• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Man of Honour
Heh, did anyone saw the 1065G7 vs 3700U?

The 10nm Ice Lake is barely faster than the 12nm Zen+!

While the Ryzen 3700U system offered good performance in certain categories, the Ice Lake-based system was significantly faster in most benchmarks. However, one important area we haven’t touched on is price.

It’s no secret that Intel has had difficultly with the Ice Lake architecture and the move to 10nm in general. These new 10nm chips are behind schedule, hard to find and, as some have argued, more expensive than expected. This all results in Ice Lake being initially available only in higher-end systems that carry a price premium.

I hate to pick up on this as it makes me look like an Intel fan boy - but I'm assuming you are talking about the gaming APU results here? where they mostly traded blows because in raw CPU tasks the 1065G7 for the most part is quite a bit ahead - in some cases running away from the 3700U. Another factor as well as the Ice Lake CPU stock for stock is running a tighter TDP profile - if you unlock both to similar power profiles the 1065G7 generally pulls ahead in every benchmark.

The disinformation that gets perpetuated in this section really does no one favours.

Unless they can pull a rabbit out the hat I dunno why Intel is persisting with 10nm it seems like throwing good money after bad at this point - by the time they've tweaked it to get the first generation of high performance products on it it won't be hugely better than refined 12nm/FF.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its worth pointing out that the 3700U is NOT Zen 2, it is infect Zen+ and Vega, last generation Ryzen 2000, 12nm.

Why AMD chose to do this to themselves, why they don't use Zen 2 and Navi for their Portables is beyond me...

Caporegime
Its worth pointing out that the 3700U is NOT Zen 2, it is infect Zen+ and Vega, last generation Ryzen 2000, 12nm.

Why AMD chose to do this to themselves, why they don't use Zen 2 and Navi for their Portables is beyond me...

It seeks to confuse and nigh on decieve consumers.
Whether it's better than Intel's offerings isn't relevant to that specific.

Permabanned
Ryzen 9 3900 3.1GHz 65W Listed https://twitter.com/momomo_us/status/1176878875256639488

Ryzen-9-3900-65-W-listed.png

Associate

Because it takes time to design and validate an SoC, and Zen 2 was not mature enough? It wasn't a choice as much as a time constraint.

Permabanned
The clock speed on the 3900 will make it not best suited as a gaming chip. Pure desktop/workstation sku.

Sounds like games won't run at all - sounds as an over exaggeration which is not correct. Games is about more threads and performance difference would be 1-2 FPS, not more.
And the SKU can be OCed by the user.

Soldato
I hate to pick up on this as it makes me look like an Intel fan boy - but I'm assuming you are talking about the gaming APU results here? where they mostly traded blows because in raw CPU tasks the 1065G7 for the most part is quite a bit ahead - in some cases running away from the 3700U. Another factor as well as the Ice Lake CPU stock for stock is running a tighter TDP profile - if you unlock both to similar power profiles the 1065G7 generally pulls ahead in every benchmark.

The disinformation that gets perpetuated in this section really does no one favours.

Unless they can pull a rabbit out the hat I dunno why Intel is persisting with 10nm it seems like throwing good money after bad at this point - by the time they've tweaked it to get the first generation of high performance products on it it won't be hugely better than refined 12nm/FF.

This prompted my post.

Soldato
I see all over the internet this myth that VDDG should be 40-50mv below SOC. This is a Chinese whisper if you ask me.

This is from the likes of the Stilt and 1usmus, but what makes them qualified to say this is correct?

Show me AMD words that say the same and I'll believe you.

The only official AMD words I can find come from the Ryzen master documentation that says VDDG and SOC should be started at 1.1v for ram (IF) overclocking.

Page 34

---

This bothers me clearly. As the one aspect I hate about overclocking is the unknowns and when certain things get thrown around as fact, when in the end they are just whispers which have became truths.

---

It bothers me because I think the VDDG voltage might be the missing ingredient to getting my ram stable, something I have not been setting as the dram calc claims that 0.950v which is stock was sufficient. (Hence my instability)

---

Anyway I've set both SOC and VDDG to 1.1v and if things are still stable in a good 3 weeks I'll know I'm in the clear.

Last edited:
Soldato
@opethdisciple idk mate, i use what ever the calculator gives.
Scalled back to 3800 ram speed and used the recommended settings of 1.1 SOC, 0.950 VDGG, 0.900 VDDP.
Already had a spin with Windows memory testing app, and the Ryzen Dram calculator benchmark tool.

Back
Top Bottom