Death Stranding

Soldato
I really hope the people that buy it on steam don't just abuse steam refund system and then leave a bad review calling it a "walking simulator" after playing for an hour. Hopefully there will be a demo available to stop that happening.

I have a feeling this game won't be for everyone and will be one of them marmite games. I loved the phantom pain and although not perfect, i enjoyed the repetitiveness of it as the gameplay was so much fun imo. Yet some people hated it because of the repetitiveness. My only real complaint about the phantom pain was that the landscape as a bit boring and this game doesn't seem to have that problem and looks gorgeous from what I have seen. If the story and gameplay is good in DS, I can see me enjoying it. I keep wanting to watch a stream to get a better idea of what the game is, but at the same time I don't want to spoil it too much either.

I think most would be pleased that Steam offers refunds. The game looks utterly rubbish and I can't believe people are paying £60 to play this on the PS4. What a joke. It just goes to show that people will literally buy a piece of crap just because there's a name attached to it.

It's bad enough watching videos of people walking around with so much stuff on their back that it'd be impossible to move around with. Then you throw grenades made out of your wee, poo, and other stuff, and the things that you deliver are disgusting.

Mack's WAB video on the game is spot on. I watched someone play it on Twitch for about 15 minutes and I was bored even after that amount of time. I don't see what all the fuss is about tbh. Let people leave reviews saying it's a walking simulator. That's pretty much what it is anyway, if you ignore all the weird cringy and sick moments (the baby stuff for example is just totally messed up).

Caporegime
A lot of games are walking simulators, usually punctuated by a bit of mass murder.

I've not really played it, but I'm intrigued more about the tech side of things - To see what PS4 Pro can do, and HDR is supposed to be one of the best implementations yet.

Soldato
Randomly generate some terrain, copy\paste some buildings and NPCs around, make a million fetch quests. Game finished, £55 plx.

Soldato
Been watching my other half play this on the PS4 and have found my attention totally absorbed by the constant delivering of goods from one place to another - though I love American Truck Simulator & Euro Truck Simulator, so not overly surprised I find it interesting. She's nearly completed it, so I may play a little afterwards but am mostly holding out for the PC version as I'd prefer to play it with a higher frame rate on a big widescreen monitor.

I like that the game is essentially one where you play as Amazon's last surviving delivery man, trekking across a nearly entirely desolate and ruined America... mostly by foot in the beginning until the game almost completely becomes an Apocalypse DLC for American Truck Simulator. Occasionally avoiding the BTs and a bunch of aggressive hoarders whilst ever sane person lives in what appear to be underground bunkers waiting for their Amazon orders to arrive.

So did this all come about because they used Drones to deliver and it ended the world ?? ;)

Associate
So did this all come about because they used Drones to deliver and it ended the world ?? ;)
From what I've seen of the story so far it was Monster Energy drink that wiped out the world so that no other beverage could be consumed.

Everyone lives in bunkers, but no one figured out how to make tunnels.
Part of me wants to believe that all of the bunkers are connected with tunnels and the people are just constantly making Sam trek through the hazardous landscapes for some kind of sadistic entertainment.

Soldato
I think most would be pleased that Steam offers refunds. The game looks utterly rubbish and I can't believe people are paying £60 to play this on the PS4. What a joke. It just goes to show that people will literally buy a piece of crap just because there's a name attached to it.

It's bad enough watching videos of people walking around with so much stuff on their back that it'd be impossible to move around with. Then you throw grenades made out of your wee, poo, and other stuff, and the things that you deliver are disgusting.

Mack's WAB video on the game is spot on. I watched someone play it on Twitch for about 15 minutes and I was bored even after that amount of time. I don't see what all the fuss is about tbh. Let people leave reviews saying it's a walking simulator. That's pretty much what it is anyway, if you ignore all the weird cringy and sick moments (the baby stuff for example is just totally messed up).

So it sounds like the game isn't for you, so don't buy it then. I'm saying, don't buy it on Steam even though you know it's not for you, play it for an hour, leave a bad review and refund, like so many people do. Not only will it lead to games avoiding Steam, but probably the PC as an entire platform, but its also not helpful at all for anyone reading the review to know what you thought of your hour of gameplay. The Steam reviews used to be a useful feature until everyone started abusing it.

Also not sure why everyone on here shills this WAB guy. I'm guessing hes a member here or something?

Associate
Well i gave it a good go but after 4 hours i've come to the conclusion that it's pretty terrible with little to no redeeming features beyond the graphics which can look both amazing and kinda crap at times.

The story is one giant Kojima cringefest as you'd expect.

I think the best thing to come from the game is all the little neeklings trying to make out it's some profound piece of art which normal people won't understand, very amusing :D

edit:

This pretty much nails it imo

Last edited:

ne0

ne0

Associate
This game looks so boring it's unreal. With so many other amazing games out right now it baffles me why anyone would waste their time with it!

Soldato

lol, this game does look really messed up, I won't deny I don't actually mind walking simulators, for a bit of chill down, Dear Esther and Everyones gone to rapture, fair enough, you just walk and explore, but Death Stranding - as you said, how the heck could you walk with so much stuff on your back, its a very weird game IMO, the charts over at PS4 have seen the title drop a lot, I think the hysteria over this has started to drop, it was I think as you say sold on the name, a youtube walkthrough is enough without having to shell out £55 .. Course some will buy and enjoy, each to their own

Associate
I like quite a few walking sims but its normally because the stories are quite concentrated and they don't last very long, in 9 hours of 'gameplay' I felt I had achieved little to nothing. Yeah deffo people can enjoy it and I won't discourage people from trying it but my issue is with the gaming press who have mostly decreed it as the second coming of gaming.

Man of Honour
I like quite a few walking sims but its normally because the stories are quite concentrated and they don't last very long, in 9 hours of 'gameplay' I felt I had achieved little to nothing. Yeah deffo people can enjoy it and I won't discourage people from trying it but my issue is with the gaming press who have mostly decreed it as the second coming of gaming.

Its nominated in almost every category in this years awards and you just know its going to win half a dozen of the 2019 game awards, including game of the year no doubt. As you say, the media has a stiff one for Kojima.

Back
Top Bottom