• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'd love to love Xbox again but if all we're ever going to get is endless reiterations of Forza, Halo and Gears then I'll be skipping, again. They have a mountain to climb to beat Sony in that respect.

Soldato
I think the Xbox One was the last Xbox console I’ll ever buy. I got it on release along with the PS4 but after the initial ‘honeymoon period’ I just didn’t play it anymore. It sat on my shelf for months until I traded it in. On the other hand my PS4 was used constantly and since upgrading to the PS4 Pro, I still play it regularly today.

As a PS4 / PC gamer there is no exclusivity that Xbox can entice me with. I get exclusives are not the core Xbox strategy and it obviously works for them but I can never really get my head around producing new hardware without the killer exclusive games to make people buy it.

I just look at the new X Series and think yeah it looks pretty neat but every game available to it is also on PC where my PC can run it better anyway.

Man of Honour
I think the Xbox One was the last Xbox console I’ll ever buy. I got it on release along with the PS4 but after the initial ‘honeymoon period’ I just didn’t play it anymore. It sat on my shelf for months until I traded it in. On the other hand my PS4 was used constantly and since upgrading to the PS4 Pro, I still play it regularly today.

As a PS4 / PC gamer there is no exclusivity that Xbox can entice me with. I get exclusives are not the core Xbox strategy and it obviously works for them but I can never really get my head around producing new hardware without the killer exclusive games to make people buy it.

I just look at the new X Series and think yeah it looks pretty neat but every game available to it is also on PC where my PC can run it better anyway.

The ideal scenario for Microsoft is that everyone builds their own pc and use game pass on it.

They lose money on hardware (both home devices and data centre processing machines for xCloud), but there is still a large number of people that don't have the funds to spend twice the price of a console to equal its performance.

Soldato
400 million PC gamers in the West and 800 million PC gamers in the East. If Microsoft can get 50 million of them to subscribe to gamepass then it won't need to sell any consoles as that equals $10 billion in annual revenue and is more than the Xbox division currently makes in revenue from selling games and consoles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite interested to see what Microsoft's studios pump out for the next console. There's quite a few who haven't got anything announced beyond next year:

343 Industries - Working on Halo: Infinite
Compulsion Games - Finished with We Happy Few. No new projects announced yet.
Double Fine - Finishing up Psychonauts 2 for multi-plat release next year. No projects announced beyond that.
inXile Entertainment - Finishing Wasteland 3 for multi-plat release next year. No projects announced beyond that.
Mojang - Finishing Minecraft Dungeons for multi-plat release next year. No projects announced beyond that.
Ninja Theory - Working on Bleeding Edge and Senua Saga: Hellblade 2 for Xbox SX and PC.
Obsidian Entertainment - Working on Grounded for Xbox One and PC. No projects announced beyond that.
Playground Games - Working on the next Forza Horizon title and an unannounced RPG (*cough* Fable *cough*).
Rare - Working on Battletoads (2020) and Everwild. No platforms announced for the latter, but likely Xbox SX and PC (or possibly cross-generation).
The Coalition - No projects announced, but likely working on the next Gears game for Xbox SX/PC.
The Initiative - New studio working on an unannounced next-gen game.
Turn 10 Studios - No projects announced, but likely working on the next For.za Motorsport game for Xbox SX/PC.
Undead Labs - No projects announced.
World's Edge - Working on Age of Empires IV.

There should be a decent number of next-gen exclusives coming. The above doesn't include projects being worked on by third-parties for publishing by Xbox Game Studios either.

Soldato
I'd love to love Xbox again but if all we're ever going to get is endless reiterations of Forza, Halo and Gears then I'll be skipping, again. They have a mountain to climb to beat Sony in that respect.

That's kind of where I am just now. I currently have both of the current generaltion consoles and I'd rush out to buy a PS5 day one but I'm really not sure about the Xbox Series X.

Sony showed a real commitement to putting out the best hardware at the cheapest price and delivering on quality games. Plus they've also been supporting VR heavily which I really enjoy.

Microsoft on the other hand haven't really had much success with their recent exclusives like Sea of Thieves, Crackdown and Gears of War. Plus they pushed Kinect hard then dropped it completely. They've also bailed on VR by dropping Windows Mixed Reality headsets completely. It's hard to justify spending £400-500 on a console if all it brings to the table is updated versions of Halo and Forza......

