Joker (2019)

Associate
Have heard nothing but good things about it :). Except I still refuse to accept it as a proper DC Joker Film, especially if the reported rumors about Scorsese was correct, I will have been right all along; it was never a true Joker film. :mad:

Soldato
So I saw this on Wednesday.

I know very little about comic book heroes etc (DC or Marvel) so i have no idea if this film is contrary to any other Joker origin story.

This probably helped because as a stand alone film its excellent, however how it fits in with the DC Universe I have no idea.

One bit I thought was a little irrelevant and was shoehorned in :

The Bruce Wayne as a young boy reveal

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I'll be off to the cinema to watch it. Something about the trailers; the cinematography or the colour contrast reminded me of sitting around watching washed out films on a CRT.
It's supposed to look like the 70s/80s films it takes its influence from - such as King of Comedy or Taxi Driver, so perhaps that's what you're seeing?

Soldato
Back from seeing it. It's good, but I wasn't blown away. My fave film this year has been Midsommar (let's be honest there hasn't been much to shout about this year bar Avengers if you are into Marvel..)

I haven't seen better acting this year so Joaquin Phoenix should be in contention for an Academy award, let's see what else is thrown our way before then.

I felt uneasy watching this, feeling for a villain (even though he isn't, we all know who he is and clearly in the process) then catching myself and readjusting only to be pulled back into that empathetic mind state despite what I was watching happen. Apart from this aspect the film overall didn't do an awful lot for me bar some fleeting moments where it is insanely good.

It's ambiguous enough that it's fine as a standalone.

***DO NOT CLICK ON THE SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ENDING SPOILING***

I found the clear intimation that Batman is pretty much created by Joker, while Joker is partly created by Thomas Wayne to be ****. I was ready to slate the film for this. However the final scene in the asylum killed it, that's a PERFECT way to "explain" how The Joker is created IMO.

In fact thinking about it more it's like a messy time travel film, trying to figure out the possibilities of what was real and not, who is telling the truth, how one thing can then be explained away with another. Is the real villain T.Wayne?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Joker... As above (Fusby) was good but not blown away... One of the criteria I use to judge a film is how keen I am to watch it again - with this not really that interested in seeing it again.

My big problem is that while the movie did a good job of developing the Joker character from his origins at no point did I get much intelligence from Joker... I realise that the Joker is supposed to be chaotic but with Ledger's performance I got the whole 'mastermind chaotic madness vibe' with Joaquin's take I almost got shades of 'Forrest Gump goes bad'.

7/10

Soldato
I really enjoyed it. I do like how they've gone about making this film (the tone and feeling) and how he becomes Joker. Also like how at times you feel sorry for him and then the next minute don't care. The film pulls at your emotions I found. Some clever parts in it as well as one funny part that made me laugh out loud. Also one or two parts that he looked very much like Ledger's Joker and from comics.

I thought it could have been a little longer though, as I wanted to see more of his uprising as the villain. Hope they continue the story in the future with him playing the role. Can see this getting awards for sure.

Man of Honour
Looks like pansies are walking out from this because its too terrifying and glorifying gun violence, what ?

From what I've read, it isn't guns specifically, more that it's just unrelentingly bleak and brutal, with certain adult themes normally not included in comic book movies. I can see why people with 15 year old kids might walk out if they hadn't seen trailers/read up about it, and thought it was simply going to be a fantastical Marvel style movie. Either way, it helps the film as it's all free advertising, which the mainstream media has given it plenty of already ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Soldato
That was among, one of the best films I've seen in years.

It was so cerebral, just an unremittingly bleak look at a part of society which is either ignored or demonised. Remove the comic book elements and it would be being raved about (it is even with the comic elements) it was just brilliant.

Phoenix was outstanding, the score was just perfect in setting the scene, the pacing was brilliant and just the general tone. Wow. All the parts with violence came completely unexpectedly and had a big impact and all the stuff going on in his head was just crazy.

I said he would never lay a glove on Ledger in terms of the performance, could be better IMO. I know they will now inevitably try and tie this in to batman and make some mega franchise, I don't think they should, but they will, if they do they need to draw on the comics heavily again and make it a very dark, complex and psychological film similar to the comics and not a dumb punch up.

Utterly awesome film.

Last edited:
Soldato
Saw it this evening and I'm still reeling from it. It's unbelievably bleak, at times uncomfortable to watch, but it's also fascinating. I thought Phoenix was amazing as the Joker, I too think he's better than Heath Ledger. This version of the Joker makes Ledger's version look very PG in comparison and actually quite sane and with it. I probably wouldn't advise people go see it if they're having a really hard time with life or they suffer from depression or similar, because it's likely you'll come out of the cinema feeling a bit lower than when you went in, but it's a remarkable film nonetheless.

Soldato
Saw this with wife and daughter tonight

All 3 of us thought it was superb

Don't question it just go see it

Some fantastic throwbacks to previous jokers and teed up for a sequel or follow on

This could be THE film to kick-start the DC franchise

Soldato
I'll spoiler this just in case but did anyone think

When he was standing on the car at the end and uses the blood from his mouth to redraw the Joker smile that it was creepy as hell and then the smile he gave with blood up his face was terrifying and he looked so disturbingly like you would expect the Joker to look. A really visually brilliant scene.

Back
Top Bottom