Have Environment Issues Caused a Change in Your Behaviour?

Associate
I think it has made me aware of what I can do more than change my behaviour.

• only ever buy petrol cars and run them for ~10yrs - next cars will be electric - never owned a diesel
  • any journey <3 miles is walked
  • all appliances at least A++ and only use the drier when absolutely have to - would own excessively large/numerous appliances with functions like pyrolysis clean or air conditioning.
  • my electricity is 100% green and gas 100% carbon offset
  • Very careful about what is left on.
  • I've spent far more on insulating my house than I will ever save through heating bills
  • Try and buy local/UK made stuff

What I’m not sure is how to cut my plastic waste further - supermarkets make this very difficult

Is my log burner better for the environment?
Reduces cereal heating but makes carbon?

Permabanned
I haven't changed my behaviour because my environmental impact was already far lower than average:

1) I don't have children. This is probably the single biggest factor in environmental impact.
2) I don't have a car.
3) I don't go on holiday.
4) I don't buy fashion clothing. I rarely buy clothing at all.
5) I rarely travel further than walking distance.

Ignorant, irrationally prejudiced obsessives shouting at me without suggesting any solutions to any problems and ignoring everything already done by everyone who they regard as being too old (while claiming credit for those actions) will not cause me to willingly change my behaviour.

This is a life that I do not want to have.
You know that if you stop reproducing, the Africans and Arabees won't and the future will belong to them?!

Associate
Well yes but no one seems to think about how much they are further polluting the planet when they bring a bunch of sprogs into this world - mainly because talking about things like this is so evocative.

Soldato
Well yes but no one seems to think about how much they are further polluting the planet when they bring a bunch of sprogs into this world - mainly because talking about things like this is so evocative.

Guess the other option is to wipe out China and India, that'll sort climate change out as long as we do it in a carbon neutral way :p

They were talking on the news today how people with green energy tariffs thought they were only receiving renewable generated electricity. They didnt quite grasp the idea of a national grid :D

Associate
Well yeah, anyone who a good clean way of doing genocide that does impact the environment much??? must be able to scale up to 3 billion or so. :p

Still something else bothering me a lot.
I dont appreciate being called this...that and the other by folk on the other end of a keyboard..or even some bratt at the UN. Not when i dont actually cause much in the way of problems anyway.
It seems to be the way it is these days, someone has a grump about something (environment, brexit ect) and then all of a sudden your a ****.
Well no actually.
I dont pollute the plant much at all, far less than most on here prob do and prob less than a typical person on the street. I looked at my carbon footprint a we while ago and it wasnt big.
I am also a Tory and heck you would think i worship the devil and eat kids (i tried, didnt like the taste) - some of the disgusting things folk say you are.
None of which would take place face to face, i mean try comparing me to a pig *******, low life scum filth gammon or what not to my face just because you think all tories are scum and see how quick your ambulance comes for you.

Point i am trying to make is that not all folk are a problem, and if you want to get them on your side them going online and calling them big names is not the way to do it.

Caporegime
Well I can totally relate to everything in that quote. Being born in 76.

It does seem for me to that the mass trash production coincides with the birth of bottled waters and the mega supermarket era. Which would be the late 80s onward. Maybe that's just when I became aware of it all.

Ah whatever doesn't change anything....

Soldato
ACzG1iIl.jpg

I saw this on facebook that someone posted and as I was reading it I thought how true this is. I had to use my bad editing skills to make it forum safe :)

Yeah, because it's children that choose all those things, not that they just happen to be the generation when centuries of human progress got society to the point that the above things happen.

Soldato
Well I can totally relate to everything in that quote. Being born in 76.

It does seem for me to that the mass trash production coincides with the birth of bottled waters and the mega supermarket era. Which would be the late 80s onward. Maybe that's just when I became aware of it all.

Ah whatever doesn't change anything....

Born in 1965.
My parents grew up through WW2 and the near decade of rationing that followed. They didn’t waste a damn thing. No car journeys if you could walk or cycle there. All food and garden waste composted. My mother’s delight at our being able to afford a freezer so she could make food keep even longer was a joy to behold.

Permabanned
Sticking to the thread title: yes. Environment changes forced I and my kids to move house as a result of some unknown communication tech critter deciding it was ok to blast magnetic fields of 3.9 to 4.2 gauss (in a minimum 10ft wide beam - we had a multi-sensor setup) through our house without consultation. Fwiw - constant 10+ minutes duration is not 'transient'.

Soldato
Sticking to the thread title: NO

I can't do anything really, i recycle were i can. But i don't even own a car and i only fly once a couple of years...if that, grow my own veg but this is only because that's how I live my life, not because of any environmental concerns. Yeah, I do have loads of electronic devices and use my home theater every night. But without that, I would have no joy in my life and what would be the point of living otherwise? Whatever i do won't change a squat in the grand scheme of things and I don't know why I should when it's huge companies that i doing the vast amount of pollution.

Caporegime
Sticking to the thread title: yes. Environment changes forced I and my kids to move house as a result of some unknown communication tech critter deciding it was ok to blast magnetic fields of 3.9 to 4.2 gauss (in a minimum 10ft wide beam - we had a multi-sensor setup) through our house without consultation. Fwiw - constant 10+ minutes duration is not 'transient'.

Interesting.
What was it that triggered you to investigate.
What where the physical effects?

Caporegime
People have the free will to do as they please. Physically obstructing or being aggressive to get your point across is too far, in my opinion. Yes, educate those who will listen, but being a dick about it will have a negative effect.

And what about those who don't listen who are impacting everyone else?
What you're effectively saying is if a guy's got a gun against your head and the negotiator has failed is just let the gunman get on with it.
Unfortunately we can't afford to just stand by watching.

Caporegime
Guess the other option is to wipe out China and India, that'll sort climate change out as long as we do it in a carbon neutral way :p

They were talking on the news today how people with green energy tariffs thought they were only receiving renewable generated electricity. They didnt quite grasp the idea of a national grid :D

China, India and the US would pretty much sort it. Or at least buy us a lot more time.

Caporegime
Sticking to the thread title: NO

I can't do anything really, i recycle were i can. But i don't even own a car and i only fly once a couple of years...if that, grow my own veg but this is only because that's how I live my life, not because of any environmental concerns. Yeah, I do have loads of electronic devices and use my home theater every night. But without that, I would have no joy in my life and what would be the point of living otherwise? Whatever i do won't change a squat in the grand scheme of things and I don't know why I should when it's huge companies that i doing the vast amount of pollution.

Every little helps, simple as. If everyone did a little bit more then it would help in the grand scheme.
Who do you think those huge companies serve? Us.

Soldato
Yeah, because it's children that choose all those things, not that they just happen to be the generation when centuries of human progress got society to the point that the above things happen.
those children weren't themselves contributing as much to the downfall, so, if they had had the means (fbook..)to cry out, then, it would have been less hypocritical than now,
Midwich Greta triggering them, without being able to suggest (as discussed) some practical steps they could take to reduce their carbon burn rate.
the huge companies are serving the resource we hold most precious the children.
(I haven't seen a break-out to see if children have a larger carbon component than adults)

Back
Top Bottom