• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Caporegime
I know we have a zen 2 owners thread and other threads, but the fact is there's so many different SKU's that i'm trawling through loads of posts, most of which I have no interest in, just to find posts about the 3900. So I thought why not have a thread specifically for the 3900X, like there is for the i9 9900K.

Happy with mine so far. I haven't overclocked or anything, just letting it do it's own thing, but it's coping admirably with everything I throw at it.

However, still cannot get full 4.6 boost on my board, which is annoying me somewhat. Has anyone managed to get full boost yet, or are we all still waiting for AMD to sort it out?

Associate
Closest I've got to full boost is 4561 on a single, otherwise all core seems to be around 4250 for me. Temp wise mine isn't to bad, low is 27c and under load I'm normally around 68c. Still on the fence over performance, not the night day difference I was expecting over my [email protected], but only running on single stick of 16GB. However these have just arrived;

sBaDPB1.jpg

Associate
Dfp0jK4
Mine can do 4.65 on occasion. Sustained multi-core loads are obviously less.

C6H x370 7106 BIOS AGESA 1002.

I'm very happy with the performance, this thing kicks some serious butt! :D

Dfp0jK4.png

Caporegime
OP
Actually, this is my sensor page on HW Info. maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a few of my cores are pushing 4.6. If so, thats me happy. Am i reading it right? Looks to me like my first chiplet is a significantly better performer than the second one.

TkJq38el.png.jpg

Associate
I'm on an older x370 motherboard and I haven't even attempted an all core overclock. PBO mode is on which gets me 7300+ on Cinebench R20. I think the fastest single core i've seen is 4.2Ghz, but i'm on AGESA 1002.but have more multi-threaded workloads i'm more interested in and it's a beast in them. Learned to stop worrying about voltages and let it do its thing. I'm not sure I can push the CPU anymore on my motherboard Ryzen master shows the EDC maxed out at 95% of 168A, not sure it's a good idea to raise those values.

Soldato
In what way? What are you having problems with?
Well as we speak I loaded up hwinfo to discover that it says engineering sample.. that is not normal? Can you confirm if that's just a bug.
The main problem is I cant seem to get the performance everyone else is getting at stock, highest score in cinebench r20 is 7000 others are getting 7500-7750.
It also all core boosts to 4.1 and single to only 4.35ghz.
I just need some advice as what to set in the bios to have it just run on its own to its best contentment

Caporegime
OP
Well as we speak I loaded up hwinfo to discover that it says engineering sample.. that is not normal? Can you confirm if that's just a bug.
The main problem is I cant seem to get the performance everyone else is getting at stock, highest score in cinebench r20 is 7000 others are getting 7500-7750.
It also all core boosts to 4.1 and single to only 4.35ghz.
I just need some advice as what to set in the bios to have it just run on its own to its best contentment
Can you post a screenie of your HW info sensor page, showing all your cores min, max and average?

Caporegime
OP
Well your cores are definitely boosting. Core 5 is the standout. The others may not be boosting as much, but I’m not sure what can be done other than bios updates, but I’m unsure about the X470 bios situation.

Hopefully someone else will come along and give more info, but to me, it looks like your CPU is running fine.

Don’t worry about the cinebench scores. I’m not hitting 7000 a lot of the time. It’s meaningless numbers in the real world, and those really high scores will have been well overclocked to around 4.3 all core. Synthetic benchmarks are the devils work.

Associate
I've seen the engineering sample thing discussed on reddit... Believed to be a bug in hwinfo so I'd just ignore it for now.

Associate
1.0.0.2 was boosting mine to 4650 single, 1.0.0.3AB (and probably -ABB as per asus) are boosting 4575 max. Also slower cores boost at lower speeds. If the slowest core had 4375, now only to 4300. Not a big problem for me, just a note :rolleyes:

Associate
Do you use ryzen master as it has three limits that you can see if they are maxed or not when it's benching using cpu z or whatever.
I was hitting 100% on 2 of those 3,one was power to cpu socket the other peak amps or something.

Can you raise those limits and leave PBO on? Or is it better to just go for an all core overclock?

Back
Top Bottom