Soldato
Quite interested to see what Microsoft's studios pump out for the next console. There's quite a few who haven't got anything announced beyond next year:

343 Industries - Working on Halo: Infinite
Compulsion Games - Finished with We Happy Few. No new projects announced yet.
Double Fine - Finishing up Psychonauts 2 for multi-plat release next year. No projects announced beyond that.
inXile Entertainment - Finishing Wasteland 3 for multi-plat release next year. No projects announced beyond that.
Mojang - Finishing Minecraft Dungeons for multi-plat release next year. No projects announced beyond that.
Ninja Theory - Working on Bleeding Edge and Senua Saga: Hellblade 2 for Xbox SX and PC.
Obsidian Entertainment - Working on Grounded for Xbox One and PC. No projects announced beyond that.
Playground Games - Working on the next Forza Horizon title and an unannounced RPG (*cough* Fable *cough*).
Rare - Working on Battletoads (2020) and Everwild. No platforms announced for the latter, but likely Xbox SX and PC (or possibly cross-generation).
The Coalition - No projects announced, but likely working on the next Gears game for Xbox SX/PC.
The Initiative - New studio working on an unannounced next-gen game.
Turn 10 Studios - No projects announced, but likely working on the next For.za Motorsport game for Xbox SX/PC.
Undead Labs - No projects announced.
World's Edge - Working on Age of Empires IV.

There should be a decent number of next-gen exclusives coming. The above doesn't include projects being worked on by third-parties for publishing by Xbox Game Studios either.

While all that sounds great, reality is that putting out another gears, halo or forza doesn't excite most people to replay games from previous generations.

I think Sony have more original new games coming to their ps4 platform compared to xbox one this generation. Even though I've never owned a Sony console since the ps2 I have considered buying a ps4 at odd times due to the games as really that's what my console is for.

Edit: can't believe I missed this post from justbeats

Exactly how I feel. I love game pass / digital and gold etc and the route their taking but they need NEW games. Take a risk Microsoft.

Associate
I just hope that all these studios they have acquired start to make genuine AAA quality games like Sony's studios have been doing. So far all their games I have played in the last few years apart from Gears 5 have felt a bit rough or unfinished (Sea of Thieves/State of Decay), that new Obsidian survival game looks to be a similar sort of effort. Out of that list you have made though there a couple of promising prospects mainly Hellblade 2 and Psychonauts 2 for me.

Man of Honour
That's kind of where I am just now. I currently have both of the current generaltion consoles and I'd rush out to buy a PS5 day one but I'm really not sure about the Xbox Series X.

Having the other current generation console would provide you with a lot more variety than having both the PS4 and XBone.

Associate
Xbox are sitting on a gold mine of great devs so hopefully they pull out all the stops and have an amazing launch line up, I honestly thought that Ghost of Tsushima would be a PS5 launch title so I'm happy to see it coming out on the PS4 still but with that that and TLOU pt.2 neing PS4 titles I think Sony must have a couple of belters up their sleeves, maybe Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

Soldato
Xbox are sitting on a gold mine of great devs so hopefully they pull out all the stops and have an amazing launch line up, I honestly thought that Ghost of Tsushima would be a PS5 launch title so I'm happy to see it coming out on the PS4 still but with that that and TLOU pt.2 neing PS4 titles I think Sony must have a couple of belters up their sleeves, maybe Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

Horizon Zero Dawn is all but confirmed. The developer has been hiring staff for a "next gen horizon project" as quoted from the position advertisements.

Soldato
They have 12 other studios now so we should be getting something different.
I'd take one proven Sony studio over any of those, kind of says it all?

Exactly, same here.

