1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Super X-Fi

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by melmac, Oct 5, 2018.

1. melmac

Soldato

Haven't seen a thread for this.

https://www.sxfi.com/tech/

Looks interesting. Mark from AVS Forums gave it a great rating at CES 2018 which is the only reason I am thing of getting one. You get a headset free if you pre-order.

2. Marsman

Capodecina

No thread, but I think it's been discussed in the AE-5 thread. Still, better to have a separate thread as it's a different product.

3. =XDC=FluphyBunny

Mobster

Seems like a serious amount of marketing bs talk.

4. EsaT

Mobster

At least it doesn't go against science, like lots of usual "audiophile" stuff.

5. =XDC=FluphyBunny

Mobster

Lol yes there is that. Some ‘audiophile’ stuff is hilarious.

6. Wulfster

Gangster

So can these be used as gaming headsets? Isn’t this a similar implementation as the Audeze Mobius?

https://sxfi.com/air/

Best

Wulf

7. ToTheMax

Hitman

As far as I can tell is't this just a USB dongle amp at the moment with positional sound like a AE5/G6 etc?

8. Wulfster

Gangster

Yeah, they also do a headset with the x fi chip built in with a retractable boom mic. Seems like a variation on what Audeze have done with the Mobius.

To a certain extent what the super x fi chip does makes the quality of the headphones irrelevant it seems (my understanding of it anyway).

Best

Wulf

9. Marsman

Capodecina

An internal sound card will almost certainly follow later, but I do wonder; wouldn't a new internal Super X-Fi card affect sales of the AE-5? Which is still a pretty new card; only about a year old now. Unless maybe they put it in a higher price category. Creative might just focus on other areas first, such as implementation into other devices.

It shouldn't make the quality of the headphones irrelevant, because they still have to convert the signal into sound. Some headphones do that better than others; and then you have different sound signatures, which will almost certainly impact how well Super X-Fi works. What will happen though; with Creative certifying headphones that work best with Super X-Fi, might mean people's favourite headphones might not get certified and may not be the best choice.

Hopefully though, we will see some, shall we say, 'audiophile' headphones being certified, and not just plastic gaming headsets. Will be interesting to see how AKG K702/712 fares if 'audiophile' headphones go through a certification process. Often cited as among the best gaming headphones. Will be a turn up for the books, if they aren't so good with Super-Xi. :p Time will tell I guess.

10. Wulfster

Gangster

I suppose it depends how well Super X Fi takes off (can’t see it not being huge tbh).

If this becomes the new sound standard then you would assume the various headphone manufacturers would be clamouring over each other to support it. Would be very nice to have some audiophile options though with certification.

Best

Wulf

11. EsaT

Mobster

Mobius uses average head shape based HRTF, so its behind Super X-Fi tech.
    With Super X-Fi having more and more advantage the more listener's head shape differs from average.

12. Wulfster

Gangster

Thank you for the technical clarification between the two.

Best

Wulf

13. brakeinup

Hitman

Will it have mic support when using your own headphones for gaming?

14. Marsman

Capodecina

It's just a DAC, so output only. While you can use it for gaming, it looks to be more aimed at music use. There are no drivers, so no configuration, which many gamers would want. We'll have to wait for more gaming oriented devices, which have software configuration and microphone input.

15. melmac

Soldato

Yes, after reading more reviews it seems that this is no good at gaming and more for music and movies. So I won't be getting one after all.

16. EsaT

Mobster

Actually it doesn't seem to work as proper 5.1/7.1 playback device on phones, unlike in PC.
    But lacks PC software for configuring and customing HRTF.

17. Incognito101

Associate

The Mobius actually has a companion app that allows for input of the user’s head circumference and inter-aural arc measurements in order to tailor the headset’s HRTF and 3D virtualisation to something more personal. I have one.

I don’t have a Super X-Fi dongle (yet) but AFAIK, it uses uploaded photos of the user’s head and ears to the same intent and purpose. Which is more effective, remains to be seen. From early reports, the Super X-Fi app has multiple headphone profiles (Senn HD650 being one of them) and I would imagine that the effect will vary greatly depending on the profile used and whether that profile matches the headphone connected to the dongle. I would wager best results would be from matching profile with headphones. I would contend that the Mobius would at least have an advantage over headphones paired with a generic or mismatched Super X-Fi profile as far as HRTF goes.

My own experience, I found entering my measurements to be a significant improvement, albeit not quite a drastic one.