Creative Super X-Fi

V F

V F

Soldato
Sound Blaster AE-9 with break out box. Supposedly releasing in 3 weeks for $299.

Start: 5:00
Super X-Fi: 7:57
World premiere of the Sound Blaster AE-9: 52:18
New rig and old school PC talk: 1:04:13

V F

V F

Soldato
For that price it should come with Super X-Fi tech...

I really regret getting the AE-5 now. As it really wasn't an upgrade from the Prelude. I'm going to hold off for the reviews then see what comes to CES.

Soldato
I am interested but will wait until they have implemented proper positional gaming support.

Read that they are still working with devs to get the most out of this still.

Soldato
I am interested but will wait until they have implemented proper positional gaming support.

Read that they are still working with devs to get the most out of this still.
Best would be to implement HRTF directly in game's sound engine/renderer.
And that's theo nly way, which would require support from game devs.

If it's done in sound card/its software there's simply no need for any support from games, which need only to output surround/7.1 sound like normally.
Which has been the sorry state of game sounds ever since Microsoft killed DirectSound:
It's already "lossy" format with no height data.

Again when built directly into sound renderer it gets access to original true 3D sound data.
Meaning full 3D locations of every sound source in some kind (hopefully decent) acoustical model of game environment.
That's the data sound cards got access to in DirectSound time.

Associate
While better than by just using average, some circumference isn't enough for accurate HRTF.
There can be major variation in shape of similarly sized head, especially in face.
Also earlobes differ.

Only ways for really fully accurate HRTF are:
3D scanning whole head shape.
Or putting small mics into ears to record how sound from sources at different directions changes.
In those demonstrations during winter and spring Creative did that recording for improving image analyzing algorithm.

Need for any headphone compensation depends on accuracy of headphones.
Neutral and analytical headphones likely won't benefit from it really any.
Unlike some "warm" sound headphones, which really are just inaccurate in their reproduction of signal, muffling part of frequencies needed by binaural cues.

Not just head circumference but also a separate measurement for inter-aural arc which takes into account rear half-head shape to a certain extent. Also, SXFI doesn't scan the “whole” head shape either, just the face and the ears, the rest is guesswork based off those scans and data from others scanned in their database. In any case, Mobius may not be anywhere near as accurate as SXFI in terms of personalisation (not disputing that) but what Mobius lacks in personalised 3D head mapping, it makes up for with Waves NX real time head tracking that anchors the virtual speakers while tracking even miniscule movements of the head as you breathe, slightly shift posture etc. Owning and comparing both, I found Mobius's 3D surround virtualisation to be no generally no less convincing overall.

Re “headphone compensation”, I wasn't just talking about just frequency curve or signature, I was talking about imaging, separation and sound stage and most of the online reviews thus far have suggested that matching cans with their certified profiles makes a difference. Creative certainly seem to think some form of profiling is beneficial otherwise they wouldn't be making and uploading those SXFI certified profiles for various headphones to be downloaded and applied to the SXFI chip.

Associate
To those seeking impressions, my SXFI arrived Friday and I would say, save your money. The tech has potential but in its current form it compromises sound quality far too much and far more so than the major competing solutions I have tried and I have tried most of them. Either wait for Creative to add further features and tuning or wait on future more refined implementations in better hardware. This is not for those whose idea of immersion is based on overall sound quality in addition to the surround effect, nor is it for those seeking competitive advantage in MP shooters and the like. The algorithm in its current state, while a considerable achievement in and as of itself and hopefully a portent of better things to come, is not sufficiently accurate for sound-whoring (although rare, still too many errors in depth of object placement for anything competitive beyond casual MP) and the way it muddies separation in (sonically-)congested in-game environments could complicate fine imaging and impact upon your ability to distinguish and identify important cues in busy scenarios.
Only buy if you have money to burn and want a new gadget or if your idea of ‘immersion’ is based solely on directional cues and a projection of out-of-your-head ‘depth’ with no regard to poor sound quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
Regarding the AE-9 and it's external DAC, this makes total sense as there is to much interference / noise inside a PC. To move forward you have to get the DAC outside of the computer environment.

Associate
is it best to get the sxfi or a g6 for use with the akg 702 currently for gaming?

or other suggestions
In my experience of both, G6 - hands down. Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200 is also highly rated but I have never tried it. Unlike the G6, it purports to offer a binauralised 3D sound engine so in theory it would be closer in that sense to the kind of surround effect the SXFI seeks to achieve. The reviews I have seen all gave it good marks for surround, some more so than others. Some said it was the best they had heard and revolutionary while others just said it was just decent virtual surround but nothing particularly new.

Waves NX paired with the AKG 702 is also an option but you might find it more hassle than it's worth.

Last edited:
Soldato
is it best to get the sxfi or a g6 for use with the akg 702 currently for gaming?

or other suggestions

As above; G6. Super X-Fi is not aimed at gamers. While you can use it for gaming, it has not been designed to take 5.1/7.1 audio from a game. It's been designed for music use, which is stereo.

It won't be really effective for gaming until they use this technology on a product that is designed to take 5.1/7.1 from a game, just as SBX prostudio does now. Until then, SBX is more effective for gaming.

Can't see a sound card with this technology happening for some time, because Creative have the brand spanking new AE-9, which still doesn't use Super X-Fi. If this new Super X-Fi technology trumps SBX in performance when it comes to surround sound and positional sound location when playing games, and Creative released a sound card with it that's aimed at gamers; why would anyone buy the AE-9.

Back
Top Bottom