Have Environment Issues Caused a Change in Your Behaviour?

Soldato
... maybe the extinction rebellion anarchists will glue themselves to the road in fron of the arctics if they cared about the planet

Soldato
I say enjoy the throw away world that we live in now for as long as you can because in a decade or so, so much stuff will be banned or chargeable that the days of just throwing anything in the bin will be gone.

Future generations will look back and say "wow, they could buy anything and throw anything away, have as many kids as they liked and forget about it. Mad world"

Caporegime
Well I can totally relate to everything in that quote. Being born in 76.

It does seem for me to that the mass trash production coincides with the birth of bottled waters and the mega supermarket era. Which would be the late 80s onward. Maybe that's just when I became aware of it all.

Ah whatever doesn't change anything....

I would quite happily have milk delivered in a bottle if it cost the same as the supermarket. Everyone also wants food that lasts for a long time. Something that is wrapped in a paper bag will last a couple of days. Sealed in a plastic container will last a lot longer.

Permabanned
Interesting.
What was it that triggered you to investigate.
What where the physical effects?

The local GP recommended investigation - she'd noticed what seemed to be a cluster. The effects were various forms of nerve malfunction. Eg. A supersensitivity to small changes in heat, autonomous partial limb activation, the 'ability' to sense small milligauss (eg. 485-495, range 10) changes in magnetic field, sudden blurring vision, etc.

The worst of these environment-induced effects were neuropsychiatric - brain nerve timing malfunction akin to some kinds of post-surgical delirium and schizophrenia. It took some time to figure out the logic of its effects but I busted it using a custom cognitive program I developed in the end.

Last edited:
Associate
The thing that irritates me is that no one thinks about the cost of having kids, this in itself is a big environmental impact.

I would tax child benefit .. say 5% per brat for environmental concerns. After all its them who will be seeing the benefit in 50 years time.

Caporegime
I say enjoy the throw away world that we live in now for as long as you can because in a decade or so, so much stuff will be banned or chargeable that the days of just throwing anything in the bin will be gone.

Future generations will look back and say "wow, they could buy anything and throw anything away, have as many kids as they liked and forget about it. Mad world"

Lol, some silly statements here. How dare someone take my freedom to ruin billions of lives!

Soldato
It's quite interesting to me how the hysteria around this can totally affect someone and others don't even notice it. My partner's sister went from a happy go-lucky woman when I last saw her in January to not shutting up for a second about the 'mortal danger' we're in. She's at every single protest, have severe climate change related anxiety, rants and raves about recycling and being carbon neutral or negative. Basically, hook, line and sinker. Uses all the right buzzwords I passingly hear on my local gym television talking head type shows. You all know the type. On the other hand, her entire family couldn't care less about any of this, despite (presumably) having been exposed to the same information she has. Yet for whatever reason she's totally influenced and nobody else is. Probably silly but I just find it fascinating.

Soldato
I use my computer pretty much all day every day. I tried to get the most efficient power supply I could afford, and I have energy saving bulbs in all of my lights, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I am aware of the amount of rubbish I produce though. Unfortunately some food comes with lots of packaging, and because I am not very good in the kitchen, I tend to have to buy ready meals which always have awful packaging. I want to do more, but I'm not sure how.

Caporegime
It's quite interesting to me how the hysteria around this can totally affect someone and others don't even notice it. My partner's sister went from a happy go-lucky woman when I last saw her in January to not shutting up for a second about the 'mortal danger' we're in. She's at every single protest, have severe climate change related anxiety, rants and raves about recycling and being carbon neutral or negative. Basically, hook, line and sinker. Uses all the right buzzwords I passingly hear on my local gym television talking head type shows. You all know the type. On the other hand, her entire family couldn't care less about any of this, despite (presumably) having been exposed to the same information she has. Yet for whatever reason she's totally influenced and nobody else is. Probably silly but I just find it fascinating.

First mistake is thinking a family is exposed to the same information simply because they're a family, almost certainly they are not, and if they are, it's at different angles.

Second mistake is thinking that majority of people aren't regurgitating things on purpose, as an ease of message, it's not particularly intelligent, but then no one cared about an intelligent shout in any event.

Soldato
Lol, some silly statements here. How dare someone take my freedom to ruin billions of lives!
That's just how I see it. I'm not trying to be bad or good, it's just humans and how they work. Once it gets so bad we can't function as selfish beings things will change.

Yes some are thoughtful and want change now but most are just wrapped up in their own lives doing the day to day thing.

Soldato
I use my computer pretty much all day every day. I tried to get the most efficient power supply I could afford, and I have energy saving bulbs in all of my lights, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I am aware of the amount of rubbish I produce though. Unfortunately some food comes with lots of packaging, and because I am not very good in the kitchen, I tend to have to buy ready meals which always have awful packaging. I want to do more, but I'm not sure how.
Even fresh food has loads of packaging. Only way around it is to grow your own.

Soldato
That’s down to British supermarkets. In France, all fresh fruit and veg is presented in trays like an old school greengrocers. Not sure how recyclable the tear off plastic bags are though.

Additionally, all the fruit and veg (75% French, 25% Spanish being close to the border) is seasonal. There’s a lot of proudly advertised local produce and it’s “you drove past the farm on your way to the store” local.

Man of Honour
only ever buy petrol cars and run them for ~10yrs - next cars will be electric - never owned a diesel

Ironically diesel cars are better for the overall environment then petrol ones. Its local air quality that they cause problems with and ironically the anti diesel push has ended up being detrimental to the climate change fight as petrol vehicles consume more fuel and therefore emit more co2.

Remember that was the whole point in pushing them on people.

Associate

I'd imagine that its certain personality types that are affected in this way, there's got to be some kind of in built susceptibility to it or something.

I notice that most like this are women, perhaps she's way more neurotic that the others.

Back
Top Bottom