• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Exclusive: AMD’s Ryzen 9 3950X Cinebench, No-OC Score – Achieves A 32% Performance Increase Over 1950X
https://wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-9-3...chieves-a-32-performance-increase-over-1950x/

AMD-Ryzen-9-Performance-Benchmarks-1480x923.jpg

AMD-Ryzen-9-3950-X-CPU-Performance-Per-Dollar-1480x923.jpg
Looks good considering it’s RRP is only £150 more than the current going rate of the 3900X!

3900X beats the 1950X too though by 500 or so points.

Permabanned
Yep. Will eventually be upgrading my 3600 to a 4950X in 3-4 years time once people are bored of it and selling it half price on members market :D

The 4950X should offer very nice single thread performance.

Why are you with a 3600 in the first place?! Just buy the 3900X and spend these 3-4 years just using it, instead of waiting for ever...
During the 3-4 years, it will definitely pay back.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why are you with a 3600 in the first place?! Just buy the 3900X and spend these 3-4 years just using it, instead of waiting for ever...
During the 3-4 years, it will definitely pay back.
It would not pay back as I have zero use for all the extra cores.

I game at 4K60fps and I did not even need to upgrade to a 3600 from my 4770K (4.7GHz) but fancied something new and two extra cores is always nice :D

If in 4 years time I can pick up a 4950X or 4900X at half price or less then it will be a nice upgrade to this and will go on and last a decade after that would be my guess.

It tall depends. My plan right now is to buy a AM5 board and the 5000 series CPU when it comes out in about 2 years time, then shift this cpu, mobo and ram to my partners PC. But if when the 5000 series comes out it is not a decent leap above the 4000 series then I may not bother with the 5000 series and just upgrade to a 4950X at some point when it is half price.

Hard to tell really. All depends what my needs will be in a couple of years time. But for now the 3600 is more than enough for me. I can easily do 4.4GHz on all cores so I am not even a million miles away from those with 3900X right now as all the extra cores would sit there doing nothing.

Oh and I have always liked to get as good price for performance as I can when building my PC that meets my needs. So why waste money on a 3950X now and watch it depreciate doing nothing?

Associate
Are AMD just releasing beta BIOSs? Are they planning to release a final/non-beta BIOS? Coz atm they can claim all kinds of stuff by just saying 'well its still beta' when we moan about issues/stability etc.

Soldato
Are AMD just releasing beta BIOSs? Are they planning to release a final/non-beta BIOS? Coz atm they can claim all kinds of stuff by just saying 'well its still beta' when we moan about issues/stability etc.

AMD write the AGESA part of the BIOS and I don't think they officially call their BIOS's beta or any are listed as such are they? But it has been the AGESA code in the last few BIOS's released by board vendors which have been a significant part of updates to get the chips to boost properly and monitoring issues within the BIOS which comes from AMD. Any new tech will go through firmware updates in the beginning and it's the early adopters bain. Updates also included increases in RAM compatibility. You have to be atrue enthusiast to get new tech on release these days and expect some fettling. If you want stuff to just plug in and work then you need to look at tech thats been out for a while. Like 14nm intel.:eek:

AGESA 1.0.0.4 which is due for release soon could be regarded as less of a beta as it also has new functionalities built in, so you could say this is the first decent BIOS as it now could be a fully functional one. Just hope by adding and tweaking one thing it doesn't bork something that worked previously.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
AMD write the AGESA part of the BIOS and I don't think they officially call their BIOS's beta or any are listed as such are they? But it has been the AGESA code in the last few BIOS's released by board vendors which have been a significant part of updates to get the chips to boost properly and monitoring issues within the BIOS which comes from AMD. Any new tech will go through firmware updates in the beginning and it's the early adopters bain. Updates also included increases in RAM compatibility. You have to be atrue enthusiast to get new tech on release these days and expect some fettling. If you want stuff to just plug in and work then you need to look at tech thats been out for a while. Like 14nm intel.:eek:

AGESA 1.0.0.4 which is due for release soon could be regarded as less of a beta as it also has new functionalities built in, so you could say this is the first decent BIOS as it now could be a fully functional one. Just hope by adding and tweaking one thing it doesn't bork something that worked previously.
Nice sig mate :D

Thoughts @4K8KW10 ? :p

Associate
ok so AMD aren't releasing beta anything, but motherboard makers are still classing all the new BIOS as beta (to my knowledge). I'm deciding if its time to upgrade soon, I don't want any issues :)

TrM

TrM

Associate
ok so AMD aren't releasing beta anything, but motherboard makers are still classing all the new BIOS as beta (to my knowledge). I'm deciding if its time to upgrade soon, I don't want any issues :)

If I’m honest even though there has been a lot bios fixes and beta bios coming out from motherboard manufacturers the X570/ryzen 3000 combo has been stable and reliable. It’s only when u want the max out of cpu or mobo or ram the platform shows its issues.

the out of the box experiance for most people has been good it’s just when we want to maximise the hardware the issues show.

for any normal user I doubt they would notice any problems on ryzen 3000/X570

Soldato
The leaked figures indicate a marginal improvement over the previous generation threadripper. That's not good. I wonder if heat is an issue and the large size of the Threadripper package would significantly improve cooling and thus performance? The 16 core Threadripper is likely to be not that much more expensive, so seeing its performance results is going to be very interesting indeed.

Soldato

I have ASRock MOBO and most of the BIOS's are not beta. There is a separate area for beta ones on their site under X570 boards. Maybe older chipsets are beta's. Here is the ASRock Taichi page.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

Soldato
If I’m honest even though there has been a lot bios fixes and beta bios coming out from motherboard manufacturers the X570/ryzen 3000 combo has been stable and reliable. It’s only when u want the max out of cpu or mobo or ram the platform shows its issues.

the out of the box experiance for most people has been good it’s just when we want to maximise the hardware the issues show.

for any normal user I doubt they would notice any problems on ryzen 3000/X570

I have tried a few different BIOS versions with my MSI board. Were it not for benchmarking/monitoring software I wouldn't have noticed any difference between them.

Everything has worked well from day one.

3800X/X570 Carbon

Soldato
Just spent a lot of time identifying why the latest chipset package caused a regression in performance for my 3800X. The new PCI device driver (1.0.0.74) and the new GPIO driver both cause my time spy CPU score to go down.

TL;DR: New power plan and SMBus driver = better time spy score. New PCI and GPIO drivers = lower time spy score.

I know these chips are temperature sensitive, so I made sure to restart after each driver install and wait for my AIO water temps to settle before testing each time. (22C was the settle point)

Before the latest power plan and SMBus driver, my time spy score was11,1xx usually over 11,150 and under 11,180
The new power plan and SMBus driver got me up over 11,2xx with 11,234 being the highest CPU score of the 3 runs.
The new PCI driver kept the score under 11,000 (around 10,7xx)
The new GPIO driver wasn't as bad, but still couldn't break 11,100 (11,04x and 11,05x IIRC)

Associate

No issues on my 2 Ryzen rigs. I copied the Win10 OS drive of my B350F and plugged it in my X470 Pro. Put in a new key of Win10 Pro and it works. Both Asus and latest BIOSES.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No issues on my 2 Ryzen rigs. I copied the Win10 OS drive of my B350F and plugged it in my X470 Pro. Put in a new key of Win10 Pro and it works. Both Asus and latest BIOSES.
No clean install of windows? I always do that, even when changing from nvidia to amd graphics cards. Probably why I hardly ever have issues and a lot of people whine about drivers or some issue or the other :p

Back
Top Bottom