BMW and M Power Owners

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Due to cluster **** that is the Belgian tax system, I was considering everything from a CLA Shooting Brake to a 420d to an Up! GTI and everything in between.
Based on extensive research (two hours of Google and YouTube), I went out and bought this.

2016 i3 60Ah. Mileage a bit on the high side at 45,000 but 1 owner, fully loaded and 4 years of full BMW Warranty & breakdown cover. Oh, and €0 tax.

Crappy dealer pics for now; will pick it up in a few weeks.

kjn7YaV.png

XDcXDWo.png

TqfG0YR.png

Hopefully range anxiety will be kept to a minimum with an 11-mile commute.

Soldato
Yup. Current owner has it up for sale for more than I paid for the i3!

Drive one. Deceptively quickly!
until you get to 30:p. They're pretty rare round here, ironically there's more tesla's than i3s here. I'm sure I read an i3 was faster to 30 than an m5 (although I suspect that's pre 4wd m5).

Soldato
Be interested to know how you get on with the I3, we have been looking at one as a second car to replace the fiesta but I think it might just be a bit too small in the rear seats / boot to make sense whilst our youngest is in a rear facing seat

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Be interested to know how you get on with the I3, we have been looking at one as a second car to replace the fiesta but I think it might just be a bit too small in the rear seats / boot to make sense whilst our youngest is in a rear facing seat
99% of the time it's just me in the car, so whether my kids have enough space is irrelevant thankfully.
I'll stick in our Concord Reverso Plus and compare it to the Golf. Is your rear-facing a Group 0 or a Group 1?

Boot is tiny, but apparently it's 260. Looks smaller tbh, but the Golf is 380 with the floor dropped.

Soldato
Will be a group 1 by the time we get round to changing the car but it's a maxi Cosi pearl so not one of the biggest, if yours comes even close to fitting with space for a passenger to be in the front it's probably fine.

Yeah I've seen the boot in person so have a good feel for that, whilst it's small i thought it was quite a good depth. Fiesta is 300 apparently but I can't say it seems any bigger in person

Associate
Due to cluster **** that is the Belgian tax system, I was considering everything from a CLA Shooting Brake to a 420d to an Up! GTI and everything in between.
Based on extensive research (two hours of Google and YouTube), I went out and bought this.

2016 i3 60Ah. Mileage a bit on the high side at 45,000 but 1 owner, fully loaded and 4 years of full BMW Warranty & breakdown cover. Oh, and €0 tax.

This raises an interesting point

"Mileage a bit on the high side"

But there is no engine to wear out (assuming you haven't got the REx model). So, aside from the wear and tear on bushes, suspension components, etc, how is mileage going to be a particular issue on plug-ins? It'll be interesting to see how things pan out as more and more EVs appear on the roads and third-party battery re-conditioning firms start popping up in the marketplace. How cheaply can a battery be reconditioned? I guess we will see, but it might be a lot less than rebuilding an ICE.

Soldato
99% of the time it's just me in the car, so whether my kids have enough space is irrelevant thankfully
nice choice .. several around cambridge racing from light to light on the A10 roundabouts .. cream interior um ... but probably helps with internal light with modern pillar sizes.

how much would a warranty for these be ?

BMW CEO Confirms i3 Production Will Continue, With Larger Battery On The Way
I see them a bit of a spiritual successor to the Audi a2 - cute, well designed practical/economic town car.

edit :
But there is no engine to wear out
heat degrading the motor windings ? I assume it's not air cooling, but have never seen how the fluid is channeled

Soldato
Does anyone know about BMW financing? Or a 3rd party financing firm?

Probably going to sound a bit of a noob but here goes...

Had a look at a mates M340i yesterday and really interested in getting one. I know the touring orders have only just begun so not sure whether to wait for them to appear on AUC or get a saloon as they are on AUC now.

Would it be possible to use my car (2017 F31 WBAC says £19K) finance some of the balance over 3 years then hand back or pay the balance? Would I lose all the equity I have in my car now? I don't want to lose the equity, pay for 3 years then come away empty handed afterwards.

Soldato
Does anyone know about BMW financing? Or a 3rd party financing firm?

Probably going to sound a bit of a noob but here goes...

Had a look at a mates M340i yesterday and really interested in getting one. I know the touring orders have only just begun so not sure whether to wait for them to appear on AUC or get a saloon as they are on AUC now.

Would it be possible to use my car (2017 F31 WBAC says £19K) finance some of the balance over 3 years then hand back or pay the balance? Would I lose all the equity I have in my car now? I don't want to lose the equity, pay for 3 years then come away empty handed afterwards.

Is your current car financed? If so call them up and see if you are eligible for a change.

Associate
Took my Z4 for 2 weeks for them to try and replicate the error.

Got another Z4 (2019 model) as a courtesy car so below are my thoughts on it so far:

Overall the car feels more like a cruiser than a sports car.

The positives:

More refined and comfortable. Although it is a poverty spec, the seats are more comfortable than in mine, and there's less road noise intrusion.

Better infotainment. The new idrive is really good and is quicker to interface with my mobile.

Lane keep assist. Although not really much use in this car, I quite like it as I usually do long drives for work and can see the value added in having it.

LED lights are fantastic during the nighttime!

The negatives:

Slow. Okay, it's the 2.0 engine outputting <200bhp, but the gearbox is also not stellar for quick driving with the changes not feeling as punchy as with the DCT.

Engine noise is horrible. Sounds very artificial.

With the roof-down there's more noise into the cabin compared to the E89. Suspect that's due to the shape of the windows.

Visibility is a bit worse. As it only has 2 windows which are quite short, you cannot check your blind spot.

Do not like the steering wheel cruise control buttons. Much prefer a separate stick.

It doesn't feel as focused as the E89. It feels late to react and has less feedback.

So far, BMW have sent my a health check. They've suggested I change my tyre because it's down to 5mm, which I've told them no thanks. They've also found a slight oil leak around the gearbox housing and rust on the front disks. They've suggested I change the disks, however since the car was sat with them for 5 days outside and unused, I think that's just a result of that and will keep an eye out to ensure it goes away. Still no news on what could be causing the constant cranking/late starting, so waiting on that.

Soldato
The new Z4 imo is a huge improvement on the interior but a downgrade in every other department. I test drove a 20i and compared to my e89 23i it was far less exciting. Might explain why the sales figures on them are so poor. Also, no 6 cylinder and artificial sound pumped into the cabin is a massive put off.

Back
Top Bottom