Have Environment Issues Caused a Change in Your Behaviour?

Soldato
Screaming at people isn't going to change their minds.

The only way things will change is if people engage in the political process, which I suspect will mean either forming a new political party or co-opting an existing one.

Just wanted to say, it did change my mind. All the recent noise about climate change has prompted me to take more action.

Soldato
Screaming at people isn't going to change their minds.

The only way things will change is if people engage in the political process, which I suspect will mean either forming a new political party or co-opting an existing one.

Oh no, I'm with you there, I'm glad people are talking about it and it's being talked about etc but shouting at people or blocking people from buying meat at a supermarket goes too far.

Caporegime
Oh no, I'm with you there, I'm glad people are talking about it and it's being talked about etc but shouting at people or blocking people from buying meat at a supermarket goes too far.

Why is it too far?

Only need to look at womans suffrage to see how effective this kind of disruption is, though perhaps blocking people is a bit obnoxious, merely being there to cast judgement should be enough. Shouting at people is entirely whatever.

As i say, this is an entirely different ball game, the stakes are infinitely high and so the obstructionism will also be infinitely as justified.

Permabanned
yes watched the Greta warm up act, and was just screaming

She's a **** tbh. If she genuinely gave a **** about what she was talking about she would have spoken from the heart, not looking down at some bit of paper and then screaming into the mic trying to look passionate.

So cringe.

Caporegime
She's a **** tbh. If she genuinely gave a **** about what she was talking about she would have spoken from the heart, not looking down at some bit of paper and then screaming into the mic trying to look passionate.

So cringe.

The only cringey thing is you're intimidated by a little girl, making a flippant argument to insult her. If she had spoken without the speech in front of her, you would have found some other reason to insult her. You could in fact... ignore her.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is it too far?

Only need to look at womans suffrage to see how effective this kind of disruption is, though perhaps blocking people is a bit obnoxious, merely being there to cast judgement should be enough. Shouting at people is entirely whatever.

As i say, this is an entirely different ball game, the stakes are infinitely high and so the obstructionism will also be infinitely as justified.

People have the free will to do as they please. Physically obstructing or being aggressive to get your point across is too far, in my opinion. Yes, educate those who will listen, but being a dick about it will have a negative effect.

Soldato
she speaks in a vitriolic way, that's unfortunately part of her autism I guess, children who watch her will probably take that as emotion, but it's not a rational, fashion for a person to communicate; I've not seen interviews with her parents but would be interesting to see how they view her communication.

not looking down at some bit of paper
I assume that merkel and macron had a teleprompter , since there speeches were pretty eloquent/comprehensive, to be done without prompts.

Caporegime
she speaks in a vitriolic way, that's unfortunately part of her autism I guess, children who watch her will probably take that as emotion, but it's not a rational, fashion for a person to communicate; I've not seen interviews with her parents but would be interesting to see how they view her communication.

I assume that merkel and macron had a teleprompter , since there speeches were pretty eloquent/comprehensive, to be done without prompts.

She speaks in the way required by a generation that's been entirely ****** over should speak. You have your's, so why would you be mad? This whole situation is entirely deserving of irrational anger, as everything previously has been ignored anyway. Being calm, collected and understanding has gotten us the square root of nothing to show for it from the scientists that have been on this case for literally decades.

So cast your judgement and aspersions of her all you like, if it makes it easier to justify not acting in a manner that actually does something.

Last edited:
Soldato
[telling greta parents interview https://youtu.be/GiD04TRwebQ?t=180 ]

You really think there has been no progress .... Macron/Merkel outlined some ?

But, as I had said, if I were Greta's speech writer, enumerating actions that children themselves could take, as well, would show some pragmatism.

Soldato
The father seems to thinks it's in her interest .. but, from video, has clearly fuelled it.

edit: pretty obvious
How obsessions, routines and rituals help children and teenagers with autism spectrum disorder
We don’t know what causes obsessive behaviour or the need for routines and rituals. The cause might not be the same for everyone.

For young children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) who have limited play skills, special interests can be just something they enjoy.

