Only buy if you have money to burn and want a new gadget or if your idea of ‘immersion’ is based solely on directional cues and a projection of out-of-your-head ‘depth’ with no regard to poor sound quality.

So it was true then, marketing fluff as usual?

Soldato
I quite like it but have requested to return it. Ordered it on a whim, but I don't really listen to music on my phone and it is really focused on Android. It can't compete with my home setup so seems a bit redundant.

I might try again if they make it a bit more gaming focused and bring out a desktop version with a better amp.

Soldato
Maybe somewhat overpriced for what it is, just as Sennheiser's GSX is also overpriced. Good algorithms, but the products are too costly for the hardware you are paying for.

Does make me wonder what a sound card with Super X-Fi is going to cost..

Associate
has anyone used these for movies. I dont understand why people state the sxfi is only useful for stereo movie sources as its advertised as being useful for movies and gaming

i am looking for something to use so i can listen to a movie soundtrack or a single player game on my pc

Soldato
There's Super X-Fi based USB sound card in development under name "Project Accent" and supposedly coming in Q3.
Just for some total facepalm level reason they don't mention anything about gaming.
Even though it benefits lot more from HRTF than proper directionality missing stereo music.
https://us.creative.com/upgrade/

With outline of device having lots of GSX's look, lets just hope they didn't copy its low end hardware...

Associate
There's Super X-Fi based USB sound card in development under name "Project Accent" and supposedly coming in Q3.
Just for some total facepalm level reason they don't mention anything about gaming.
Even though it benefits lot more from HRTF than proper directionality missing stereo music.
https://us.creative.com/upgrade/

With outline of device having lots of GSX's look, lets just hope they didn't copy its low end hardware...

Interesting find, I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on how this develops. :)

Wulf

Soldato

For gaming with headphones; if they released something like this with Super X-Fi specifically aimed at gaming, then that would make the fancy shiny upcoming AE-7 and AE-9 rather redundant. I'm guessing Creative don't want to do that. ;)

V F

V F

Soldato
For gaming with headphones; if they released something like this with Super X-Fi specifically aimed at gaming, then that would make the fancy shiny upcoming AE-7 and AE-9 rather redundant. I'm guessing Creative don't want to do that. ;)

That now makes the AE-5 redundant? From what I've read of the AE-9 it doesn't sound like it's lived up to what it was supposed to be.

Soldato
For gamer AE-9 is already redundant.
That high end mic input with phantom power isn't exactly needed by gamers.

And with dumb serial resistor based volume control hard to see why AE-7 would be worth its price over AE-5.

Associate
For gamer AE-9 is already redundant.
That high end mic input with phantom power isn't exactly needed by gamers.

And with dumb serial resistor based volume control hard to see why AE-7 would be worth its price over AE-5.

The only thing going for them is dolby digital live is making a come back, otherwise not that impressed either. I would also argue that the G6 is a superior solution to both the AE-7/9...

Back
Top Bottom