• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 5600 and 5600 XT speculation

Soldato
I love the comments with regards to the pointfulness (my new word) of the card.

Regardless of where it sits in a product stack, and regardless if another company has an equivalent card at a similar price, it does not render the card pointless. If you applied that logic to every other type of product you buy then why would there be so many phone manufacturers, car manufacturers, TV manufacturers or anything else that someone else makes?

Lets just have zero competition in every market place, at every price point, and see who starts complaining when you are paying more for everything and have to put up with waiting for the manufacturer to decide when the next product should come out, and charge whatever they like for it.

picard-facepalm.jpeg

Apparently it does,plus the good old the drivers are better so buy the more expensive part. Because if the RX5600XT has driver issues,then all those RX5700 cards for under £300 are null and void too. Of course if someone does not have driver issues with AMD it can't be possible,and neither can anyone have driver issues with Nvidia. So buy a slower RTX2060 and their "perfect drivers" with less VRAM,because Nvidia will laugh all the way to the bank,and charge even more,even if AMD has a faster card.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The card is far from pointless. However... AMD are again fighting with themselves rather than the competition.

As has been mentioned before, they may be trying to prop up the prices of the other cards, by trying to force prices higher. However, the 5600xt is now sooo close to the 5700.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I have a few mates with a mix of AMD and Nvidia cards,including GTX1070s,GTX1080,Vega56,RX5700XT,GTX1060s,various Polaris cards,etc yet I am yet to see anyone having any major driver problems. If you go on the internet you might as well go and buy a console,but then most people I know don't seem to keep updating drivers 100 times a year for everything.

So what - you could get RX5700 reference cards for £255 which is faster than your RTX2060 and the RX5600XT.

Big deal. I have a GTX1080,but I don't feel the need to say Nvidia drivers have no issues,and AMD has had driver issues for years.

If that is the case none of the nvidia drivers would be listing bug fixes and Nvidia driver threads would be like a page long. I remember one set of Nvidia drivers would keep making Planetside 2 crash repeatedly so I had to stick with an older set of drivers. That was with my GTX1080 and I play that game a reasonable amount. It also meant I couldn't get improved performance in some of the newer games I wanted to play.

I had a GTX660,which had a particular driver bug with one web browser,that didn't go away for months,and I thought it was a software issue,until someone told me it was a driver bug. Used a different web browser.

Yet at the same time,had mates who had an AMD card who didn't have it. The grass is always greener on the otherside. The same goes with Linux drivers,it went from Nvidia being the best and AMD being really ****(which was the case),to AMD having really good open source drivers.

Been around long enough to remember cards like the FX and their fantastic drivers,or the whole windows vista report where Nvidia wasn't certifying their drivers properly and causing problems.

You should know better too.

Strawman much. At no point did I say nVidia had 'no issues', I quite clearly stated that nVidia drivers 'aren't perfect'.

I have been around long enough also, and used a hell of a lot of GPU's to know their quirks. But all that is irrelevant as we're discussing cards out today, not AMD's 8500 LE not rendering half the surfaces in C&C Renegade in 2002. Right now there is no question that AMD's drivers aren't up to scratch compared to nVidia.

As you say, the bugs you've listed for nVidia drivers tend to be specific repeatable use cases. The black screen issue for AMD, not so, it's a systematic issue that seems to affect pretty much their whole current GPU range from Polaris to Navi, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to if you'll be affected or not.

The black screen issue on AMD drivers is a big deal and does impact many users, and has been (and still is) a consistent issue with AMD GPU drivers over recent years. You say you have friends who don't have any major issues, that's great, I'm glad they don't have problems. On the other hand I have first hand experience of the black screen issue on my own PC using a Vega 64, on my wife's PC using a Vega 56, several of my friends had issues with 290's and 390's (though I never had a problem on those cards), on Polaris GPU's, and recently on 5700's. The issue is the same regardless of GPU, you'll be playing perfectly fine, then out of nowhere, black screen requiring a system restart to fix. Doesn't matter if you are running stock, overclocked, underclocked, it'll happen, and it makes playing any game impossible as you never know when it's going to kill your system. It's infuriating.

What I can also say is every single one of those black screen issues vanished the second the GPU was swapped to an nVidia alternative. I'm not saying that's a good thing, or that nvidia are perfect, but it's a fact in all the cases myself and my friends who have had the black screen issue have experienced.

It's very hard to recommend AMD GPU's at the moment, even with their great price performance, when its a crap shoot as to whether or not you're going to be hit by black screen issues.

