US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Caporegime
Errr no we have two: HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales. I'm sure, if needed, they'd be fully operational battle stations! The QE is in for scheduled maintenance and the Wales takes over.

Leaks or not, they're formidable machines.

Not that we need them there, useful to have but regardless, plenty of airbases available.

Soldato
Do you honestly think America just wants peace and good will to all men?

Sort of, yea. If America had a magic wand, what would countries like Iraq look like? Would they look like they do in the current form? or would it be capitalist society with Starbucks on every corner?

The problem is America is never really gonna be seen like that from within, too many power vacuums, causes more problems than it solves i think.

Soldato
Do you honestly think America just wants peace and good will to all men?

I think America wants stabilty in the Middle East and security for Israel. Do you think Iran is run by some benevolent group of men who don't want to see Israel wiped off the Earth? Do you think they don't fund and support groups that also want that goal?

Caporegime
Sort of, yea. If America had a magic wand, what would countries like Iraq look like? Would they look like they do in the current form? or would it be capitalist society with Starbucks on every corner?
Exactly. America wants a world that looks like them.

They're not really bothered about peaceful co-existence with people who prefer to do business elsewhere (like with the Russians). They're quite happy to use the CIA et al to push for regime change in countries that aren't pro-America.

They have (as do we, historically) a history of destabilising entire countries and leaving a bigger mess than they ever found, for the sake of "bringing freedom", aka contracts for US firms and installing governments that will bow to their will.

It's not about peace and freedom and all that jazz, it's about doing what's best for their own interests. Even if that means starting wars.

Soldato
Exactly. America wants a world that looks like them.

They're not really bothered about peaceful co-existence with people who prefer to do business elsewhere (like with the Russians). They're quite happy to use the CIA et al to push for regime change in countries that aren't pro-America.

They have (as do we, historically) a history of destabilising entire countries and leaving a bigger mess than they ever found, for the sake of "bringing freedom", aka contracts for US firms and installing governments that will bow to their will.

It's not about peace and freedom and all that jazz, it's about doing what's best for their own interests. Even if that means starting wars.

But a thriving economy relies on cooperation and stability, it goes with the territory, why do you think the gdp of countries like Iraq and Syria is incredibly low?

People don't keep assets or money in countries that are volatile

Caporegime
But a thriving economy relies on cooperation and stability, it goes with the territory, why do you think the gdp of countries like Iraq and Syria is incredibly low?
A whole host of reasons. None of which are solved with American bullets and bombs.

Corruption, religion to name just two.

e: Question: what do you think America can achieve in such places? Besides ******* all the natives off, which is a given?

Soldato
I don't think we should be in the ME. But i have no problem with a ME country asking and paying for military defence, just like NATO does.

The problem is, everything gets thrown into the mix when it comes to the ME.

Now back to my question..

Why does the ME have such a massive problem with conflict, but the western world and far east dont?

Is it America causing all these problems, or is it religion?

Caporegime
I think America wants stabilty in the Middle East and security for Israel. Do you think Iran is run by some benevolent group of men who don't want to see Israel wiped off the Earth? Do you think they don't fund and support groups that also want that goal?

America wants stability as long as it has significant influence over the governments in the area. Same with most of the other regional players. Iraq (and Syria) are both heavily affected by proxy wars between the US, Russia, Saudi, Iran and Turkey. There are never any "good guys" in these sort of conflicts, everyone has a motive.

You have to ask yourself this? Why does the ME have such a massive problem with conflict, but the western world and far east dont?

A multitude of issues as mentioned above. Religion is certainly one of the factors, but even that is in part due to the divisions being taken advantage of by regional powers (Sunni - Saudi, Shia, Iran for example).

It's not like the ME is the only unstable area in the world. Large parts of Africa have been conflict zones for decades, many of those supplied by and stirred up by the US/West and Russia/East to gain influence in those regions. SE Asia used to be a violent area too, with wars and dictatorships abound. Arguably the rise of China there has reduced the instability in that region, hence why there are far fewer incidents there in the last couple of decades.

Last edited:

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Nah it was the coalition forces keeping those sectarian idiots apart.

It was Iraq’s inability to get along (much like Northern Ireland) that lead to ISIS. The Shia left the Sunnis feeling rather isolated on a national level and left some Sunni leaders rather ambivalent towards ISIS.

As for the Shia side, they’ve had a strong Iranian influence for years and likewise Iran has been operating there unofficially for years.

Currently US forces are there with the permission of Iraq, if Iran is going to actively try and attack them they have the right to respond to that.

The Americans lighted the initial sparks, the idiots carried it on from there.

Looks like permission will be revoked very soon.

Soldato
Well given that we're all talking about Iraq here...

Well we're going down a bit of dead end here, im not exactly going to defend the Iraq war.

And we're sort of getting off track, the issues i raised where about what America wants, you think its about destabilisation, but its not really, America would ideally want a stable country.

Do you fancy having a pop at my question..

Why does the ME have such a massive problem with conflict, but the western world and far east dont?

Man of Honour
Well we're going down a bit of dead end here, im not exactly going to defend the Iraq war.

And we're sort of getting off track, the issues i raised where about what America wants, you think its about destabilisation, but its not really, America would ideally want a stable country.

Do you fancy having a pop at my question..

It goes back far longer and roots far deeper than just America causing these issues or religion. America as today didn't even exist when half these troubles began though many want to lay the blame soley at the door of Gorge Bush, etc.

Soldato
Yea, that's i posted about sectarianism further up. It's something the ME needs to figure out for themselves..

But i can also potentially see a situation where a genocide happens and people will suddenly be calling for countries in the West to sort it out. Its very difficult, do you just leave them to it, or do try and mediate and stabilise the problem.

Back
Top Bottom