Argos - book of dreams.

Man of Honour
Those golden mini-carriage clocks are a blast from the past. Something simultaneously so utterly naff, yet apparently so aspirational (judging from them being featured on the cover of at least two early catalogues).

Back in the 90s or so my dad would get given them as presents by various companies he worked with - they'd have their own branding on the glass IIRC - so we used to have several dotted around as he had no idea what to do with them.

Man of Honour
Funny how there is an era jump around 1999 with the covers before that looking markedly like they are from a different time while the one since then superficially could all be this year.

Ree

Ree

Associate
wow i just saw my watch that i had when i was about 7 or 8. hehe i loved that thing.
2f6d2c59519b50542de8908f92cc0998.png

Soldato
A gallon of 4 star petrol to run my moped cost about a pound in 1982 and would last me a week.
I used to fill cars with petrol (yes, that was a thing back then!) and still remember the grumbling about petrol going over a quid a gallon. Heady days... quite literally; I loved the smell of petrol.

The Argos in Buxton was put on the site of the old Fine Fare, IIRC. It was an exotic Mecca of cataloguey delights, hitherto only to be found remotely via Grattans or Freemans. I remember queuing for what felt like hours in the run up to Christmas. It would probably have been quicker to get stuff from Grattans.

Associate
Select Christmas edition 10 year old me would have looked at.
See Jurassic Park duvet set that I used to have have but had forgotten about.
*nostalgia overload*

What a great thing for argos to have done!

Back
Top Bottom