TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
I suggested that the license model should be changed to general taxation, and that means you pay whether you choose to use it or not.
The current way the license works just allows the freeloader approach to flourish, that's why I suggested general taxation as a solution.
No to adding adding another pointless expense onto my bills/taxes.

Caporegime
What about if an individual in your household is in another house half way across the country?
On a temporary basis, such as holiday or visiting relatives, that's ok. Would come under fair use. On a permanent basis or more than a few weeks/a month? Then they're no longer part of your household and should have their own subscription.

If Netflix starts being pushed hard by Disney+ and drops subscribers they could start to look into this more and start sending warnings about use outside the household simultaneously

Soldato
Do you send away normal employed gas and electricity meter readers or is it just your TV about which you are so sensitive and harassed?
If your Gas and Electricity company was let’s say British Gas and had always been British Gas. Would you let the NPower or Shell Energy inspectors in to look around every single room in your home including bedrooms, look around on any computer, phones and tablets and to let them self’s into your back garden randomly to look through windows. Not just once but when ever they feel like it just to check you are not using NPower or Shell Energy whom you have never used in your life?

Caporegime
Last thing I'd want is it to go into general tax .

150 extra a year? No thanks.

It isn't exactly like your bins being collected or the NHS.. You don't NEED it. (I guess since are addicted )

I've actually never paid since living away from home. I must have saved nearly 2k.

Soldato
It isn't exactly like your bins being collected or the NHS.. You don't NEED it. (I guess since are addicted )

NEEDing a service isn't a precursor for tax contribution toward it; a childless couple doesn't NEED the local school etc. However, it's available to them should they ever NEED or choose to use it.

That's the concept that most freeloaders can't get their head around, like the guy who doesn't pay because he only wants to watch the events that suit him.

You are assuming everyone angry is watching BBC the content sucks all i want is sports, But not for £154 and i am not going to pay otherwise

There's also those convinced that they don't own a TV and so don't need to contribute, even though they watch YouTube streams on a regular basis.

This is why I feel that general taxation is the best solution, it removes the ambiguity and makes it fair on those who genuinely can't afford the current license fee yet depend on the service.

Capodecina
Soldato
NEEDing a service isn't a precursor for tax contribution toward it; a childless couple doesn't NEED the local school etc. However, it's available to them should they ever NEED or choose to use it.

That's the concept that most freeloaders can't get their head around,
. . .
This is why I feel that general taxation is the best solution, it removes the ambiguity and makes it fair on those who genuinely can't afford the current license fee yet depend on the service.
This, absolutely this.

It is absolutely incredible that some people are so selfish and mean-spirited. If parasites insist on avoiding funding the public good, general taxation is the sensible solution. The one problem I can foresee is the risk of the BBC becoming a propaganda arm for the Government of the day.

Soldato
It needs to be moved from a license model to general taxation. The current system just encourages the permanently enraged freeloaders.

I'll happily pay £20 a year extra tax for some basic impartial news and some other programs.. The BBC does not need billions..

Caporegime

That's the concept that most freeloaders can't get their head around, like the guy who doesn't pay because he only wants to watch the events that suit him.

There's also those convinced that they don't own a TV and so don't need to contribute, even though they watch YouTube streams on a regular basis.

Its not exactly like schools, hospitals, police, etc is it
It's entertainment.
You have many alternatives

Netflix, YouTube, endless streaming sites.

Id much rather broadband be general tax than some dinosaur of an institution the BBC is.

Where do you draw the line?
I want Netflix in general tax
I want amazon prime in general tax
I want my bus fare in general tax
My rail fare
My petrol

BBC on the list isn't that important

Associate

It's clear from this post you have a strong agenda FOR the TV Licence and I'm struggling to understand why. If you like the content, then great :) but please don't expect me to pay for the things you like as a tax.

I have no children but I'm quite happy for my tax money to support schools as this is the foundation of youth and helping the country move forward with potentially skilled people - the comparison between tax for schools and TVL doesn't make sense.

The TVL on the other hand is something that is in place to support the BBC fat cats as they are unable to stand on their own two feet.

A lot of people don't want or need the BBC, it's not as if it is a channel that delivers any particularly good content or impartial news - couple that with their chequered history of protecting sex offenders and it's time for it to be torn down and rebuilt to make it more applicable to the times we live in. They either need to attract advertisers or change their model to a subscription.

Stop campaigning for us to pay more tax :p

Back
Top Bottom