****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Man of Honour
Still haven't seen ep9. Never will either.

I have been playing the Lego StarWars Skywalker saga on the Xbox recently and thought, oooh I'll watch the last 3 films (Watched 1-6 many times, but only 7-9 once each)

I loved them. not once did I think, thats wrong or thats not what it was in the other films. Good guys fight bads guys. Space ships. Laser gun fights. Odds against the good guys. Good guys find a way. Droids. Evil. Magic stuff. Funky space people. The list is endless and It was a fun ride.

Guess I am easily pleased.

It sounds like you just aren't really a Star Wars fan as such.

Star Wars is not just "Good guys fight bads guys. Space ships. Laser gun fights. Odds against the good guys. Good guys find a way. Droids. Evil. Magic stuff. Funky space people. The list is endless" to most of us. They are so much more than the sum of their parts. It's also that ultimately, the Disney HateFiction™ editions are not only not good Star Wars films, they're just not very good films flat out.

Maybe literally just easily pleased tbf, that is a thing. Did you also enjoy Game of Thrones season 8 :p?

Last edited:
Soldato
Star Wars is not just "Good guys fight bads guys. Space ships. Laser gun fights. Odds against the good guys. Good guys find a way. Droids. Evil. Magic stuff. Funky space people. The list is endless" to most of us. They are so much more than the sum of their parts. It's also that ultimately, the Disney HateFiction™ editions are not only not good Star Wars films, they're just not very good films flat out.

Maybe literally just easily pleased tbf, that is a thing. Did you also enjoy Game of Thrones season 8 :p?
The issue I had with Abrams reboot is that it just didn't feel like Star Wars, similar to his reboot of Star Trek. The main takeaway I personally had walking out of the cinema after watching ep 7 with my son was disappointment. Managed to talk him into seeing 8 when it came out (hoping it would be better, we'd watched Rogue One and enjoyed it), and by God, it's possibly the worst film I've ever watched. So yeah, I will never watch ep 9.

Associate
I personally thought 9 was better than 8.
Agree with this. 9 didn't have much hope as it had to clean up the mess ep. 8 had created, but 9 still turned out to be a better (but still not great) film.

The Last Jedi is one of the worst films I have ever seen IMO, the fact that it was a Star Wars film was even more unfortunate.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
8 was the best and 9 was the worst of the new set IMO.

- 7 played it too safe to the point of being pastiche.

- 8 took big risks and was unpredictable, with mixed results.

- 9 was a rushed popcorn romp, playing it safe but cramming so much in that the content never had any time to breathe. The ending section if absolute nonsense if you pause your emotions to think about it, particularly:

(I) a bunch of baddy ships that couldn’t leave the system because for some reason only a single ship knew the way (?!?) and it was too complicated to navigate… yet the goody ships made it through absolutely fine.

(II) Palpatine says that if Ray kills him he will have won and turned her to the dark side… but she kills him and it’s fine :confused:

I enjoyed all of them in the cinema though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't care what people say, outside of lightsaber duels, this is probably in my top 3 favourite scenes in all 9 films:

(right up to the 45s mark and then Finn ruins it :p ).

rp2000

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kyo
Caporegime
After 7 was as bad as it was (I'm not a SW fan, btw), did any of you really hold out any hope for the rest of them?

7 was downright awful. Devoid of any new ideas, and everything they copied they made worse, not better, not even on par. Absolutely pathetic attempt that made the actual SW fans I know quite depressed!

I checked out the (critical) reviews of the 8 and 9 and chuckled to myself that Disney was so incompetent that they could ruin such a beloved franchise in as little as 3 movies (although for me one was enough!)

Caporegime
The issue I had with Abrams reboot is that it just didn't feel like Star Wars, similar to his reboot of Star Trek. The main takeaway I personally had walking out of the cinema after watching ep 7 with my son was disappointment. Managed to talk him into seeing 8 when it came out (hoping it would be better, we'd watched Rogue One and enjoyed it), and by God, it's possibly the worst film I've ever watched. So yeah, I will never watch ep 9.
His Trek films are pure garbage, too. All of them. Never really understood the love for Abrams. Everything he reboots turns to ****. (And I *am* a Trek fan, for the most part!)

Soldato
His Trek films are pure garbage, too. All of them. Never really understood the love for Abrams. Everything he reboots turns to ****. (And I *am* a Trek fan, for the most part!)
They are so stupid it's untrue they have had no rewatchability for me, apart fromt the Sabotage clip in Darkness and who doesn't love The Beastie Boys. They have no internal consistency for their own World building, utterly brain dead which is what you need to be to get any lasting enjoyment out of them. Which is a shame because the actors by and large do a fine job.

Sequel Trilogy was a disaster for me. I watched Awakens 3 times, Jedi twice (cinema + rewatch with wife) and whatever the last one is called once. They ****** all over the OT and added nothing worthwhile, I can't see myself ever watching them again. Love Star Wars, Andor, The Madalorian, Rebels, Rogue One, Clone Wars and the OT are all great in different ways. The sequel trilogy is a tragedy that still feels raw, I can't see me going to watch another SW movie unless I hear lots and lots of positive reviews from people I trust.

edit: Is the last film called "The Skywalker Cremation"? I genuinely can't remember.

Last edited:
Don
I can understand why trekkies don't like the Star Trek reboot, they're not Star Trek films, but just generic sci-fi films wearing a Star Trek skin. I enjoy them for what they are, but the last one specifically (I think it was anyway, with Idris Elba) is particularly bad film regardless.

Back
Top Bottom