343 Industries - Working on Halo: Infinite - Oh great yet another halo...
Compulsion Games - Finished with We Happy Few. No new projects announced yet. - who?
Double Fine - Finishing up Psychonauts 2 for multi-plat release next year. No projects announced beyond that - multi-plat says it all
inXile Entertainment - Finishing Wasteland 3 for multi-plat release next year. No projects announced beyond that - Again multi-plat says it all
Mojang - Finishing Minecraft Dungeons for multi-plat release next year. No projects announced beyond that. - Sounds err, unexciting?
Ninja Theory - Working on Bleeding Edge and Senua Saga: Hellblade 2 for Xbox SX and PC - Never heard of any of these
Obsidian Entertainment - Working on Grounded for Xbox One and PC. No projects announced beyond that - Great PC and xbox, why buy an xbox if you have a decent PC?
Playground Games - Working on the next Forza Horizon title and an unannounced RPG (*cough* Fable *cough*) - Forza! Fable! I'm so excited! :rolleyes:
Rare - Working on Battletoads (2020) and Everwild. No platforms announced for the latter, but likely Xbox SX and PC (or possibly cross-generation) - Sounds amazing...
The Coalition - No projects announced, but likely working on the next Gears game for Xbox SX/PC - More Gears Yay!
The Initiative - New studio working on an unannounced next-gen game - Wow I'm in...
Turn 10 Studios - No projects announced, but likely working on the next For.za Motorsport game for Xbox SX/PC - More forza, wow I'm in?
Undead Labs - No projects announced - OK
World's Edge - Working on Age of Empires IV - As above

Sorry i don't mean to take the pee but seriously?

Sony showed a real commitement to putting out the best hardware at the cheapest price and delivering on quality games. Plus they've also been supporting VR heavily which I really enjoy.

Microsoft on the other hand haven't really had much success with their recent exclusives like Sea of Thieves, Crackdown and Gears of War. Plus they pushed Kinect hard then dropped it completely. They've also bailed on VR by dropping Windows Mixed Reality headsets completely. It's hard to justify spending £400-500 on a console if all it brings to the table is updated versions of Halo and Forza......
Agreed. Microsoft are all 'this is the worlds most powerful console' but they don't have the games to back it up, and it'll be EXACTLY the same next time.

While all that sounds great, reality is that putting out another gears, halo or forza doesn't excite most people to replay games from previous generations.

I think Sony have more original new games coming to their ps4 platform compared to xbox one this generation. Even though I've never owned a Sony console since the ps2 I have considered buying a ps4 at odd times due to the games as really that's what my console is for.

Edit: can't believe I missed this post from justbeats

Exactly how I feel. I love game pass / digital and gold etc and the route their taking but they need NEW games. Take a risk Microsoft.
Spot on that man :)

Sony already have next gen tied down with the follow-up belters you've mentioned, and they surely have more up their sleeves, and MS haven't even caught up from last time.

I used to love xbox but it became complacent, boring, predictable, and lazy. I can't see them ever recovering from that.

Soldato
Time will tell, I guess.

The Xbox One released at a time of general turmoil and bad decision making at Microsoft. The mistakes that were made resulted in the cancellation of most of the Xbox One first-party line-up, followed by the shuttering of the studios that were working on those games. For most of the Xbox One's life, they had just five first-party studios; 343 (Halo), The Coalition (Gears), Turn 10 (Forza), Rare (Sea of Thieves) and Mojang (Minecraft).

That, in brief, is why the Xbox One was so lacking in exclusives. But Xbox Game Studios now consists of 14 studios, and some of the recent acquisitions have put out some really good and/or interesting games in recent years.

FWIW, I'm not trying to engage in a "console wars" fanboy nonsense debate here. I really couldn't care less about the relative success of the different platforms or which one has the most AAAAAAAAAAA games. I'm just on the look out for games I'll find interesting & thought that list may be of interest to some.

Also, you haven't heard of Hellblade? From what you've posted, I think it may be up your street. Worth checking out, as the first game is multi-platform. One of my favourite games of recent years.

Last edited:
Soldato
FWIW, I'm not trying to engage in a "console wars" fanboy nonsense debate here.

+1 I've owned both consoles since launch so have no agenda. I'm simply posting my thoughts and concerns about the direction Microsoft has gone in this generation and why I think the sales figures are so heavily skewed towards Sony's system rather than theirs.

Regarding their games being available on PC as well this is something I think Microsoft should make more of an effort to embrace rather than trying to keep the platforms so separate. Continuing to add crossplay alongside mouse and keyboard support to the Xbox would go a long way to building a following for them. Especially with high end GPUs being so expensive and many people switching to laptops now for portability.

Back
Top Bottom