The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
I've had it happen in every race I have done recently.... shows 400m to go then changes to 2000 something m. Doesn't even revert back to showing as KM's and displays in metres.

I'm not being funny, but I have never had the problem before until a recent update. So they have broken it and introduced this "bug". How hard can it be to return something to its prior years of working state? You're likely to see an update with some stupid santa and reindeer **** deployed to your client before you see actual broken stuff fixed with this lot. Shambles.

Soldato
Gotta say that's a regular annoyance - countdown distance being wrong, it's done me up like a kipper numerous times. Fix it Zwift ffs, it's basic stuff.

Not that it’s much help, but I noticed that it did it every lap, so if you pay attention to the distance to go then you can pre-empt it a bit!

Or if you know race distance before the start is accurate then go off that.

Soldato
Annoyed me in the same race as you Berger. Went from 0.8km about to 1500m for me, or at least that is what I noticed anyway.
Only noticed the problem on the NYC map, maybe because there are a lot of junctions. it’s a solid loop, not sure what it’s called, but they are about 6km laps of a moderately lumpy course in the park.

Caporegime
Thinking of getting into zwift racing as being a reasonable training option for my ironman, but... but... apart from the annoyance that its on zwift.. going to be tough but will see how it goes :).

Soldato
Is there a fix for this distance thing in races? I get it on every single race whether it is Watopia, Richmond, NY so far.
Yesterday it showed 400m to go then it bumped to 1500m and then proceeded to INCREASE to 1680m before it then started coming down again to the finish.

During that the front group all split to pieces so it's not just me it is affecting. We were lapping people constantly by that point so I ended up glued to a C rider as I was doing 420w.... Why in the actual **** has the basic things that have worked on this game for so long all of a sudden went to hell? And why on earth have these bugs they have introduced been present for weeks upon weeks now without simply being fixed? Again I find myself questioning the sanity of people paying money for this nonsense.

Associate
I've just changed trainers, from a Tacx Vortex to Neo 2T. Going from wheel on to direct drive is such a different feel, it's taking a bit of getting used to after a couple of years of the old one, but it's so much better. Much more realistic, rather than just seeming to have an on/off toggle for resistance.

The only downside is that it's measuring power much more accurately, so my ego has taken quite a big hit!

Soldato
took about 6 weeks but got it replaced with the new Direto X last week, result :)
Nice! Annoying to wait though :(

Thinking of getting into zwift racing as being a reasonable training option for my ironman, but... but... apart from the annoyance that its on zwift.. going to be tough but will see how it goes :).
Erm, I'm not sure Zwift racing is great performance for Ironman. Not unless you're trying to find some way to load fatigue to base other training on?

Racing tends to be threshold/VO2max efforts and recoveries for me, with a fair amount of soft pedalling thrown in the mix. Unless you're specifically hunting down iTT races or something?

Is there a fix for this distance thing in races?
Log it with Zwift Support, they'll have an answer. The more people who log it as a problem they're more likely to do something quicker! :D

I've just changed trainers, from a Tacx Vortex to Neo 2T. Going from wheel on to direct drive is such a different feel, it's taking a bit of getting used to after a couple of years of the old one, but it's so much better. Much more realistic, rather than just seeming to have an on/off toggle for resistance.

The only downside is that it's measuring power much more accurately, so my ego has taken quite a big hit!
It's a huge change isn't it! I went from the Vortex to my current Flux v1 in 2017. My FTP took a hit from somewhere nearing 300 to around 270-ish.

Soldato
@Roady - you kidding? The amount of cases raised for it and people joking about it is hilarious.
And it is STILL not fixed in their fix they just released claiming it was sorted.
Unbelievable when you consider the size/money involved in this monster that they can break something so basically fundamental and just leave it that way for this long.

Soldato
Yup, I totally agree! I wasn't sayuing it was ok or that they where unaware, but until enough people smash their support to bits with the same problem they don't seem to do anything. Their Developers will have been dragged into Festive features/specials at a bet needing those complete before they can bugfix. But that's purely a guess. :)

It's only screwed me once but only through luck, the rest of the time I've known where the finish is for the course I'm riding so I've semi ignored it when it's wrong.

Caporegime
Guys,

Looking to get on the zwift train. I think I'm convinced that I want a fixed unit.

I've seen the 'Elite' units and they're fairly well priced. Is there anything else worth considering? Happy to go 2nd hand bargain hunting too.

Soldato
Guys,

Looking to get on the zwift train. I think I'm convinced that I want a fixed unit.

I've seen the 'Elite' units and they're fairly well priced. Is there anything else worth considering? Happy to go 2nd hand bargain hunting too.

Several 'gotchya' things with the Elite range, some not working well ERG, some not dual ANT/BTLE etc. I don't know the range but have only really looked at the Direto before, if you can find one of them second hand I'd say go for it but I wouldn't look at anything else in their range unless I was fully versed on it from DCR (and he gave it an ok review). When I got my Flux v1 I kicked myself for a little while as the Direto was in the same ballpark and was a better unit (it uses actual DFPM, the Flux does not). But then I got my Flux at a voucher/cashback combo price in early 2017 which was £150 below the cheapest I could find the Direto and the Flux then only reached that price again when they sold them off to make way for the S & v2, so I did well. I have been lucky with it as didn't end up with a turkey and it's continued to be reliable.

