• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

Permabanned
Man of Honour
If the averages are unchanged, why does the nvidia driver default to the limited?

It doesn't - certain displays which includes a lot of monitors are seen by the drivers as being under the HDTV profile and limited RGB applied - not sure if this is a mistake on nVidia's part they are reluctant to fix, some kind of compatibility thing where they've decided to take a different approach to AMD or a failing on the monitor/TV manufacturers side in not properly doing display identification or a mixture of reasons - it certainly isn't for performance reasons.

Permabanned
It doesn't - certain displays which includes a lot of monitors are seen by the drivers as being under the HDTV profile and limited RGB applied - not sure if this is a mistake on nVidia's part they are reluctant to fix, some kind of compatibility thing where they've decided to take a different approach to AMD or a failing on the monitor/TV manufacturers side in not properly doing display identification or a mixture of reasons - it certainly isn't for performance reasons.

I certainly don't see the nvidia's logic. Monitors work with Colour Depths - 12bpc, 10bpc, 8bpc, 6bpc.
nvidia limits those depths even more so by limiting them to the 16-235 range of the depth.

"On a computer monitor you use the opposite approach. RGB Full will display video games and other 0-255 content at the correct 0-255 range. TV, Movies and other video range content expands to use the full 0-255 range of a computer display. If you use RGB limited instead, shadows will be gray instead of black and highlights will be dull. You will not take full advantage of the dynamic range of the PC monitor and content will have a washed-out look. The image below is the opposite of that above where now we are missing highlights, they are slightly gray instead of white, while blacks are a dark gray and not black."

https://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

Soldato
If the averages are unchanged, why does the nvidia driver default to the limited?

* only on a portion of displays and only over hdmi. You try and make it sound like it's a blanket setting for everything - it is not. You do realise rgb limited is not just an nvidia thing, right? It's what every TV used prior to new colour formats becoming available. So when nvidia cards chose the wrong colour profile, it's because they are setting the profile for a TV instead of a monitor. It has nothing to do with performance and never did.

Two of those figures are higher with full RGB....

Last edited:
Soldato
Wrong. For DVI/VGA connections, too.

No, not unless you're using a VGA dongle.

Yes, it's about concerns about the users' eyesight, most certainly, how faster to ruin it...

Never mind that nonsense, let's talk some more about those benchmarks in your link.

Curtasy of Rroffs timestamp:

4goIlwCh.jpg

Those first two minimum fps results on rgb limited...

So, to summerise:
- the average fps remains virtually unchanged
- two of the tests showed higher fps on rgb full
- two of the tests showed (much) lower minimum fps on rgb limited.

Does that support Panos's claim that rgb limited is chosen for performance reasons or did you just destroy his argument for him?

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess I might be getting converted from full RGB to limited, which eats more resources. The PC standard is full RGB and that is what all monitors should be using.

Permabanned
If Amd did the same then we would all buy 5700xt cards and have 2080ti performance.

Do Amd not want its users to have the best performance?

One another remark - you can always lower the settings in Radeon Settings or in-game and get the performance increase you want while still on par with GeForce image quality.

Soldato
One another remark - you can always lower the settings in Radeon Settings or in-game and get the performance increase you want while still on par with GeForce image quality.
True, you could also increase the settings in nvidia settings to be on par with Radeon image quality.

Caporegime
Still banging away I see, without one iota of proof.

I see using AMD causes delusions... My proof? Mate in the pub told me, so it is fact! :D

Soldato

I did a fresh install of my 2080 Ti and driver on my PG279Q and it defaulted to Full, I think it completely depends on the monitor.

Still banging away I see, without one iota of proof.

I see using AMD causes delusions... My proof? Mate in the pub told me, so it is fact! :D

We don't like proof on these forums bud, We only like hyperbole !!!! :p

Back
Top Bottom