RyanAir

Associate
theres no reason we (passengers) cant get together and sit wherever we want unless you have paid for seats with the long leg room, i doubt anyone would have problem?

Associate
Plus they have the better looking women

couldn't agree more.

Although I noticed with ryanair that the price of changing seats for the 24hr checkin was e.g. £9 and then I looked again later and the price had gone up for the same selection.
I was carrying a largish carry on bag which just about squeezed into their bag checker template which was allowed luckily! As it was pretty heavy and overweight aswel so I was glad about that as they didn't check the 10kg weight limit.

Associate
Not that I wish to defend Ryanair, their employment practises are scummy in the extreme but mainly the problem here is the 737-800.

From memory, I believe that there is only room for about 40-50 standard size carry on luggage items in the overhead bins, the aircraft seats 189 people. There simply is'nt enough room and the ensuing chaos that usually results from a full flight causes countless delays (for all airlines), with an associated increase in costs to the airline. So airlines try to encourage people to check in their bags to be carried in the hold. Ryanair are'nt the only airline to do this. As to regard to charging for it - welcome to lo cost aviation, to be fair, Ryanair are'nt the only one to do this. Same for seat selection.

To be honest, last time I booked a seat with Ryanair the website was quite upfront about this.

theres no reason we (passengers) cant get together and sit wherever we want unless you have paid for seats with the long leg room, i doubt anyone would have problem?

I'm afraid not. The crew most certainly would. The pax configuration affects the center of gravity of the aircraft and needs to be accounted for. In extreme cases it can be catastrophic to get this wrong.

Soldato
I have just looked and I have a free seat either side of me. If I want my girlfriend to be sat their instead of at the front of the plane, it will cost another £19
Did you book together? If so, there's a likely way to 'save' money - buy tickets separately (ensure you aren't accessing via the same IP and if on the same device definitely clear cookies and use VPN) and then see how much it costs for one of you to move seats next to the other.

Worth a shot!

I found the prices for other 'extras' were substantially cheaper to buy whilst booking the ticket. The moment after booking, paying for bags etc. suddenly cost plenty more to book.

Don
I'm afraid not. The crew most certainly would. The pax configuration affects the center of gravity of the aircraft and needs to be accounted for. In extreme cases it can be catastrophic to get this wrong.

Ryanair flights are usually pretty full anyway so there isn't much option to change seats

Soldato
Of course there is - your tickets state a seat number. Why would someone move just because you asked? The people you're trying to move will only move if a) they're in a seat they no longer want to be in and b) they're not next to anyone they want to be next to.

You're most definitely not able to just sit together unless your fellow passengers permit it.

Associate
Ryanair flights are usually pretty full anyway so there isn't much option to change seats

True, but just a couple of passengers moving from the aft third of the aircraft to the forward third can push the CoG outside it's permitted envelope. I'm not suggesting this would cause the aircraft to crash (although theoretically, in extreme circumstances, it could), but airlines are extremely strict about how aircraft are loaded to ensure the aircraft remains inside it's operational mass and balance limits.

Soldato
Fly with them regularly, and I have no issues with them.
Oh no. You can’t sit next to your partner for a few hours, what a tragedy. Get a grip. If you want to pay for it; pay for it.
It’s £12 to bring a large bag on, your flight is still £xxx cheaper than anyone else.

Associate
I can't knock them for the price they charge.

Never been disappointed after checking the wallet post flight. Even though the service and product may be poor.

Think Mcdonalds.

Best I've managed out of them was 4 people return to France for 16p. All in; hold luggage, no extra tax, picked seats and all.

Can't beat a 1p flight, no matter the cramp.

Associate
True, but just a couple of passengers moving from the aft third of the aircraft to the forward third can push the CoG outside it's permitted envelope. I'm not suggesting this would cause the aircraft to crash (although theoretically, in extreme circumstances, it could), but airlines are extremely strict about how aircraft are loaded to ensure the aircraft remains inside it's operational mass and balance limits.

An extra split second of stab trim, or an extra few seconds of fuel transfer would suffice.

Your'e not going to push the critical c of g with a few people. (Remember; if it doesn't tip over on the ground, it certainly won't in the air.)

Note that they don't ask your weight and split the fatties fore and aft.

Associate
Only fly with then when forced. Id pay any amount extra not to be honest.

Last time involved some crazy situation on the runway where they were taking hand luggage off people to put in the hold and they missed their flight slot. This meant a 3 1/2 hour delay in 100 degree heat trapped on the plane with no working air con. They then tried to charge for cups of water.

Soldato
I can't knock them for the price they charge.

Never been disappointed after checking the wallet post flight. Even though the service and product may be poor.

Think Mcdonalds.

Best I've managed out of them was 4 people return to France for 16p. All in; hold luggage, no extra tax, picked seats and all.

Can't beat a 1p flight, no matter the cramp.

I had a 4p flight to and from Dublin for 2 including all taxes

Soldato
The baggage allowance was the final straw for me choosing a different airline on my last flight, despite being more expensive overall and more difficult to get to the airport. I still don't regret paying more.

Soldato
I have just looked and I have a free seat either side of me. If I want my girlfriend to be sat their instead of at the front of the plane, it will cost another £19

Book 2 seats next to each other towards the end of the plane. They're usually like £3 - 4 each. I have to fly with them quite often as they're the only airline flying direct from Manchester to where my family lives. Yes their extra fees are **** but 9 times out of 10 they're on time or early in the destination.

Caporegime
I'd rather insert an acid dipped pineapple up my chocolate starfish than fly that crap airline. Easyjet is as low as I'll go, and even that's Europe only. Long hauls are all proper airlines, none of this budget rubbish.

Soldato
Flew with them for work earlier this year ... was only EMA to Dublin so a very short flight and as it was for work just booked a ples ticket so didnt have to worry about cabin baggage etc. Would I prefer to fly with a better airline, yes ... can I put up with them for the short flight to Dublin ... i think so.

Associate
It's not like this is a surprise, Ryanair have always been the cheapest but worst. Lots of people really like cheap though.

There's a reason when O'Leary made a joke about charging to use the toilets some people thought he was serious.

Ryanair - some airlines don't care about their passengers, but we actively hate you.

Soldato
I am happy to pay more to fly with somebody else than fund their dishonest business model and line their **** CEO's pockets.

Back
Top Bottom