Harry and Meghan to resign

Soldato
OP
The same time you met President Trump, of whom you have strong opinions ;) You don't need to physically meet someone to have an opinion of them, if you did this forum would be like a ghost town...

I was pointing out the contrast and double standard between the two quotes of yours, read it again.

As for Trump, you must be confusing me with someone else as I rarely discuss him, if at all.

Caporegime
So over 70% of Canadians when asked if they would be ok paying for Harry and Meghan voted overwhelmingly no.

Which IMO is right, of course the RCMP will provide them with security as it’s something they do anyways whether they live in Canada or not.

Soldato
LOL no chance they're becoming financially independent - they'll be flying back and forth across the Atlantic while banging on about climate change etc... taxpayers will still be paying for their security etc.. taxpayers have already forked out for their house renovation in the UK, now they're moving???

Tax payers are only paying because the Royal Family agree to hand over all earning from estates and other businesses, to the government, which in turn give them a grant. I'm sure if they just kept the earnings from the estates, they'd be able to finance themselves.

Caporegime
Tax payers are only paying because the Royal Family agree to hand over all earning from estates and other businesses, to the government, which in turn give them a grant. I'm sure if they just kept the earnings from the estates, they'd be able to finance themselves.

You mean the Crown Estate? That's basically stuff that would belong to the state if we were a Republic. (Not that I'd be too confident about them being able to hang onto the Duchy of Cornwall or Duchy of Lancaster either were that to happen). They could keep Sandringham and Balmoral, other privately owner properties and investments etc... but they're rather reliant on funding from the state - I mean the bill for security alone is close to 100 million apparently, the MOD spends a decent sum keeping public duties battalion in London, a few incremental companies of Guards too and a regiment of cavalry all dedicated to guard duty/displays etc.. at the Royal Palaces etc...

Permabanned
You mean the Crown Estate? That's basically stuff that would belong to the state if we were a Republic. (Not that I'd be too confident about them being able to hang onto the Duchy of Cornwall or Duchy of Lancaster either were that to happen). They could keep Sandringham and Balmoral, other privately owner properties and investments etc... but they're rather reliant on funding from the state - I mean the bill for security alone is close to 100 million apparently, the MOD spends a decent sum keeping public duties battalion in London, a few incremental companies of Guards too and a regiment of cavalry all dedicated to guard duty/displays etc.. at the Royal Palaces etc...

Like me stealing all your money, And giving you most of it back apart from my very large cut. And i said this from a Loyalist background. The Royals no not need Harry and they do not need all of this money.

Indeed when it comes to number crunching in future, You will see that putting all them resources and benefits in the hands of a family that can muster maybe 12 people versus the 65million you should be better looking after. It is like wherw i live, No one really owns any land around here apart from the duke with his 13000 acres. 1 family has all that while the majority have nothing.

Thats the recipe for long term population decline.

Man of Honour
I mean the bill for security alone is close to 100 million apparently

Makes me laugh in a way - I stood on a roof once within 50m of the Queen and Prince Philip - nothing in between us, security not even giving me the slightest glance.

Caporegime
Like me stealing all your money, And giving you most of it back apart from my very large cut. And i said this from a Loyalist background. The Royals no not need Harry and they do not need all of this money.

Indeed when it comes to number crunching in future, You will see that putting all them resources and benefits in the hands of a family that can muster maybe 12 people versus the 65million you should be better looking after. It is like wherw i live, No one really owns any land around here apart from the duke with his 13000 acres. 1 family has all that while the majority have nothing.

Thats the recipe for long term population decline.

Well most land isn't quite as important these days tbh... I mean that kinda changed during the industrial revolution - sure before then land was what the upper classes relied upon to fund themselves - post industrialisation though their large estate weren't sustainable/affordable form their income as large landowners.

But yeah the Royal Family is well looked after, I'm not Republican, they're useful (diplomacy, soft power etc..) and I don't see a need to scrap them but they are a bit of an extravagance at times - they basically live like billionaires (in fact they live much better lives than most billionaires who have their wealth tied up in companies/on paper) - I guess in some senses they are billionaires(or at least the Monarch and Prince of Wales are), in other senses they aren't in so far as they can't go and make some extravagant purchase like buying a mega yacht but in terms of the value of what they access, the value of their income stream(s) to pay for their staff/expenses etc... certainly not too far off the situation of other billionaires or hundred-millionaires who are the result of inheritance/dynastic wealth actually owned by a trust/controlled by trusties and mostly needs to be preserved and passed down.

Associate
Megan thought being a royal was going to be just talking to A list celebs and going to film premieres staying at Elton johns mansion but its not all glitz and glamour you have to do royal duties meet the little people opening community centers in Grimsby is not glamorous for her.

Soldato
Megan thought being a royal was going to be just talking to A list celebs and going to film premieres staying at Elton johns mansion but its not all glitz and glamour you have to do royal duties meet the little people opening community centers in Grimsby is not glamorous for her.

Not really followed this story, but I agree with this view - I expect she thought people would be bowing to her and all sorts. Of course, I could be massively wrong - but I dunno, just got a sneaking suspicion.

Man of Honour
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-51145321/actor-laurence-fox-s-question-time-clash-over-meghan

When all else fails just shut down the debate with a call of white male privilege!

The fact that she just started repeating the phrase "white privileged man" over and over pretty much showed what her agenda was. The moment you start simply repeating a catchphrase you are no longer showing independent thinking, you're then just showing fanatical thinking. The whole racism thing is frankly ridiculous and pathetic, there are a lot of people out there who just didn't like Meghan and I would wager the vast amount of those people didn't like her because of perceived character traits and apparent attitude rather than the colour of her skin. If the country, as a whole, was as racist as these people make out then there are a million british black actors, actresses and sports people who would be constantly vilified because of their skin colour, instead of held in general high regard like the Idris Elba's, Lennox Lewis's, Ian Wrights and Richard Ayaode's of the country.

A decent comparison would probably be Diane Abbott, she is held in a fair bit of contempt and dislike by many in the country, its not because of her skin colour, its because of her. The whole Meghan racism thing is just a big old smokecloud.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The fact that she just started repeating the phrase "white privileged man" over and over pretty much showed what her agenda was. The moment you start simply repeating a catchphrase you are no longer showing independent thinking, you're then just showing fanatical thinking. The whole racism thing is frankly ridiculous and pathetic, there are a lot of people out there who just didn't like Meghan and I would wager the vast amount of those people didn't like her because of perceived character traits and apparent attitude rather than the colour of her skin. If the country, as a whole, was as racist as these people make out then there are a million british black actors, actresses and sports people who would be constantly vilified because of their skin colour, instead of held in general high regard like the Idris Elba's, Lennox Lewis's, Ian Wrights and Richard Ayaode's of the country.

A decent comparison would probably be Diane Abbott, she is held in a fair bit of contempt and dislike by many in the country, its not because of her skin colour, its because of her. The whole Meghan racism thing is just a big old smokecloud.

More likely its a bit of both.

Man of Honour
More likely its a bit of both.

I don't know, I mean obviously there will be some people for whom its a racial thing, every country on the planet has racism after all but I would say that's in the VAST minority in this. I think its extremely overplaying it to be saying its the reason, which is of course what many flag wavers and virtue signallers are saying. Quite a few of my friends and colleagues dislike her, not one is because of her skin colour, its for a bunch of other reasons (things she has done, things she has said and in the case of some of my female friends and colleagues a sort of protective mothering instinct over Harry). But then the race card fills a more weighty agenda than a just don't like you card.

Back
Top Bottom