• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
...I'm an avid OC'er, have been for many years, but even I don't see the point in OC'ing Zen 2 or 3, if I'm honest.
I agree with this. Even at stock my 3900X did 4275Mhz all core when fully loaded. Unless your only workloads are fully multithreaded programs and able to use all cores at the same time, I wouldn't bother with an all core overclock, especially ~4.3Ghz. If you can get 4.4+Ghz at reasonable volts then that might prove more beneficial.

Associate
My first ever amd build after nearly 20 years with Intel!
Just put in a -0.1v offset and turned on xmp/ocp profile and pbo.
Cinebench score is 7004.
Getting max temp of 75 whilst gaming with noctua nh-u12a and boosts of up to 4.5ghz.
Voltage does spike to 1.49/5.0 volts of its own accord.
Again I've read in forums its current that kills cpu so not overly concerned and again I'm sure its applying that voltage in accordance to operating specifications.
Memory is set at 3200mhz. Infinity fabric is 1600mhz in sync with memory?
Anything else I could change?
Thanks
Update:
Had a cold boot failure this morn. Pressed power button and pc switched on then off moments later. Pressed power button again and booted up fine.
Put offset to -0.625v and cinebench score improved to 7200.

Last edited:
Associate
My first ever amd build after nearly 20 years with Intel!
Just put in a -0.1v offset and turned on xmp/ocp profile and pbo.
Cinebench score is 7004.
Getting max temp of 75 whilst gaming with noctua nh-u12a and boosts of up to 4.5ghz.
Voltage does spike to 1.49/5.0 volts of its own accord.
Again I've read in forums its current that kills cpu so not overly concerned and again I'm sure its applying that voltage in accordance to operating specifications.
Memory is set at 3200mhz. Infinity fabric is 1600mhz in sync with memory?
Anything else I could change?
Thanks
Update:
Had a cold boot failure this morn. Pressed power button and pc switched on then off moments later. Pressed power button again and booted up fine.
Put offset to -0.625v and cinebench score improved to 7200.

Scores seem about on the money and every chip and board are different in terms of how they are best configured. When I had my 3900x, on this Taichi motherboard the best results for performance and thermals were to run a fixed voltage, so I settled with 1.2875 which iirc gave me around 7600-7700 CB20 scores (score in the CB20 thread somewhere) and temps of up to 67 degrees under full stress. Your scores are great on air, I think I got similar on my D14.

Caporegime
Currently seeing 4.4 on all cores at 1.25v.

I haven't run into any issues yet and will try getting the VID lower a bit later on.

Edit: looks like 4.4 @ 1.25 for even desktop use is a tad too low.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got around to RMAing my 3900X and got the replacement, wow this thing is a beast. It's a good boost in games compared to my previous 1600X but I mainly got this for video editing, rendering with Davinci Resolve pretty much flies now. Seeing sustained all core clocks at around 4.2GHz odd so don't really feel the need to overclock.

One thing I noticed was temps, on the first day it was idling in high 40s and peaked to 85c with IBT and Prime95, but couple of days after idle temps are now low 40s with temps peaking to 70c (using Corsair 100i). Guess it took a while for the old kryonaut to cure.

It still feels weird seeing 24 threads in task manager...

Last edited:
Associate
Good to hear your 3900x replacement is performing well and proving to be very capable!
I'm hoping I'm future proof for the next five years as more games are able to utilise more cores.
I used good old mx-4 as my kryonaught grizzly had run out.

Caporegime
I've forgotten how to set the memory clock and fabric clock.

I understand the sweet spot is a 1:1 ratio of 3733?

Can someone please remind me how to go about setting that up? Cheers.

Caporegime
I switched the power plan and silly me, I can't recall for certain what one I was on before.

Is it still best to choose the '1usmus Ryzen Universal' plan? Also, do you need to restart your machine for it to take effect?

AxS72Mt.png

Back
Top Bottom