OcUK Dadsnet thread

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I bought a box set of 45 Mr Men stories off Amazon for about £30 or so a few months back. My 4-yr-old is usually out after 2 stories/10 minutes. #winning

Soldato
11 weeks now and tummy is getting big now. Wife can't wait for the scan next thuesday to confirm it's actually there and it's not just her getting fat :D

I really praying hard that it's all physically healthy

Caporegime
I guess 'old' is how old you feel. Medical conditions are way more important.

You can be 25 and crippled or 40 and fully healthy. I'm sure the 40 you will have the easier time.
That's what if be concerned with

I have developed a knee problem in last years at as yet in limbo (34 yo) and am thinking of having the snip seriously as I think it would just make it worse.

Soldato
44 isn't too old, for sure. I'd not want to be doing it that late, personally (imagine being over 60 before they finish school!), but some (or at least one) of the dads of kids in my son's class were 40 with their first. Me being 27 when he was born makes me younger than all his friends' dads by at least a couple of years.

Soldato
I was 27 when our daughter was born and there are times when I think it would have been better to have her earlier! I don't think there is ever an optimal time to have kids.

It's interesting now seeing the people who I went to school with and had kids really young; it must be nice to be in your early 30s / late 20s and have kids starting high school. A lady I worked with was 35 and her son was 16, it was brilliant for her as she could now focus on her career knowing that it wouldn't need to be put on hold to raise kids.

Soldato
I had our oldest when I was 24 and youngest at 39. I think it's pros and cons really, I'm much better financially settled and our world revolves around the youngest whereas previously kids seemed to cramp the social life. However, it's nice having adult kids before 40 as it means you still have much in common.

I do sometimes wonder how the youngest little madam will view us when she's 20 and we're just hitting 60. Should probably be fine, but I wouldn't want to have left it much later.

I have also noticed that there are quite a lot of "older" parents around these days.

Soldato
I lost my mind last night, got a little frantic tbh.

Esme (13 months) slipped whilst playing near soft play with mum and managed to break her two brand new front teeth (or so we thought). Loads if blood, loads of screaming and 111 advised A&E. We are on holiday at centreparcs so off we went to Kings Mill.

Doctor there said she hasn't actually broken them but basically she's hit her two front teeth right where they meet and pushed both up at that point into her gums. The outer point has stayed where they are so it looks like she's got little fangs. Sent us away because they don't have a dentist on site, told us to make an emergency appointment this morning.

Dentist said it's unlikely to have damaged her adult teeth as they won't really have formed yet but can't rule it out.
He thinks in time the front teeth will right themselves to some degree in about 6 weeks but we have to watch out for abscess.

We feel like such massive failures have wrecked our babies new teeth. I have tooth issues as it is having had several of mine kicked out during an assault in my early 20's and I'm struggling to even look at her at the moment without shuddering.

Soldato
I lost my mind last night, got a little frantic tbh.

Esme (13 months) slipped whilst playing near soft play with mum and managed to break her two brand new front teeth (or so we thought). Loads if blood, loads of screaming and 111 advised A&E. We are on holiday at centreparcs so off we went to Kings Mill.

Doctor there said she hasn't actually broken them but basically she's hit her two front teeth right where they meet and pushed both up at that point into her gums. The outer point has stayed where they are so it looks like she's got little fangs. Sent us away because they don't have a dentist on site, told us to make an emergency appointment this morning.

Dentist said it's unlikely to have damaged her adult teeth as they won't really have formed yet but can't rule it out.
He thinks in time the front teeth will right themselves to some degree in about 6 weeks but we have to watch out for abscess.

We feel like such massive failures have wrecked our babies new teeth. I have tooth issues as it is having had several of mine kicked out during an assault in my early 20's and I'm struggling to even look at her at the moment without shuddering.
Kids fall over all the time. Mine have amassed quite a few cuts and bruises,although the worst teeth related one was biting the gum when they fell over. I'd be surprised (although I'm not a Dr or dentist) if she's damaged adult teeth, they normal don't grow for another 7 years. Gums are pretty tender as I suspect you'll know if you were missing a few teeth. I bet she was back to playing after a while. Ultimately teeth are not that essential, your child is still breathing and I assume happy so don't worry.

Soldato
George is forever getting cuts and bruises. Can't wrap them up in cotton wool. He will soon learn if he drops a toy on his head it will hurt.

Soldato
Thanks chaps, previous long term relationships didn't work out so feel lucky to have the chance
You feel lucky so make the most of it, and that's it right there, you'll probably make more of it because of your age, as I did, than some of the younger ones will. It'll be the best time of your life if you let it :)

Associate
I am 42 in March and my 2nd child is due late Feb next year. My 1st child is 2 in December this year. I am fully prepared to run completely knackered most of next year :D As others have said it isn't too old but it will be tiring.

Associate
I think early 20s is when it's ideal to have kids, but only if you are okay financially and have help from parents. That way you have the energy for it and your kids are grown by your 40s.

Buy then again, it's probably better to have kids later and be financially secure than to have them younger and be struggling. 44 is fine, but it's probably advisable to start looking after your physical health properly, if you're not already.

Back
Top Bottom