Build refresh and downsize

Associate
Hello!

I'm looking at refreshing my current build with a switch to Ryzen and an opportunity to get something in a smaller case (i'm currently using a Fractal Define S which is a total beast and not conducive to a tidy desk space!)

This is my current build:

i5 6600K
16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz (2x8GB)
Gigabyte GA-Z170 Sniper
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP Extreme Spectra RGB
Super Flower Gold 550W PSU

I'd also like a nice new SSD/M.2 drive to run the OS and selected games from. I have 4TB worth of mechanical drive storage to deal with the rest so don't need that.

I'm guessing I shouldn't really be upgrading the 1070? Unless there's a card out there that really makes it worthwhile?

Also been interested in dabbling with RGB stuff so fans etc to make it look arbitrarily nice to look at.

Budget wise, 700-800? Depends what I can get and if I need to get a new GPU.

Anyway, I trust in OCUK...

Soldato
What res do you game at - monitor/make/model?

And full on committed ITX or still room to breath ITX - or still ATX with just a smaller midi case?

No, M-ATX X570 - but there is a B450 Mortar MAX which is Zen -2 compatible out of the box and due for imminent release.

Soldato
I would carry the 1070 over but with a view to upgrade with the next round of GPU releases. But if you were thinking of upgrading now the 2070 Super is the best bang for buck (~£500) from Nvidia and would give a significant performance bump (or 5700XT AIB).

As an example - the case is a Metallic Gear Neo-G, add cooler of your choice *see case limitations (stock is supplied with 3700X) - and again if you want blingy memory this can be swapped out (would recommend Crucial Ballistix Sport LT - clocks very well) - the board is excellent:

*Or you could get the Nano S case as you like the style?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £616.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

8ED8fxbl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks for that! i think i'd change it up with the case. i do like the clean look of the fractal but it'd be nice to do something entirely different.

i think that's a good shout re: the 1070. i guess it's still not a bad card is it?

is it worth stretching the extra money for the 3700x? i know a lot of people have been talking up the 3600. i do like to dabble in overclocking but it's not at all a dealbreaker if i can save myself some cash!

Soldato
Missed part of your brief:

Blingy decent memory (clockable) plus quality NVMe - but can be bought cheaper:

Total: £796.96 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

8ED8fxbl.jpg

Soldato
i think that's a good shout re: the 1070. i guess it's still not a bad card is it?
Obviously, you would get more immediate performance gratification with a new card - but as you're after a new form factor then it makes sense to wait if needed. But if budget allows then the 2070 SUPER would be a game changer - or wait for 5700XT AIB.

is it worth stretching the extra money for the 3700x? i know a lot of people have been talking up the 3600. i do like to dabble in overclocking but it's not at all a dealbreaker if i can save myself some cash!
Personally, yes, but the 3600 is the best bang for buck (fantastic CPU for the money) - and you could always upgrade later...

No right or wrong - depends on finances.

Soldato
And a price comparison - 3600, same performance/speed memory and a standard SSD with same real world speeds for your needs:

Total: £618.96 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
cheers for that. just noticed the motherboard is out of stock annoyingly!

yeah, i think i'm looking for a balance of "worth it" and "not spending a tonne getting it", which is always annoying.

i think the compromise is the 3600 with blingy ram and a nice mobo and then other stuff can get upgraded in the future. as long as you think the 3600 etc is a good enough of an upgrade from the CPU i have now? don't want to be spending money for the sake of it.

Soldato
i think the compromise is the 3600 with blingy ram and a nice mobo and then other stuff can get upgraded in the future. as long as you think the 3600 etc is a good enough of an upgrade from the CPU i have now? don't want to be spending money for the sake of it.
*Fast reply

I thought the upgrade was about form factor/size?

Is your 6600K clocked - you could argue selling the 6600K and slotting in a second hand 6700K and upgrading the GPU to the 2070 SUPER as combo would give immediate gratification.

You need to decide what's your main criteria for upgrade:
  • long term performance with view to upgrade - ignoring form factor
  • immediate gratification
  • form factor plus eye on budget/bling/upgradability(sic)
  • combo of above...

Associate
OP
so the upgrade is mainly me getting itchy fingers again for building and getting new shiny things.

the form factor/size is something i've been keen to sort as i've always been interested in doing a smaller build.

the 6600k is clocked to 4.2 currently, but on air and in a really really cramped space where the airflow is horrific.

it's a combo of the above, annoyingly. and obviously. i think instant gratification probably comes top, but i know i want the best my money can get really.

Soldato
it's a combo of the above, annoyingly. and obviously. i think instant gratification probably comes top, but i know i want the best my money can get really.
Gaming at 1440p 144Hz - it's the GPU - and if buying now 2070 SUPER is what i would go for or wait for 5700XT AIB.

I would then sit and wait for the b550 releases and look at the ITX offerings and benefit from CPU price drops too.

/off topic

@Plec almost like you were spec'ing for tamzzy then :p
He would have needed 2 x MP510's - @tamzzy is RAID ready :0 (i'm buying him a go-faster-stripe - Starsky and Hutch style - for his case.)

*Poor sod had had **** luck with his build - possible DOA CPU - but will hopefully be sorted by next Monday.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yeah that's possibly the route forward then!

is it worth waiting for the 5700XT AIB or will it be much of a muchness, assuming i do change to ryzen eventually?

and is there a particular 2070 SUPER card i need to be looking at above the others? :)

thanks for your time.

Soldato
is it worth waiting for the 5700XT AIB or will it be much of a muchness, assuming i do change to ryzen eventually?

and is there a particular 2070 SUPER card i need to be looking at above the others? :)
The 5700XT will be cheaper, no Ray Tracing (who cares) and will munch through 1440p - but really advise you wait for AIB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom