• Series S

Votes: 105 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 25.9%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I’m looking forward to both I think there are great games on each and don’t see one as better than the other tbh. I generally use Xbox more as I find the controller considerably comfier no other reason. I can’t say I’m overly bothered about the specs or how much better a pc is just looking forward to a decent increase in overall benefit.

Tbh I’m still impressed with the current gen games as some have been stunning.

Soldato
I completely agree, if the new one does output 4k60 or even 1440@60 with K&M properly implemented then I'll jump on it day one.

People keep referring to K&M support being properly implemented but not distinguishing that fact that Microsoft HAVE implemented K&M support, it's the developers decisions to support it in their games.

I'm sure that future developments for the XSX will have increasing K&M functionality, but at least for me, it's more important that those developers properly implement ways of allowing gamers with pads to segregate themselves from being in multiplayer games with K&M players and the increased probability of getting trounced with the advantage that K&M has over pads.

Soldato
I agree, there needs to be separation online, once/if the big boys decide to include it in the next COD/BF etc then I could see it gaining real traction. Loads of people would jump ship and happily play on a console if it used K&M, especially those of us who grew bored of the constant upgrade nonsense on the PC. 60fps is also not great after 120/144/165/240hz but if it's a level playing field then it'll be fine. Maybe a 1080p/120fps mode for online?

There's also the issue of the mechanics of the game being altered for use with a pad. When I played with a Xim4 I was disappointed with it generally, the turning circle was woeful and found that this wasn't down to the input device but the actual engine being modified to accommodate the joypad. I'm unsure how this would be implemented to recognise and amend the mechanics of the game but I eventually gave up with the XIM4 it as it wasn't great.

I play mostly single player these days anyway so just want it to work on first person shooters and feel like it does on the PC. I'll stick with joypad for third person stuff.

Caporegime
OP
I'm beginning to think it's a given that Microsoft or Sony or both will try to chase after the esports crowd. If you can get them away from spending £500-£600 on a PC that will play CS:GO, Fortnite, etc. and in to your ecosystem then it will be a bonus for them. If they support Fortnite with a keyboard and mouse, I am guessing it will pretty much run at 1440p120 or even 4K120 and there's your high frame rate as well. Many might just be persuaded. A lot of course will depend on the developers. Can they get companies to port things like League of Legends, CS:GO, Hearthstone, etc. Can you even play them with a gamepad? And then on the downside, any £299 laptop can probably play those titles at 1366x768.

Caporegime
OP
But using a keyboard and mouse whilst monging out on the sofa in front of the TV is hardly ideal.

Aye but k+m+Xbox setup could be used in place of a PC in bedrooms/studies/etc. I've seen a lot of comments about people loving the XSX hardware and wanting to build a gaming PC in a similar sized case. I suppose it depends on how people use a PC. An Xbox obviously can't replace it if you are there using Microsoft Word and such like. (I suppose with k+m support you might be able to run Office web apps if they include the Edge browser.)

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye but k+m+Xbox setup could be used in place of a PC in bedrooms/studies/etc. I've seen a lot of comments about people loving the XSX hardware and wanting to build a gaming PC in a similar sized case. I suppose it depends on how people use a PC. An Xbox obviously can't replace it if you are there using Microsoft Word and such like. (I suppose with k+m support you might be able to run Office web apps if they include the Edge browser.)

The Xbox console is never going to replace a laptop or tablet or pc, it's not going to have Microsoft Office or pdf viewer. Having edge and YouTube etc is due to additional extras that were popular at the time.
As already said some games have k+m support, to me I don't care if someone is sitting with a game pad or k+m, it's just gaming. A lot of people take gaming quite seriously these days and it's sucking the fun out of it sometimes.

Soldato
To be honest in the grand scheme of things whilst m&kb is cool to have it means nothing to the actual mass market.

Most PS4 and Xbox owners 100m or whatever are very casual so I don't see this as a deal breaker for either console.

I grew up on PC gaming and find a pad fine now, not as good but decent enough to lounge back in a chair and play some COD. I switch across play off though, no interest in playing folk on PC.

Soldato
But using a keyboard and mouse whilst monging out on the sofa in front of the TV is hardly ideal.

I agree, but I'd just buy a couch master specifically for it, it's still way cheaper than a PC and will give me 90% of the PC experience.

The Xbox console is never going to replace a laptop or tablet or pc, it's not going to have Microsoft Office or pdf viewer. Having edge and YouTube etc is due to additional extras that were popular at the time.

I don't want it to replace a PC for working on, (that's what my MacBook Pro is for), this is specifically for gaming cheaply with a K&M.

Associate
Yeah I'd be predicting retail for 500. Anything higher I think would hurt them.

If there's a special edition console at launch I might be tempted to pay a little more.

Soldato
Yeh IGN said $599 which I guess would mean £499 here. Not that much over the One X launch pricing. Anything more and I'm.just upgrading my PC.

I may still just get a PS5 and upgrade my PC tbf, we'll see.

Associate
Yeah a big PS5 undercut would probably make me go back to PlayStation. Then I could just keep my One X and play new stuff on that, as I assume things will still come out on both systems around launch, and go Series X later.

Soldato
Yeah a big PS5 undercut would probably make me go back to PlayStation. Then I could just keep my One X and play new stuff on that, as I assume things will still come out on both systems around launch, and go Series X later.
Agreed. I think they need to be in the ball park.of the PS5.

Associate

Agreed. I think they need to be in the ball park.of the PS5.

I wouldn't be under any illusion that the PS5 is going to be cheaper than Series X as both are being made with nigh on identical components and touted as the flagship. As ever, what will determine hardware sales is what platform peoples friends are buying and exclusives (timed or otherwise). The consoles themselves almost always lose Sony/MS money which is recouped in software/peripherals.

However, I would like to developers push timed exclusives to a trend (it would be beneficial for both Sony and MS studios to cross support platforms) as it would mean an easier choice for the gamer as people would know they only have to wait a while for it to be released on their platform of choice.

Shawrey

Back
Top Bottom