The price of the Elite Zumo is interesting around the mid-range, but I've not seen many people snapping them up. Most seem to be spending a little more and getting a KICKR Core. The Elite Suito again is interesting around the same price point as the Core, includes a cassette, but don't see many people getting them. People around the FB Zwift groups still seem to be buying the Flux 2 & S/Core/KICKR/Neo in droves, the big price cuts Wahoo and Tacx did at the high-end just seemed to push more towards the big brands across the board. Considering the problems Tacx had with the Flux it's surprising but I guess that's Tacx's market penetration that it was still a success. So I'm gussing there's just more deals on the Flux's from retailers to still entice buyers. All of the initial design/firmware/QC problems with the Flux & Kickr Core should be long gone by now, unsure if Elite are seeing any as their units are newer. Could be another reason why people are keeping away from Elite?

Most regular Zwifters these days seem to stick with the Wahoo/Tacx ranges (but my cross section could be a little too 'elite' lol - I'm around the racing teams and regular group riders through the year/multiple year riders, not that many new zwifters).

EDIT: Good point here from Ray regarding the KICKR due to the teething issues they had with the 2018 edition production fubar - he says to stay clear of used 2018 KICKR's.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone want a code for 3 months free on Zwift?
The first person to PM me gets it.

The code gives you 3 months of Zwift membership, a special in-game Canyon kit, and Ultimate bike.
The code has to be redeemed until December 31st, 2019.

** Edit **
Code PM'd to the lucky "winner" :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well done and huge kudos for giving it away! Where did you get it from? :D

Had a good 'return' ride to Zwift last night (after shaking off some illness and a gradual slump the last couple of weeks). Was covering for the WTRL TTT guys incase a spot opened up/someone dropped but not required. Just as well really as the Zwift update seemed to take an age to install, no idea if it's a big one or just my lappy being slow.

Jumped into the 8pm Zwift - Tour of London Stage #2. Went in 'CAT A' which was the 'Long' course. London figure 8, 2 laps so twice up Box hill. Quite a big turnout of riders but I'd told myself not to race it too much so surfed the rear of the main group until things stretched and the elastic eventually snapped (seemed to take ages!). Settled into a fairly good goup and we reeled in many more from up front. I'd resolved to ride Box reserved and did for the first half, but the splits and effort up the latter part soon decided that! Bit of an effort on the ramp over the top to get on some wheels for the descent and sat up for it. Good recovery, then good selection around the flats afterwards. Got a bit distracted chatting with Tom Pidcock (he's good for a natter if you can catch him!). Got a group formed but several splits and chases before smashed to bits up Box the second time. Sat up and paced it, blew up a little but a couple of micro recoveries (switchbacks) and chatting with a friend who was chasing I was able to push on the upper part of the climb. Caught several guys from the group, thinned the group again over the ramp. Had another good wheel on the descent so could soft pedal, recovered for an effort into the finish. Chatting with another guy, some good banter and chased him down, splitting things a bit on the escalators. Surfed wheels a little, waiting for the sprint and nobody seemed to want to make a move, ramping up very late and slowly. I used that to my advantage and had somehow a sprint left in the tank. Slingshotted & rolled them all on the line! Not sure how!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hah, yea that's me mate. Cheers for the comment! I was however pushing my self quite a bit more than normal. But it was an excellent ride :)

Thinking of Stage 3 on Saturday morning, although annoyingly I've missed out on Stage 1 :/
Kudos earned on that ride buddy, just spotted it by your finish time being very similar to mine, nothing else. Well ridden!

I was gassed both of those climbs, rode the flats far harder than I should've, along with being far too distracted chatting with friends so quite a few more chases when I shouldn't have been dropped. Still awesome training, I utterly buried myself the 2 Box climbs, going far deeper than I should've (it was meant to be a '1st ride back recovery after illness' type affair!). The end sprint as well. I sweated buckets, garage and fan where really cool so did trigger some chesty coughing so fingers crossed I've not set my recovery back too much. Racing hard is one of those things, it happens too easily and I go far too deep but that's the racer in me really - reeling people in, sitting on and tactically beating them into the final once the climbing is done. Riding to the line, not the targets/KOMs etc. Especially when It's Not A Race. ;)

There will be several days of 'catch up' rides after the end stage where you can ride missing stages. Like you I've also missed Stage 1, but would be good to ride the rest. Really enjoy these 'series' type affairs as they really do significantly boost my riding.

I can't ride saturday morning, actually get the chance to ride outside with the club so I'm taking it - unless the weather gods throw a spanner in the works. :rolleyes: ;)

Soldato
Yea, I can't say I took it easy on the 2 climbs either hah. My power isn't amazing compared to most on here, last FTP was around 206watts (3+ months ago) but I tried to maintain at least 200+ going up them. So plenty of yellow and red in the Zwift graph hehe

The flats felt weird to me, I just couldn't maintain it as easy as I did on the climbs and felt like I was constantly fighting to stay with the group.

Overall it was an excellent ride, and yea looking at your power and time it looks a decent match!

Catch up days! Nice, I'll have to keep an eye out on the calender, cheers :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I was thinking today. The Peloton bikes are nothing special are they.

The streaming or fixed workout classes could be run using any bike/trainer.

If you owned a smart trainer and set your FTP correctly on their software then it could just use Erg mode and alter the resistance for you as a % of your FTP to meet the sessions targets.

Do you think they are potentially missing a trick here? They could get a load more subscribers at £20 p/m this way, can’t imagine too many people will fork out 2 grand on a specific bike?

Anyway, I rode Zwift. Did Richmond for a change and rode up the short hill so hard, managed to get HR over 200 on the second lap. Not sure I’d do that on the roads..

Back
Top Bottom