BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Nah I was comparing the 20i I test drove to the 23i I owned to see if it was worth 'upgrading' but wasn't impressed overall. Sorry probably my dodgy phrasing.

Man of Honour
Then the car would just be additional deposit. Whether you lose its value depends on the depreciation the new car suffers?

Not sure why you'd PCP in this situation.

Soldato
Ah OK, no problem. I'll look into hire purchase. Is it arranged soley through BMW or are there other options? Just looking for the best deal.

I understand then the loss of the value now. I'll own the car at the end of the agreement so it's whatever the value of the car is at that time, yes?

Associate
The new Z4 imo is a huge improvement on the interior but a downgrade in every other department. I test drove a 20i and compared to my e89 23i it was far less exciting. Might explain why the sales figures on them are so poor. Also, no 6 cylinder and artificial sound pumped into the cabin is a massive put off.

Summarises my thoughts well. I am still annoyed however with the less than ideal position of the cup holders!

Another observation is that the doors seem higher, as with the window down I can no longer comfortably position my arm on the edge. :p

With regards to the 6-cylinder one; yes it might resolve a lot of the issues with the one I'm driving now, but even if the vehicle dynamics are perfect, I'm not convinced on the looks either; too clunky, as opposed to the slick E89.

Soldato
Hi guys,

A friend of mine has bought a rather ropey old E46 330i convertible as a bit of a plaything. He's under no illusion that it's not a bit of a shed, and he wants me to help him work on it including having a look at a few issues it has (mainly issues that I identified when I had a quick go in it after he bought it):

1. It's an auto, and it feels thoroughly kaput. When you put it in drive and come off the pedal / get on the throttle, there's a short delay and then take-up occurs in a way which could be described as violent. It then slushes and slips/jolts its way through the gears, occasionally going in to limp-home mode / getting stuck in a higher gear with a cog icon on the dashboard, necessitating a "reboot" (engine off and back on). Will a fluid and filter change likely sort this to some degree, or is it knackered?

2. Power delivery is buttery smooth, but it doesn't feel like it has 230bhp (when the gearbox is behaving itself, I mean :D ) - VANOS?

3. PAS appears to be non-existent - wheel is very hard to turn when maneuvering at low speeds - not quite as hard as a car with PAS that you're trying to move without the engine running, but not far off. PAS pump dead? I didn't check the fluid levels.

Alarm bells did ring when he told me he paid a grand for it :D

Caporegime
Hi guys,

A friend of mine has bought a rather ropey old E46 330i convertible as a bit of a plaything. He's under no illusion that it's not a bit of a shed, and he wants me to help him work on it including having a look at a few issues it has (mainly issues that I identified when I had a quick go in it after he bought it):

1. It's an auto, and it feels thoroughly kaput. When you put it in drive and come off the pedal / get on the throttle, there's a short delay and then take-up occurs in a way which could be described as violent. It then slushes and slips/jolts its way through the gears, occasionally going in to limp-home mode / getting stuck in a higher gear with a cog icon on the dashboard, necessitating a "reboot" (engine off and back on). Will a fluid and filter change likely sort this to some degree, or is it knackered?

2. Power delivery is buttery smooth, but it doesn't feel like it has 230bhp (when the gearbox is behaving itself, I mean :D ) - VANOS?

3. PAS appears to be non-existent - wheel is very hard to turn when maneuvering at low speeds - not quite as hard as a car with PAS that you're trying to move without the engine running, but not far off. PAS pump dead? I didn't check the fluid levels.

Alarm bells did ring when he told me he paid a grand for it :D
1, a fluid and filter change - done properly - will have one of two effects, it’ll either transform it (pardon the pun) or kill it off completely!

2, Like my 530i was, changed the MAF, egr valve and breather pipes etc, made no difference, not long afterwards the performance came back in spades albeit briefly - the head gasket failed - I’d get that checked before doing anything else to the engine after my experiences , I had a similar thing years back with a different car, low power but smooth followed by head gasket failing.

3, first check the fluid but if there was none the pump would be howling like a banshee if it’s working properly...

I’d tell your mate to name the car Jif. ;)

Soldato
I've just topped up the oil in my e92 m3. How longs reasonable for the car to realise its been done? I put in about 4-500 ml last Thursday and it still said top me up so I finished the rest of the litre tonight. I'd have thought a few days would be enough, or did it literally mean add 1 litre? I was trying to be cautious to start with as I'm not a fan of electronic dipsticks.

Soldato
I checked this morning, its reading full, but not overfull. It did say ask 1 litre to start with, but i'd heard many horror stories about overfilling. Looks like thats exactly how much it needed though:p.

Soldato
I've just topped up the oil in my e92 m3. How longs reasonable for the car to realise its been done? I put in about 4-500 ml last Thursday and it still said top me up so I finished the rest of the litre tonight. I'd have thought a few days would be enough, or did it literally mean add 1 litre? I was trying to be cautious to start with as I'm not a fan of electronic dipsticks.

Your post is quite bizarre in timing as my E92 needed a litre of oil over the weekend and I had the exact reservations. I was looking for the dipstick for a good five minutes before I gave up and googled where the hell it was located.. and yeah, it's not there. On the upside I didn't realise you could check all of the service requirements and other such items on a car without iDrive, so I learned something about the car.

However, I did the full 1l it asked for in the end... probably not particularly prudent.

Associate
I have a 2010 Z4 35iS, does the new Z4 now handle way way better because it weighs so much less?

No it does not. Granted it is the low spec 20i model so the 40i model which is the equivalent of the 35is and will have M Sport suspension might be better. On the weight, it's only 10kg lighter (based on parkers.co.uk).

Associate
A 0% credit card if your credit rating is excellent.

This is the approach I took, partially. About a third of the price was HP from BMW at 3.9%, remainder across two 0% cards. Obviously you need to pay it off before the interest-free period ends.

Total cost of credit over three years £770.

Man of Honour
Good luck finding a dealer that will let you put a car on a credit card. Even debit getting is getting difficult these days. Very annoying.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Good luck finding a dealer that will let you put a car on a credit card. Even debit getting is getting difficult these days. Very annoying.
This. Although with credit card fees of up to a couple percent, you can see why. Buying a £20,000 car on a credit card will mean a fee of up to a grand!

Back
Top Bottom