Soldato
Strawman much. At no point did I say nVidia had 'no issues', I quite clearly stated that nVidia drivers 'aren't perfect'.

I have been around long enough also, and used a hell of a lot of GPU's to know their quirks. But all that is irrelevant as we're discussing cards out today, not AMD's 8500 LE not rendering half the surfaces in C&C Renegade in 2002. Right now there is no question that AMD's drivers aren't up to scratch compared to nVidia.

As you say, the bugs you've listed for nVidia drivers tend to be specific repeatable use cases. The black screen issue for AMD, not so, it's a systematic issue that seems to affect pretty much their whole current GPU range from Polaris to Navi, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to if you'll be affected or not.

The black screen issue on AMD drivers is a big deal and does impact many users, and has been (and still is) a consistent issue with AMD GPU drivers over recent years. You say you have friends who don't have any major issues, that's great, I'm glad they don't have problems. On the other hand I have first hand experience of the black screen issue on my own PC using a Vega 64, on my wife's PC using a Vega 56, several of my friends had issues with 290's and 390's (though I never had a problem on those cards), on Polaris GPU's, and recently on 5700's. The issue is the same regardless of GPU, you'll be playing perfectly fine, then out of nowhere, black screen requiring a system restart to fix. Doesn't matter if you are running stock, overclocked, underclocked, it'll happen, and it makes playing any game impossible as you never know when it's going to kill your system. It's infuriating.

What I can also say is every single one of those black screen issues vanished the second the GPU was swapped to an nVidia alternative.

It's very hard to recommend AMD GPU's at the moment, even with their great price performance, when its a crap shoot as to whether or not you're going to be hit by black screen issues.

So again you start with another attack on AMD - 8500 rendering this and that. So what about the FX GPUs being so crap at DX9(drivers being part of the problem) that Gabe Newell said people to buy ATI cards instead?? He literally showed how poor they were - you obviously don't know better.

I know about 20 people personally in real life and online and they have mates too. To say it affects their whole GPU line-up and then ignore Turing had a big issue at launch is a bit disgenuous.

RTX Black screen threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rtx...hXHMMAKHY3YDWAQ8NMDegQICxA_&biw=2048&bih=1016

No one buy a Turing card because all of them have black screens,right?? :rolleyes:

I know a few who jumped on the Vega56 and GTX1070 cards when they were cheaper,and they didn't have all those problems. Polaris GPUs - no problems. I had an RX470,and it never happened once,in a small form factor rig,with limited cooling running off a 450W PSU. I actually reviewed and overclocked it when I upgraded to a GTX1080 and I sold it to someone who mined with it. Another mate has had a few Polaris cards,and not had any issues with any of them. He is the one who got a RX5700XT for £320 close to launch,and also a GTX1070. A few others with Polaris too.

One of my close mates has had an R9 390 since launch so nearly 5 years now,and a few others I game online with had R9 290/R9 390 cards and didn't have those issues you have.

I might have believed you, before you started mentioning cards like the Polaris ones and even cards like the R9 390. These people just not only play newer games,but plenty of older ones too,which you could argue if there are problems,there will be less fixes for.

You are just on purpose bigging up problems which apparently don't affect lots of people owning AMD cards,and on purpose trying to say Nvidia has zero problems or not important problems.

You are literally saying no one even should buy an RX570 8GB over a GTX1650 which costs more due to "driver problems" since it first started with the RX5700, and now seems to be affected cards even made years ago.

I think you are coming across as the grass is greener on the other side,since you bought an RTX2060 and are coming into an AMD RX5600XT thread since you feel the value of your RTX2060 is affected,especially with the RX5700 dropping in price too.

LMAO,apparently Polaris is not worth it now.

I think we need to agree to disagree on this. Polaris has crap drivers,the same Polaris used in all the consoles and has very mature drivers. Must be those consoles,I think! ;)

The card is far from pointless. However... AMD are again fighting with themselves rather than the competition.

As has been mentioned before, they may be trying to prop up the prices of the other cards, by trying to force prices higher. However, the 5600xt is now sooo close to the 5700.

I said that ages ago,as I felt that what was going to happen. Its why anything over £250ish is AMD taking the mickey.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The 2060 has been available under £300 for months, you could pick up the Palit StormX card for ~£279 back in November and that was with 2 games, this is just an official price drop. Much like how 5700 RRP is still $349 (~£319), but it's been selling for £299 for months.

nVidia drivers aren't perfect, but on the whole they do 'just work', you don't see hundreds of posts about constant black screening with every 'fix' under the sun ranging from using different power cables, using different monitor cables, turning off option X, enabling option X, undervolting, overvolting, sacrificing a goat... these issues have been plaguing AMD GPU drivers for years. Even more so since Vega.

