Thomas Cook

Caporegime
Reduced margin on package holidays because of trying to stay competitve with online competition. High overheads because of large amounts of stores to keep open and staff to pay.

Makes sense to an extent I suppose! I always saw them as offering a somewhat different product but suppose it would still impact them.

Caporegime
Reduced margin on package holidays because of trying to stay competitve with online competition. High overheads because of large amounts of stores to keep open and staff to pay.

This is why i personally see those jobs going anyway. The business model. Obviously isn't profitable.

Soldato
Yet you can categorically say it's a race to the bottom and use that exact strike as example. Interesting.

It's not that complicated.

In my industry, we've came very close to strike action over the past few years but we've never actually hit the cobbles. The process to get to an actual walkout is quite complex these days; it's notoriously difficult. When a work force makes it all the way to an actual strike then you know that there's something far wrong.

We've also recently secured a 9.5% rise over 2 years, so I know from personal experience that figures like that can be merited.

Soldato
Why are some hotels keeping holiday makers from leaving? Surely they have paid for their holiday already through TC or do TC hold back the money and pay later?
That's what I was thinking.
Besides their contract is with TC not the holiday maker.
Taken From the BBC news Website
It's low season at the moment, the time of year when Thomas Cook has to pay its suppliers for the busy summer season just gone.
Hoteliers are paid on 60 to 90-day terms, once travellers have already taken their holidays.
The nightmare scenario is that hoteliers who don't think they will get paid might turn out the people staying with them.

Soldato
Why are some hotels keeping holiday makers from leaving? Surely they have paid for their holiday already through TC or do TC hold back the money and pay later?
Simple, because they are scummy hotels. Hopefully their Tripadvisor pages are ruined. Very silly to ruin your reputation because your business is too reliant on one customer / you don't have contingency plans in place.

Soldato
Simple, because they are scummy hotels. Hopefully their Tripadvisor pages are ruined. Very silly to ruin your reputation because your business is too reliant on one customer / you don't have contingency plans in place.

Rather than focusing on the short term cash flow it's a chance for the hotel to shine and reassure the guests, earning thanks and repeat customers. Locking them in (or threatening to kick them out) if they don't pay twice for the same holiday is going to cause long term reputational damage and I certainly wouldn't want to book a place that had pulled such a stunt.

Soldato
Given that most of us have to have paid the full balance 6-8 weeks before the holiday, people like TC making hotels wait for 60-90 days AFTER the holiday is just taking the wee. I know its good business to manage your cash flow and TC (had) a strong negotiating position, but the Hotels have only themselves to blame for accepting such awful terms. They could have factored the debt off instead of screwing new customers over.

Soldato
Good exec's vs bad exec's.
TUI aren't just managing they are destroying the competition, seems a bit too literally now.

I wonder what will happen to the capacity if they do go under. To take Bristol Airport (which always seems to be pushing to expand) as an example, Tui and Thomas Cook seem to provide pretty much all of the package holidays between them. Will Tui massively increase their offering, will another company (e.g. Jet2) move in, or could there actually be a significant reduction in flight/holiday availability?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I’m currently in Ios, Greece having booked - and paid a little more - to go via Tui rather than Thomas Cook, whilst I hadn’t realised at the time things were as dire as they now seem for TC, I’m glad something in the back of my mind made me rethink my initial plan of going with TC.

Shame, a long standing business of good repute, brought down by it appears events relatively beyond their control.

I hope there’s some 11th hour rescue plan but I doubt it tbh.
I thought you went santorini?

Associate
You really think a pay rise offer of 11.5% over three years by BA is a 'race to the bottom'?

The B.A. figure comes from the fact that back in around 2008 when B.A. were in danger of going under they asked for and got significant saving from staff in terms of a reduction of their terms and conditions. Fast forward today and B.A. has made over a billion in profit. The 11.5% is signifcantly less than if they had not surrendered their T+C's earlier. Meanwhile the senior management are getting ever bigger bonuses. So yes, the 11.5% offer is a race to the bottom in terms of two steps forward, three steps back.

Soldato
The B.A. figure comes from the fact that back in around 2008 when B.A. were in danger of going under they asked for and got significant saving from staff in terms of a reduction of their terms and conditions. Fast forward today and B.A. has made over a billion in profit. The 11.5% is signifcantly less than if they had not surrendered their T+C's earlier. Meanwhile the senior management are getting ever bigger bonuses. So yes, the 11.5% offer is a race to the bottom in terms of two steps forward, three steps back.
2008 was eleven, nearly twelve years ago.... We're talking about the present not a time when the iPhone had only just been released. I assume many of the people striking joined in that long interim and were happy with the pay.

Back
Top Bottom