*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
48v sounds a tad extreme to run a ap thats all

Higher voltages allow more power to be delivered for a given cable core diameter and at the longer distances which can be common in some installs. Hence its better to distribute at higher voltage and convert down inside devices as needed.

The smaller Unifi APs may only need a few watts but the largest one already needs 30W and PoE standards now exist for up to 100W so the base 48v makes sense for the various PoE standards.

Soldato
When using multiple access points (Im using 3) is it best to set the 2.4 & 5 channels to the same on all the access points? Im using 11 for the 2.4ghz and 36 for the 5ghz across the 3 of my access points.

Associate
Can you get connected if you plug your PC straight into the Netgear and dial a PPPoE connection through it? At least then you know which bit of kit to look at.

I had hoped that would fix it. What type of connector does your BT infinty connection use into the Modem? Is it an RJ45 connector?

You don't need to use VLAN 101 on the PPoE settings on your router if your using a bridge modem. It's set on the modem only.

Just an update, plugged the Vigor 130 in (factory settings) reset the UDM and put in the PPPoE details for BT Infinity and it connected within a few seconds. Looks like the netgear was at fault.

Soldato
I dont know if this has been mentioned before.. But this is the way to access your AP's on more than 1 pc......

Just copy the "Ubiquiti UniFi" folder over to another pc, put it where ever you want and copy the unifi shortcut and edit it to the new location. If you alter any settings in the unifi controller, the modified controller will need tobe re copied it over to the unmodified controller, or it messes things up if both controllers has different settings.

I have the unifi controller on my desktop and laptop, so I only monitor the ap's/clients on the laptop and change all settings on the desktop. Then I if I change any settings, I just recopy the unfi folder from desktop to laptop, before running the controller on the laptop again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would you want to do that though? Surely it makes sense to have the controller running on your desktop then then access the controller ovver the network on your laptop?

I can see the AP's not being too happy about the IP address of the controller changing all the time, unless you're using the same IP for both machines or changing an FQDN.

Soldato
Umm, I didnt know you can access it over the network, but 9 out of 10 times my desktop is turned off when Im using the laptop. Plus I never leave the controller running, I always close it after done looking at stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you close controller or not when you're not using it that won't impact the network (personally I leave mine running 24/7) but whatever you do it's definitely best to only run the controller on a single device.

Soldato
I normally set it all up, keep checking it for a few days and then I dont bother with the controller much so I dont leave it running. I just let all the ap's get on with it in harmony(hopefully)

Soldato
Im thinking about get the a ap to extend the wifi in the garden and hang the ap on the back of the house, but the only problem I will need a lot of cable to run it from the router and around the outside of the house to get it where it needs to go. Can you get a forward firing outdoor unifi ap, so not to have much signal going into the house?

Associate
I have had my UDM running since Tuesday evening, until I read your post I didn't know it had a fan! I can safely say I haven't heard any fan noise coming from the unit, the plastic casing feels warm to the touch though but isn't hot.
Thanks. Not sure whether to get one now or wait for the software to mature a bit.

Associate
Thanks. Not sure whether to get one now or wait for the software to mature a bit.
The UDM has been in beta stage for 8 months now and the firmware is maturing well. I had been running my USG 3P for over 2.5yrs. It was a very solid device but as more advanced security features were added to Inifi such as IDS/IPS it exposed the lack of processor power to run the extra features. It could not cope with my 400mb/s fibre line unless I switched off smartqueues and IPS. The UDM has plenty of power under the hood, so should meet my needs for the next 3 years or more.

Soldato
Look how many devices I have on my home network,, its crazy really. Shame that I cant wire the wireless LR AP as thats taken most of the devices but I cannot hide the network cable and being in a wheelchair their's only so much I can do.. But saying all of that the wireless ap is working excellently as its never disconnected unlike these rubbish extenders/repeaters you can buy, and no one has complained about it being slow, even though it is a tad slower with it being in wireless mode.

MdMwvyX.jpg

Back
Top Bottom