Stop being a chump, I have a machine with a 1060 6Gb in and one with a vega in it. I have used them both over a year with the driver updates having little grief, both wont be immune to issues but I dont magnetise to one brand. The 5600 is already near £250 if you shop about, and will be nearer £200 before long leaving a distance between it and the cheapest 2060. This 'just works' slogan is a proper laugh considering it was Ray-Tracingesque which up until recent times has been a joke.

Soldato
Stop being a chump, I have a machine with a 1060 6Gb in and one with a vega in it. I have used them both over a year with the driver updates having little grief, both wont be immune to issues but I dont magnetise to one brand. The 5600 is already near £250 if you shop about, and will be nearer £200 before long leaving a distance between it and the cheapest 2060. This 'just works' slogan is a proper laugh considering it was Ray-Tracingesque which up until recent times has been a joke.

All the AMD cards he owned and all the cards his mates owned all black screened and went kaput or something. Polaris too.

Must be a gypsy curse.

Soldato
All the AMD cards he owned and all the cards his mates owned all black screened and went kaput or something. Polaris too.

Must be a gypsy curse.

Im not denying some people had it. It is an issue, but like you rightly said @CAT-THE-FIFTH nvidia users have had it in their range so its rather strange to be focusing on a problem BOTH brands are having. He obviously didnt check out the vega threads as I posted in a few times where people had flaky PSU's or use the same PCI-e (daisy chained) which once they applied one of them changes.. suddenly the black screens went away! Go check, it remedied over 50% of people complaining about black screens - so it wasnt the GPU at fault. Seasonic admitted it was the noise on the rails for example.

Soldato
AMD released drivers addressing the BS issue and so far appears to have fixed it. If you are still having BS issues with those drivers I would also ask if you are daisy chaining pcie connectors onto the vidoe card because it is true that caused BS and other clock rate problems.

You be surprised how many tasks some have at desktop. I've seen some actually have GameBar active just at desktop. Don't ask how they managed that, lol.

Associate
I have been using only AMD gpus since 2010, and never had major problems with drivers, only once i needed to reinstall drivers, but other then that i was gaming without any issues. Vega 56, had no issues since i bought it. Once i was getting blue screens, but that was coused by old psu, after changing it, no problems what so ever.

Soldato
Im not denying some people had it. It is an issue, but like you rightly said @CAT-THE-FIFTH nvidia users have had it in their range so its rather strange to be focusing on a problem BOTH brands are having. He obviously didnt check out the vega threads as I posted in a few times where people had flaky PSU's or use the same PCI-e (daisy chained) which once they applied one of them changes.. suddenly the black screens went away! Go check, it remedied over 50% of people complaining about black screens - so it wasnt the GPU at fault. Seasonic admitted it was the noise on the rails for example.

It just seems really weird for so many of the Polaris GPUs he and is friends have to be literally unusable with black screens.Polaris is based on the same GCN revision as Fiji and Tonga with some additions,and is used in the consoles. Its years old by now,so to have literally all their Polaris cards have that issue,is some achievement.

Soldato
Hmm, sounds to me like he and his friends is an exaggeration. Switch to nvidia and its all better! Except you read post 4 replies up - that dude had it happen to his nvidia card.. yeah exactly. Same symptoms, poor diagnosis, blame wrong component.

I had a 290x for 5 years and it never gave me issues like that. That was a Hawaii? Drivers only got better and % boost over time. Thing was noisy and hot but I installed AIO and was solid.

Man of Honour
I literally must be the only person on the planet that has owned probably 10+ vega cards, radeon 7, the entire rx5xx range bar the 590 and has literally never seen this black screen issue. Thats probably 30 cards and never once have i seen it. Ive not seen it on nv either to be fair.

My 7 even seems to recover fine from getting a bit silly with the oc whereas speaking to some other people a failed oc tends to result in a straight lock. Im even running some cards on seriously old skt 775 oem motherboard so would almost expect to have seen this.

Im not even defending the drivers as the latest broke boneworks for me so not perfect by a long shot but far from unusable or even unstable imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the drivers sure aint perfect, we all agree. Its just not the train wreck some people are soap boxing about.

All this recent talk has me worried about switching back over later in the year.

The freesync on my tv needs an AMD card to run. So was thinking 5800xt or what ever comes next.

I really don't wanna go back to rendering device lost on overwatch and random black screens.

Back
Top Bottom