For many children with ASD, obsessions, routines and rituals can also be a response to stress and anxiety. Their communication difficulties can make it hard for them to understand what’s happening around them, and this is stressful for them. But their obsessions and rituals let them feel more in control of their environment.
hopefully a doctor reviewed the fathers approach.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very much so.

Cut down in single use plastics drastically this year:
- Buying loose veg, grains, nuts seeds, even if a bit more expensive.
- Have water bottles in my car, at work, to avoid buying bottled water unless desperate.
- I happily wander into cafes and ask them to refill my bottle when out and about.
- I am acting as a collection point for plastics typically not collected by the local council (https://www.terracycle.com/en-GB/brigades), take them to my local Terracycle rep, who sends it away for recycling. I've set up a collection point at work.
- If I need to buy something, and if everything else is equal, I will buy the one with less plastic or plastic packaging, again even if a bit more expensive.
- Stopped buying meal deals; making more food from scratch to bring into work.
- When going to salad bars if I haven't been able to make lunch for work, I keep containers at work, and take them to be filled up.
- I have reduced wrapping gifts, preferring re-usable gift bags.
- If I have to use gift wrap, I use brown paper and colourful bio-degradable cotton twine. (got lots of nice comments about them at Christmas and New Year).
- Energy plan from supplier is 90% + from renewables.

Probably other stuff which I can't remember. Essentially, I am a lot more considerate in my habits these days, especially when it comes to reducing waste.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I haven't changed my behaviour because my environmental impact was already far lower than average:

1) I don't have children. This is probably the single biggest factor in environmental impact.
2) I don't have a car.
3) I don't go on holiday.
4) I don't buy fashion clothing. I rarely buy clothing at all.
5) I rarely travel further than walking distance.

Ignorant, irrationally prejudiced obsessives shouting at me without suggesting any solutions to any problems and ignoring everything already done by everyone who they regard as being too old (while claiming credit for those actions) will not cause me to willingly change my behaviour.

Soldato
No kids
No car for almost 7 years, which was mostly used for ~5 mile each way commutes
No holidays abroad for 10+ years (so no plane travel)
Cycling for commutes and picking up groceries
Extremely rare buy plastic carrier bags, using rucksack and re-useable material ones
Recycling materials as much as we can, despite Southampton's council being so far behind the times on what it will collect and yet having such a rapidly increasing population
Turning off electricity consuming items including PC and lights if I'm not needing them in the next ~5mins
Only putting a bit more water in kettle than my mug requires
Emersion heater only comes on for ~1.5 hours by standard per day
Taking re-useable Starbucks cup on holiday (as it's the only time I usually buy coffee when out)
etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been burning twice as many tyres as usual. Also trying to recycle as little as possible.

Also switched the fire place over from gas to coal. Try to use the fire as much as possible and have the ac on in the room with the fire so it doesn't get too warm, while also having the heating on the the rest of the house.

Associate
Mine is pretty low as well.
I have no kids so not only do i not bugger the environment with them but i have piece and quiet and money in my pocket for tyres to burn.
I do not go on holiday abroad, so no plane pollution.
I drive a light car with a reasonably frugal engine
I only put a bin out once every two weeks as i dont need to do it every week.
I burn children in my wood burner for heat.
I dont buy expensive fashion crap.

On the other side of things i do go through tyres a lot... hmm not sure why :p

Soldato
It hasn't changed my behaviour much past making sure I put the empty loo rolls in the cardboard bin as opposed to the general bin. If anyone thinks that's saving the planet then they need their head looked at. The whole movement has created a sanctimonious culture and it solves very little. I've spoken to people who think that fossil fuels produce petrol and diesel and not much else, and I had a hilarious conversation with a resident from Lewis who was horrified that they wanted to build wind farms on his beautiful island.

I've got no time for people brimming with problems without solutions, and this climate change hysteria is full of people like that. Individual change is a drop in the ocean, it's business and industry that needs to change.

The paradox with this is that people want to flick the kettle on, turn the Nest to 22C, dig out their phone and pollute the internet with their self righteous lectures. The people hitting the streets to disrupt others are ten times worse.

Back
Top Bottom