• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Associate
It's like getting a Ferrari and running it on budget tyres - you're not giving it a chance to perform the way it can.

a) Consider Linux (Fedora 31 at the end of the month or Ubuntu 19.10 at the end of the month also)
b) You hampering the CPU. All we learn is to leave the CPU do it's thing and not restrict it. With ABBA bios I get 4625 x 1, 4600 x 2, 4550 x 2, 4500 x 1 on CCD0 and 4400 flat all 6 cores on CCD1.
No further tweaking needed. If you do not want to run the CPU like that, the best next thing, in bios set the CPU offset to -0.050mv

I'm not hampering my CPU. I get better scores for overclocking on my graphics card just using 1 CCX. I don't just edit videos on my system. and no to linux for day to day stuff.

Soldato
I'm not hampering my CPU. I get better scores for overclocking on my graphics card just using 1 CCX. I don't just edit videos on my system. and no to linux for day to day stuff.

gaming on linux is fine these days if you mean that. Development also, hell even Visual Studio runs out of the box today.

But as you please.

Soldato
I'm not hampering my CPU. I get better scores for overclocking on my graphics card just using 1 CCX. I don't just edit videos on my sstem. and no to linux for day to day stuff.
Well you shouldn't really complain about the poor performance of your 3900X when you are using Windows 7. Windows 10 is designed much better to deal with modern hardware and multiples of cores than Windows 7.

Soldato
used linux before for science (CentOS)

Depends the "before". I used for almost 15 years from 1993 to 2008. But today is greatly improved at all fronts and completely unrecognized.
Thought you can still manually patch kernels etc by hand to improve performance or add functionality that might take 6 months to be implemented :D

Like the patch to add RPM fan control and temperature reading on Ryzen 3000 series while waiting for 5.4 kernel. :p

Caporegime
Is there a big difference between temp reductions when using liquid metal vs say a high-quality paste such as Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut? Anyone here tried it?

Soldato
Is there a big difference between temp reductions when using liquid metal vs say a high-quality paste such as Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut? Anyone here tried it?
Yes but the question is does it worth? The Ryzen CPUs aren't monolithic having a center core. There are 2-3 chips on different locations. So you have to apply a very fine layer on both sides
However to use liquid metal on CPUs you need to make sure your heatsink is truly AMD compatible following the shape of the IHS and is not flat or worse follow intel IHS shape (Intel & AMD have cap different shapes). Thats why is preferable to use Kryonaut as it doesn't matter and it would cover the gaps.

Liquid metal on CPUs is good when you delid Intel CPUs as is better than the paste, or GPUs.
And especially ryzen doesn't need it. I am on air with a D15 and the 3900X doesn't go over 71C even if ambient is 30C.

Soldato
OK. Some news about AGESA 1004, which are great for 3900Xs :D
AGESA 1004 is expected to be released to motherboard manufacturers on Monday-Tuesday so we might have it by end of the month the latest

JvN54Eg.png

Caporegime
Yes but the question is does it worth? The Ryzen CPUs aren't monolithic having a center core. There are 2-3 chips on different locations. So you have to apply a very fine layer on both sides
However to use liquid metal on CPUs you need to make sure your heatsink is truly AMD compatible following the shape of the IHS and is not flat or worse follow intel IHS shape (Intel & AMD have cap different shapes). Thats why is preferable to use Kryonaut as it doesn't matter and it would cover the gaps.

Liquid metal on CPUs is good when you delid Intel CPUs as is better than the paste, or GPUs.
And especially ryzen doesn't need it. I am on air with a D15 and the 3900X doesn't go over 71C even if ambient is 30C.

Fair enough, thanks for that. I'll order some TG Kryonaut instead. :)

Soldato
...Liquid metal on CPUs is good when you delid Intel CPUs as is better than the paste, or GPUs.
Very true. I'm using a D15s on the 3900X in a near silent system with the few fans tuned down and even after stress testing the highest it went was 72c when using -0.1v offset.

Soldato
Very true. I'm using a D15s on the 3900X in a near silent system with the few fans tuned down and even after stress testing the highest it went was 72c when using -0.1v offset.

I use the same cooler and with a 5700XT. The EK watercooling kit is still in it's box since August 7th :D
Everything is working nicely and quiet, and is the first time using air cooling the last 13 years.

Associate
A few of the cheaper end x570 boards are really bad with vrm temps. A top end x470 is good although the bios’s are not as up to date. I’m glad I didn’t spend a wad of cash on an x570 board to replace my msi x470 gaming m7.

Caporegime
OP
Agree with Ross, stay away from the cheap 570 boards, especially MSI ones.

The Aorus elite is a nice board for not too much money. If you can spend a bit more, I’d go for the Taichi or the GB pro.

I have the GB ultra and it’s been great. The first board died on a bios update, but that can happen with any board, especially new tech. The replacement has been flawless though. Great VRM temps, even at max load. I think the pro and ultra have the same VRM though, so either great. I just picked the ultra for the extra M2 slot.

Back
Top Bottom