****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Soldato
It's all just internet nonsense until the 'unnamed source' or JJ speaks out.

Given what we know about the general conversation on social media these days I'm inclined to file it in the 'internet fodder' folder.

Caporegime

Given what we know about the general conversation on social media these days I'm inclined to file it in the 'internet fodder' folder.

Dunno about that, quite a lot of the leaks about movies this year have been legit, dark fate had a lot leaked about it, wouldn't shock me if a lot of this were also true. The guy who played poe made a crack about the "Disney Overlords" so would seem there's some friction there.

Soldato
Just back from watching it and for me it is a 5 out of 10. In the context of the Star Wars universe there was a complete failure to suspend disbelief. So many things made no sense based on the history of what has been previously laid down. I also felt there were some poor CGI scenes, in particular the Leah/Luke training looked pretty ropey to me.

Soldato
I dunno. I'm filing it under 'probably true but blown up out of all proportion'. Sounds like someone who's not used to how big studios work hearing one side of the story and making a big deal out of it. Whereas in reality that's exactly how these movies are made. Gone are the days where a director has final say and complete control.

For example, just quickly;
My source mentioned this shortly after the premiere: “The TROS we saw last night was not the TROS we thought we worked on”.
Totally normal for someone working in production. You shoot a movie, 6 months later another movie comes out.
JJ wanted to do some scenes he thought were important but Disney shut it down citing budgetary reasons.
Totally normal for any big budget movie.
My source thinks but can’t 100% confirm that this is because of China.
I have first-hand experience of big budget movies changing for China. Heck, they are changed for a lot of markets post- final cut. E.g. Ted 2 cut all of the drug references for Russia because you're not allowed to show it. China has a lot of sway over Hollywood right now. It's a massively untapped market and all studios are changing their dynamics to suit.
Disney demanded they shoot some scenes that would have things in it for merchandise.
No surprises there. It's how Disney makes it's money and has done since the first SWs.
JJ’s original early November cut was 3 hours 2 minutes long.
No surprises that an earlier cut is a lot longer, that's how editing works. I'd question the timeframe though, if the movie released 19 December JJ probably delivered the cut to Disney a week or two before that. I'd imagine his "November cut" was probably from a month or so earlier than that. Unless the source is very high up I doubt he'd be watching many cuts, depending on their role.

...Then there's a whole bunch of stuff about scenes getting cut shorter. No ****, again that's editing. A movie like SW would probably shoot 3-6hrs of footage a day, for about 60 days. You think all of that makes it into the movie? lol.

tldr; it's a bunch of half-truths majorly embellished to create a story for the fanboys.

Soldato
Just back from viewing - 7/10.

First part seemed to be all over the place, however, once we got going, i thought it wrapped up the saga very well.

• The last act was great and I'm glad it ended where it all started on Tatooine.
  • Not enough Mark Hamill or Yoda.
  • If Rey took the Skywalker name, didn't she kiss her brother?
  • Red 5 - yey!
  • Lando - "I have a bad feeling about this" - great to see they got it in again.
  • Ben - "Dad". Han - "I know" - tear in the eye moment :)
Finn

Did we ever find out what Finn was going to tell Rey as they were sinking into the dirt?

Also I can't work out if they were trying to suggest Finn had suddenly become slightly Force sensitive, as he kept going on about how he "knew this" or could "feel that" with no explanation.

I didn't understand the above either - anyone?

Last edited:
Caporegime
i took it that with the destruction of the final order and the emperor, hope was restored and the largely press ganged crews mutiny, leading to the ships being destroyed
Yup, everybody knows the best way to mutiny is to blow up the ship that's separating you from the cold, dark depths of space... oh wait :p

Soldato
Whereas in reality that's exactly how these movies are made. Gone are the days where a director has final say and complete control.

I'm sure Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan etc just let the studio chop their films however they want :D

As I mentioned earlier, if (and that a big IF) those leaks are real then JJ is spineless. You want the film to go your way then you make the studio an ultimatum that you are 100% willing to commit to. So if they say No then you walk with all bad PR that attracts but you keep your integrity like the 4 (FOUR!!!) other directors who have walked from SW films when the studio began to interfere.

Caporegime
Soldato
...I think you might need to go back to school dude :D

Ben was a Solo, at best she'd be a non blood related cousin. :p

So, maybe Rey and Ben are kind of like cousins or siblings, simply because she adopts the Skywalker name at the end. This essentially makes the ending of The Rise of Skywalker a little like Luke Wilson and Gwyneth Paltrow in The Royal Tenenbaums. Which, if we’re being honest, is probably the perfect movie to watch now that you’re done thinking about The Rise of Skywalker.

https://www.fatherly.com/news/rise-of-skywalker-spoilers-rey-and-kylo-ren-kiss-siblings-cousins/

Back
Top Bottom