BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Someone(Citroen AX) pulled out without consideration from a side junction today (50mph A10 section) so I had to swerve a bit across the damp road ....
- if you have assisted emergency braking do you run the risk that this intervenes and potentially causes a collision because your, better, choice of steering evasion might be impeded. - how does that pan out ?

Associate
I've had my E90 335i for some time now and I'm starting to get the new car itch... I'm looking to get into another, preferably newer petrol BMW with a warranty.

Am I an absolute madman (think I already know the answer) for considering this? I've been lusting after a V8 for a while, but not sure I can stretch to M5 territory at the moment. Options aside the price seems mad for an 8-year old 5 series, are these really that rare? Looks like it's been on for a while so would hope there's plenty of wriggle room but still...

Someone, please talk me to my senses.

Soldato
My E92 M3 span a main and took the block out with it. Gotta love the odd £9k+ bill!

And yes, I had done the rod bearings - 6 months ago :(

Did you get a warranty with the rod bearing work?!? Edit: NVM - Saw that it was the main bearing that spun. Bugger!

I collected my M135i on Tuesday. First BMW and enjoying it so far. E92 M3 was on my list of potentials, but the rod bearings did put me off somewhat amongst other things.

Quite the change from a Megane 275. Softer/adjustable damping, ZF box, Harmon Kardon and a better built interior are all a joy on my busy commute!

Associate
Greetings. My Alfa Romeo Giulia (lease) goes back in February and I'm looking into potential replacements. A quadrifoglio would be the easiest upgrade choice if 1) I wasn't annoyed with my 2 nearest Alfa dealers and not sure I would tolerate the mishaps/crap service when actually owning a £45k+ car 2) bored of the sameish interior.

Im looking into the M6 gran coupe as a potential replacement, trying to work with a budget between 35-40k. Anyone here have any experience on owning one?

Associate
Im looking into the M6 gran coupe as a potential replacement, trying to work with a budget between 35-40k. Anyone here have any experience on owning one?

Similar. I have an M5 Competition Package. The M6GC is a little heavier and you lose the sunroof. All GCs have split-fold rear seats and (I think) LED headlights. Underneath it is pretty much the same car.

Running costs over 17000 miles have been quite low so far: Insurance under £500, haven't had to buy any tyres (bought some winter wheels/tyres off a mate for £900 hence 4 months a year on those). Servicing is free as I have the service package. A seal went on the rear diff but that was covered by the initial 3 year warranty. Extended the BMW warranty recently, £763 for a year.

I might need to sell it shortly. May not be of interest but I thought I'd mention it. Would be putting it up at £30-32ish depending on the market at the time (66 plate, 36k miles).

Last edited:
Associate
I assume that that wasn't the comprehensive level of cover? I paid £592 for the warranty (and emergency assistance) on a Mini Cooper S :eek:
It *is* indeed the comprehensive level of cover, but without Emergency Assistance. You still get a level of EA cover even if you don't opt for it, just no home start kind of thing.

The rates are lower if you go straight from the OEM warranty without any lapse. My previous, 335i, was about £52/month for the same cover (with a lapse), plus £37 for a year of Green Flag.

I wouldn't be without it. A new S63B engine is in the region of £25-30k!

Soldato
That's insane. I honestly don't know how they justify the warranty prices for the Minis. I'm sure I'll be moaning again about it come renewal time next year if I haven't found a replacement for it by then.

Man of Honour
That's insane. I honestly don't know how they justify the warranty prices for the Minis. I'm sure I'll be moaning again about it come renewal time next year if I haven't found a replacement for it by then.

The regular Cooper is half the price. It influenced my decision not to order a Cooper S, I don't like non-warrantied cars and the pricing would have just annoyed me. It's very frustrating.

Especially the 120i is essentially the same thing and is half the price..

Soldato
The regular Cooper is half the price. It influenced my decision not to order a Cooper S, I don't like non-warrantied cars and the pricing would have just annoyed me. It's very frustrating.

Especially the 120i is essentially the same thing and is half the price..

Yeah I know. The pricing is really punitive for no reason at all. I haven't checked how much the warranty is for a JCW model, but the whole thing puts me off the idea of owning something like the facelifted Clubman JCW which is a shame because they are very, very good cars.

Man of Honour
There is nothing particularly special about the JCW though so its hard to argue thats a rationally priced policy either.

The best deal is people who have something like a 650i - which has the same warranty price as a 520d manual - or a 440i Convertible, which is priced like a 318i and cheaper than a 520i...

Meanwhile you just don't even want to know what it costs for a 730d. Which is mechanically no different to a 530d. Or a 330d really.

Soldato
I think the increased warranty cost of the Cooper S and JCW come from the previous generation where the 1.6T had a few common issues where the NA version in comparison was more robust.

In the current generation where all the engines are now turbocharged I would be surprised if the repair costs are different across the range.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Anyone with a M240i in their early 20's? Being 22 with a clean licence for over 4 years and 2 years NCB. I can't get a quote lower than £3.8K... on the other hand insurance for a Black Rdition GTR R35 is £980 or £550 for an S15 Spec R (mods declared).

I'm not expecting it to be lower than a grand, but 3.8k seems steep. After test driving a M240i, it seems to tick all the boxes... Perhaps anyone knows any insurers that specialize in 'performance' cars?

Associate
Similar. I have an M5 Competition Package. The M6GC is a little heavier and you lose the sunroof. All GCs have split-fold rear seats and (I think) LED headlights. Underneath it is pretty much the same car.

Running costs over 17000 miles have been quite low so far: Insurance under £500, haven't had to buy any tyres (bought some winter wheels/tyres off a mate for £900 hence 4 months a year on those). Servicing is free as I have the service package. A seal went on the rear diff but that was covered by the initial 3 year warranty. Extended the BMW warranty recently, £763 for a year.

I might need to sell it shortly. May not be of interest but I thought I'd mention it. Would be putting it up at £30-32ish depending on the market at the time (66 plate, 36k miles).

Thanks for the info. I havent test driven a M5 yet although it was on my list, although I do like how the M6 looks. The M5 design to me just looks like another 5 series but I must say they are decent value used.

Associate
Thanks for the info. I havent test driven a M5 yet although it was on my list, although I do like how the M6 looks. The M5 design to me just looks like another 5 series but I must say they are decent value used.

That’s why I bought one. 3 year old 600hp supersaloon with a year’s manufacturer warranty for 30k. I don’t think anything else competes!

I prefer the F10 as it blends into the background a little more than the GC.

Soldato
Anyone with a M240i in their early 20's? Being 22 with a clean licence for over 4 years and 2 years NCB. I can't get a quote lower than £3.8K... on the other hand insurance for a Black Rdition GTR R35 is £980 or £550 for an S15 Spec R (mods declared).

I'm not expecting it to be lower than a grand, but 3.8k seems steep. After test driving a M240i, it seems to tick all the boxes... Perhaps anyone knows any insurers that specialize in 'performance' cars?
Clearly you're better off going for the GTR then:p.

Back
Top Bottom