The Expanse

Soldato
Known a few people like that, including myself. Put me with someone who has a strong Scots accent and you'll hear the change happen live!
There are several causes, syndromes, disorders and perfectly normal reasons behind it, and it's far more common that you'd expect. Musicians and actors do it a lot.

What I love about the Belter actors is that many of them have their own slant on it, like a cultural marker of mixed heritage.

Main thing that bugs me is the belters have their weird accent, variations of which I'm pretty sure are just down to how badly the actors mangle it :p, but the Martians don't have any distinctive accent compared to Earthers. Would have been nice to see a bit of physiological differences, but I guess budget constraints make that difficult, although they did touch on the subject in S1.

Commissario
Known a few people like that, including myself. Put me with someone who has a strong Scots accent and you'll hear the change happen live!
There are several causes, syndromes, disorders and perfectly normal reasons behind it, and it's far more common that you'd expect. Musicians and actors do it a lot.

What I love about the Belter actors is that many of them have their own slant on it, like a cultural marker of mixed heritage.
My dad is a good example of that, he came from Newcastle (moving near London when in his teens), he worked hard to "lose" the accent because at the time it affected your ability to get certain jobs.

When he's around people from newcastle, even now 50+ years later his accent comes back although never as strongly as his sister's (we joke about the way she used to ask if we wanted a corky koala, as that utterly confused me and my brother the first time we heard it).

Nagato is basically the extreme example of this, as she's meant to be extremely smart and dedicated but made some mistakes when young and put that intelligence and dedication to changing herself.
leading to the murders of innocent people when someone she loved betrayed her and used her work in a way she didn't expect, so she spent the next however many years trying to put as much distance between her old live, and her new, which involved basically learning to fit in with an earth crew to the point her belter origins could pretty much be forgotten by others on a day to day basis.

Main thing that bugs me is the belters have their weird accent, variations of which I'm pretty sure are just down to how badly the actors mangle it :p, but the Martians don't have any distinctive accent compared to Earthers. Would have been nice to see a bit of physiological differences, but I guess budget constraints make that difficult, although they did touch on the subject in S1.
From memory the Martians are meant to be basically be the "richer" Earthers who wanted a new life and had the money to/skills to start the Martian terraforming project, so most of their original population would have been highly educated/highly skilled where having a strong accent would have been a bit of a drawback.

The belters are basically from the workers, the ships crews and miners who were not as well formally educated, didn't go to the good universities back on earth and they've deliberately cultivated the differences in their speech partly to show that they aren't like the "inner system people", partly because it means their casual conversation is harder for someone unfamiliar with them to understand.
Their speech is sort of a combination of the pigeon english/patois you get from smaller isolated populations or areas where it's evolved ad a common bastardised language that people from multiple backgrounds can pick up fast in a working environment (think the below decks crew of a lot of ships), and partly defensive so they can reduce the chances of their plans and ideas being picked up on by someone overhearing them by chance, have a look at how speech patterns in ghetto areas, and in persecuted groups evolved as many of them developed conversational codes that meant little or nothing if you didn't understand the background (classic example include the slang the came up in American inner cities and the likes of the LBGT communities - a great example being "friends of Dorothy").
IIRC the specific slang and language use in areas as small as Harlem in the US have resulted in some interesting studies about how language can evolve in a very short space of time.

Soldato
Also belter patois also has a lot of non-verbal gestures from all the space-suit work.

It's a really well thought out, grounded and believable world, it's not a clean utopia like Star Trek or as fantastical as Star wars.

Soldato
Also belter patois also has a lot of non-verbal gestures from all the space-suit work.

It's a really well thought out, grounded and believable world, it's not a clean utopia like Star Trek or as fantastical as Star wars.

So that's why the prostitute is teaching the cop the motion and language to calm Belters.
I'm find out more and more that makes me like this show, why it got cancelled I can't work out.

Caporegime
So that's why the prostitute is teaching the cop the motion and language to calm Belters.
I'm find out more and more that makes me like this show, why it got cancelled I can't work out.

SyFy, like fools, didn't negotiate any rerun or streaming rights and only had the rights in the US as well. The rights in the UK didn't even get signed up for months after it started. So SyFy didn't get any benefit from VoD watching or streaming and it's quite an expensive show to make as well with a lot of sets needed.

Soldato
It's a really well thought out, grounded and believable world.

I'd say when you really get down to it, I think that's why it has been so successful. Yes it has great storytelling, interesting characters, superb effects, etc, etc...but ultimately, you can believe the story unfolding and the world that's been built on your screen.

You mentioned Star Trek...i think without the ST tag, Discovery would never have got past a single series. However because Trek has got such a history, despite being objectively bad (season 1 at least) it will always do well and people will forgive so much.

Soldato
Yea, the "realism" (of a futuristic science fiction story :p) is the main bit for me, though I do pick up on quite a few cop outs/silly things, I'll forgive it for them!

What I want to know though, is there some reason that every time a caption comes up "Tyco Station" "The Ring created 187 days ago" "U.N.N Whatever" then a few seconds later a line or two disappears out of some of the letters, why is this!? :confused::D

Associate
Watched the 1st episode a few years back and never bothered after that , had last week off work so was scrolling through prime and it was either this or Preacher.
Anyway ended up watching all 3 seasons over the week , thoroughly enjoyed it .
Last few episodes got a bit wierd .
Effects where very good and the acting not too shabby , cant wait till the end of the year for season 4.

Soldato
I’m on episode 5 of series 3. Really enjoying this, the plot is so much more incremental and character driven than so much villain of the week drivel. I haven’t read the books but I understand they’ve changed the pacing a bit but it feels really good and comes across as pretty mature if fairly linear storytelling.

Amazon are just knocking it out of the park at the moment (yes I know they’re only doing series 4 onwards). But all their other stuff is great too.

Soldato
I'm on episode 8 of season 3 and feel like I must have missed an episode or something.
Where the hell has this giant ring come from and why does everyone and their mother want to fly through it / claim it? Thoroughly confused!

Soldato
I'm on episode 8 of season 3 and feel like I must have missed an episode or something.
Where the hell has this giant ring come from and why does everyone and their mother want to fly through it / claim it? Thoroughly confused!

The giant ring is formed from what emerged from Venus, some time after it was hit by the protomolecule infected Eros asteroid in season 2.

I assume everyone wants to head into the ring because Holden is wanted and that's where the Rocinate goes.

Back
Top Bottom