• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
The slide actually only says > next gen console... so pretty meaningless. Probably a given that it's more powerful than the next gen switch or, if it's real, more powerful than lockhart!

Crazy as it seems, the current leaks suggest that the Xbox series X may well have more grunt than even the normal 2080 let alone the 2080 MaxQ…. so I'm going to err on the side of nonsense from Nvidia given they have nothing to do with the development. Also seems an odd brag that the GPU in a high end laptop that will realistically cost upwards of 2k for the system can beat a console.

Soldato
Nvidia just salty they haven’t supplied either Sony or Microsoft for generations. You can’t compare a gaming laptop that’s at least twice the price + to a console. Well you can, but it isn’t a sensible argument.

Caporegime
In quite a few ways :(

Poor frame rate, my 2500k did a WAY better job in every way and was pretty old at the point of buying a One X - a 10 year old CPU (bought in 2008, with the original Windows install lol) was able to murder a One X on frame rate.

Graphics / frame rate was dictated by developers, granted there was a graphics and performance mode on SOME games but I expected better graphics in performance and as I was running in performance mode all the time (when the option was available) then there was never any real justification for me to upgrade to a 4K TV.

I had to rely on MS/Sony to "upgrade" old games to better graphics or buy them again - not a fan of this at all.

I really missed the ability to tweak graphics settings to my liking.

Joypads, this beggers belief, the PS3 pad was absolute dog poo, improved a lot with the PS4 pad but I preferred the Xbox pad and couldnt use it.

Youtube was AWFUL, obviously no adblocker but when vids are interrupted by a 'x' second advert, it wears thin pretty fast.
Also, unable to see comments on a video, it makes watching long vids with timestamps a pain as I have to reference my phone for comments :(

Other apps didnt always work properly - I never got the PS4 twitch app to work over the past couple of years, not just me on this either as I found a reddit thread with many other people having difficulties.

The online stores, jesus, what an absolute slow, clunky mess (both are leaps and bounds ahead of the PS3 store though).

VR, wanted to give it a try, MS say "NO" and the cost of PS4 peripherals for VR was more than I thought was reasonable.

PS4 integrated perfectly with my TV remote, not with Xbox, I had to spend more money on another remote which just chews through batteries.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One X, you stand the chance of getting a "bad" one, that is very loud - I know the PS4 Pro was also VERY sketchy on this but I didn't own one so I won't comment!
I will add that both of my above consoles were ok for me, my PS4 was even a launch one :D

Ultimately they all feel like iphones, if you want to accept them as they are then you are ok as there is ZERO scope for going outside of what they (manufacturers or developers) want them to do.

That's all just off the top of my head.

I know that makes it sounds like I hated the console experience, I actually didn't, it's just as per my earlier comment, I found it frustrating.

They both play blu rays, so that's a bonus a guess, ended on a positive!! :D

Apologies for this brief brain dump, as I didn't want to moan although I do have a bottle of wine in my belly and a head full of cold but apart from that, Merry Christmas :D

sorry, but I call BS on that frame rate claim. I just don’t believe you.

Soldato
The switch is using tegra

that Tegra shouldn't really be included.

It's an off the shelf product that is supplied to Nintendo.

where as AMD is heavily involved in the custom design and building of the PS5/Xbox.

Using the Switch is a bit like saying Nvidia is involved in building cars because they sell Tegra chips to car manufacturers who use it to power in car displays

Last edited:
Soldato
that Tegra shouldn't really be included.

It's an off the shelf product that is supplied to Nintendo.

where as AMD is heavily involved in the custom design and building of the PS5/Xbox.

Using the Switch is a bit like saying Nvidia is involved in building cars because they sell Tegra chips to car manufacturers who use it to power in car displays
4K8K is that you :p

Soldato
I think some people especially if they also game on PC notice frame rates more. I personally find 30fps fine and it looks smooth to me but to others it looks horrid.

Soldato
I’m actually quite excited for the series x and think I’m gonna get one, the specs look excellent. I very nearly bought a X but glad I didn’t now. Last console I bought was a 360 and I sold that donkeys years ago.

Ive pretty much lost interest in PC gaming now and certainly ain’t bothered wasting money upgrading it.

I’d be happy with some casual gaming on the series x rigged up to my oled.

Caporegime
OP
I'll probably end up buying both consoles but this time I'll be regressing back to disc purchases instead of digital, where possible. This gen, I ended up double dipping - buying PS4 digital versions and Steam PC versions of some games (which makes the PS4 version kind of redundant as the PC can play it better) so it was a waste of money in the end. Only going to buy exclusives on the digital stores and as Sony is the only one keeping their exclusives on console, it'll probably be only SIE published stuff. Microsoft's stuff will be play on Game Pass, buy on Steam.

Man of Honour
I'll probably end up buying both consoles but this time I'll be regressing back to disc purchases instead of digital, where possible. This gen, I ended up double dipping - buying PS4 digital versions and Steam PC versions of some games (which makes the PS4 version kind of redundant as the PC can play it better) so it was a waste of money in the end. Only going to buy exclusives on the digital stores and as Sony is the only one keeping their exclusives on console, it'll probably be only SIE published stuff. Microsoft's stuff will be play on Game Pass, buy on Steam.
I will be going subscription only for Xbox, and buying exclusives and Indies on the next switch.

Soldato
I think it could be as much as £599 but I think that’s good value. Especially compared to a high end GPU. If it costs £600 but lasts 5+ years, that’s damn good value in my opinion.

I’m dead excited for Series X just annoying it’s still so far away! I think Microsoft have nailed it with their Ultimate pass as well, that combined with a Series X will be perfect.

Associate
I think both the Series X & PS5 could be another nail in the coffin for PC gaming, top line GPU prices are ridiculous now even the mid range cards are getting expensive.
I have a 55" 4K Samsung TV with HDR10+ & 4K games on the One X look superb on it, it would cost me best part of £2000+ to build a PC with a decent 4K monitor to have games looking this good.

So the Series X at £599 is a day one buy for me.

Back
Top Bottom