#MeToo - is it just different for men and women?

Soldato
there's a big wide world of evidence at your google fingertips

eg
The economic and social costs of crime Second edition Research Report 99 Matthew Heeks, Sasha Reed, Mariam Tafsiri and Stuart Prince July 2018
the-economic-and-social-costs-of-crime-horr99.pdf,

49053190628_b94d66f385_c_d.jpg

the high percentage cost of those investigations as a function of total (really increasing?) police budget ..... unless you increase the investigation efficiency

Man of Honour
there's a big wide world of evidence at your google fingertips [..]

You've provided evidence that a study found that the average police cost for investigating a report of rape is £6,360.

That's not directly evidence that the average police cost of investigating reports of rape is what causes the conviction rate for rape to be relatively low. As I said, that hypothesis is plausible. But it's not well supported by evidence. For example, your own source states that the average police cost for investigating a report of homicide is £11,960 but the conviction rate for unlawful homicides is very high. It can't simply be about the money.

Also...£12K for a homicide investigation? That seems low to me. Also, why is the CJS cost for a homicide investigation 40 times as high as for anything else but the police cost only twice as high? How are costs in that study assigned to the police and how are they assigned to "Other CJS costs"?

Soldato
The next question - is the Conservative approach of throwing money at the police an efficient solution ... it's what the electorate will vote for, so that's QED for the ditch digger. but prevention/education would attract me more as a policy.

I see the UK appears to be the sewer of Europe in respect of these crimes ( horrific ... what's wrong with this place ) , no USA stats there

49058310398_6a9a8044ea_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Crime definitions vary, methods of reporting vary, ease of reporting varies, yet of course people want to compare different countries directly. The lack of understanding on how different variables can affect the outcome of statistics is incredible.

Associate
Crime definitions vary, methods of reporting vary, ease of reporting varies, yet of course people want to compare different countries directly. The lack of understanding on how different variables can affect the outcome of statistics is incredible.

I appreciate that, but that's quite the 'lead' that we've got in a number of categories. It's not like it's comparing us against Saudi Arabia either - these are countries that should be at least roughly in line with our standards regarding reporting of crimes etc. Do you know of any significant contributing factors that would explain these figures (other than we're a pack of nonces)?.

Soldato
That's interesting. Sweden is the top of the list for Sexual Assault per Hundred Thousand (115.1).

Surprised you don't know why that is really so?

Sweden record every individual rape as one incident and dont lump them together.

Ie get rape every night for a week by your spouse, that is recorded as 7 rapes.

Other countries lump them all together and record it as one.

Soldato
I appreciate that, but that's quite the 'lead' that we've got in a number of categories. It's not like it's comparing us against Saudi Arabia either - these are countries that should be at least roughly in line with our standards regarding reporting of crimes etc. Do you know of any significant contributing factors that would explain these figures (other than we're a pack of nonces)?.

I've no idea, but the stats don't even make sense when you look at them. Apparently you're more likely to be raped in Iceland than Sexually Assaulted, that would seem unlikely? It would also seem unlikely that you're more than 9x more likely to be raped in the UK than Germany.

Associate
I've no idea, but the stats don't even make sense when you look at them. Apparently you're more likely to be raped in Iceland than Sexually Assaulted, that would seem unlikely? It would also seem unlikely that you're more than 9x more likely to be raped in the UK than Germany.

"Lies, damned lies and statistics" comes to mind...

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Threepwood, I see. Australian crime stats do the same thing - each incident that happens to the same individual is recorded as an additional assault. Thus the number of recorded assaults is greater than the number of individuals.

Soldato
An American businesswoman has accused our esteemed PM Bonker Boris of casting her aside “like I am some gremlin” or “some fleeting one-night stand” - Surely not, say it aint so Jen :eek:

I understand that she will reveal further unsurprising details on the BBC 2 Victoria Derbyshire programme at 10:00 on Monday, November 18th ;)

Yes it's a good job he's running against Jeremy Corbyn or that might affect his chances of being elected

Caporegime
"hey guys, look how woke I am, see there is a naked black woman in my flat" I'm sure she loved being used as a trophy and having people come in unannounced like that:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...byn-showed-off-naked-diane-abbott-to-impress/
Jeremy Corbyn “showed off” a naked Diane Abbott to impress his Left-wing friends when he was a young Labour activist, a new book has revealed.

The Labour leader invited fellow activists to his London flat where they were “shaken” to find Ms Abbott in his bed, one of his friends recalled.

The incident took place in 1979 soon after Mr Corbyn’s first marriage broke down because of his near-obsessive dedication to his political activism.

It is described in Comrade Corbyn, a biography of the Labour leader by Rosa Prince, which is being serialised by The Telegraph.

The book, which draws on interviews with close friends and members of Mr Corbyn’s family, sheds new light on how his brief relationship with Ms Abbott – now a member of his shadow cabinet – helped establish his credentials on the Labour Left.

According to a Labour figure present at the time, Mr Corbyn may have thought that letting it be known that he was in a relationship with a black woman would demonstrate his commitment to radical Left-wing politics.

The witness describes how Mr Corbyn contrived an incident where a group of party activists had to visit his bedsit, where their arrival startled Ms Abbott.

“One Sunday autumn morning, he had broken up with Jane [Chapman, his first wife], and we were out leafleting. And for some reason he called four or five of us and said: ‘Oh, we’ve got to go back to my flat and pick up some leaflets.’

“It seemed a bit odd – ‘Why the hell didn’t you bring them with you, Jeremy?’ So we all bowl along to his bedsit, follow Jeremy into the room; there on the mattress on the floor in the one room is Diane with the duvet up to her neck, saying: ‘What the ****’s going on?’

“We were quite shaken. You know what it’s like when people you know both sides of break up – you have no inkling they’re going to break up, then suddenly they break up. So there was a bit of people’s surprise at that. It was [the] late ’70s, it was still a point of interest, a white man with a black woman, so he was slightly showing off: ‘I’ve got a new girlfriend, and she’s black’.”

Showing off naked conquest to mates....

#MeToo

Back
Top Bottom